cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car Dolly question

Winstonsdad
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure the question has been asked and answers given, but I didn't see what I was looking for on my quick search. We are considering getting a Class A and towing a car with a dolly. First question, can you tow any vehicle with a dollie or does it have to be front wheel drive only? If it's rear wheel drive, do you simply put the vehicle in neutral?

Don't laugh too loud at my stupid questions because I'll have more to come!!
thanks in advance
05 Durango 285RL
04 F250 PowerStroke 4x4 Crew Cab
10 REPLIES 10

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to not tow more than one car, I would suggest you consider towing 4 wheels down. I tow 4 wheels down and my friend tows on a dolly. He now says he wishes he had elected to tow 4 wheels down.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

jewel2010
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Prius which I tow on an Acme tow dolly (It has brakes and lights). It has taken some getting use to, but It works for us. It is a 2 person job to load and unload the car onto the dolly and the ground needs to be firm and flat. The other alternative was buying a trailer to haul the Prius or getting a new car that we could tow all wheels down. This is working for us.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"Supplemental brake are highly recommended in every case to reduce the emergency stopping distance."

Seems to me there is a big difference between "highly recommended" and "required". The statement I was referring to said "Most states REQUIRE..."; this is not true when referring to towed motor vehicles.
Plus, the fact remains, if you can meet the FMVSS and/or your state braking performance requirements, YOU ARE LEGAL, period!
The most common standards are to be able to stop from 20 MPH on a level, hard, clean surface within 40 or 45 feet. Montana is 40 feet, California, IIRC, is 45 feet, FMVSS, IIRC, is 40 feet. That is, for ANY "combination of vehicles".
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
mowermech wrote:
"...most states require braking devices on towed devices over 1500-2000 lbs..."

That isn't QUITE true. Many states do not consider towed motor vehicles as "trailers", according to their legal definitions.
Even considering trailer towing laws, that statement isn't really accurate. Some states say trailers over 1500 lbs. UNLADEN weight must have brakes, some say trailers over 3000 lbs GROSS weight must have brakes. Some have different limitations. Many states require that trailers that are required to have brakes have them on ALL wheels. That is, practically speaking, impossible with a car on a dolly.
Some states (including CA) have a "performance standard" for braking. This standard includes towing a motor vehicle, and is usually in line with the FMVSS braking performance standard. In Montana it is covered by MCA 61-9-312. I don't know what the applicable CA statute is, but I know there is one.
If you google "towing laws" you will find a number of lists. I recommend that you do not believe any of them. It has been repeatedly proven that they are inaccurate.
No, not every manual transmission vehicle can be dolly towed, nor can they all be towed four down. The same goes for vehicles with automatic transmissions.
Every AWD or 4WD vehicle I have ever owned specifically forbid dolly towing unless the rear driveshaft was disconnected or removed. SOME (but not all) can be towed four down.
I tow my Jeep 4 down. I tow my PT Cruiser on a dolly.

Supplemental brake are highly recommended in every case to reduce the emergency stopping distance.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bible when it comes to towing is the car/truck owner's manual. Look in the index under "recreational towing" or something substantially similar. It will tell how the vehicle can be safely towed. Some can be towed 4 down. Some must be on a dolly. Some must be 4 up on a trailer. Only your owner's manual knows for sure.

After being sure the car can be towed on a dolly, come back, start a new thread and we will discuss the best way to dolly it.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
"...most states require braking devices on towed devices over 1500-2000 lbs..."

That isn't QUITE true. Many states do not consider towed motor vehicles as "trailers", according to their legal definitions.
Even considering trailer towing laws, that statement isn't really accurate. Some states say trailers over 1500 lbs. UNLADEN weight must have brakes, some say trailers over 3000 lbs GROSS weight must have brakes. Some have different limitations. Many states require that trailers that are required to have brakes have them on ALL wheels. That is, practically speaking, impossible with a car on a dolly.
Some states (including CA) have a "performance standard" for braking. This standard includes towing a motor vehicle, and is usually in line with the FMVSS braking performance standard. In Montana it is covered by MCA 61-9-312. I don't know what the applicable CA statute is, but I know there is one.
If you google "towing laws" you will find a number of lists. I recommend that you do not believe any of them. It has been repeatedly proven that they are inaccurate.
No, not every manual transmission vehicle can be dolly towed, nor can they all be towed four down. The same goes for vehicles with automatic transmissions.
Every AWD or 4WD vehicle I have ever owned specifically forbid dolly towing unless the rear driveshaft was disconnected or removed. SOME (but not all) can be towed four down.
I tow my Jeep 4 down. I tow my PT Cruiser on a dolly.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Winstonsdad
Explorer
Explorer
What I was thinking is putting a Prius on the tow dolly (FW drive) vs a small pickup (RW drive). I don't know if the Prius can be towed 4 down but am fairly sure it can be towed on a dolly. I guess I would have to make sure the small pickup is towable 4 down with a tow bar. Either way, we need lights.

This is more complicated than my initial thoughts!! That's why I came here. Thanks for your help!!
05 Durango 285RL
04 F250 PowerStroke 4x4 Crew Cab

Leeblev
Explorer
Explorer
Not silly questions at all.
No, not all manual trannies can be towed. Generally speaking, the answer is no.
Why would you want to tow something that can be towed 4 down on a dolly?
I say this because I now tow 4 down and previously had a dolly with a FW drive vehicle on it. If you carefully analyze the costs of a good tow dolly VS. 4 down, they are pretty close.
Even with a dolly, you still need aux. lighting on the toad. Most states have a limit on how far a towed object can protrude behind your vehicle without lighting.
Also, you do need brakes on the dolly. I know many will say they aren't needed, but most states require braking devices on towed devices over 1500-2000 lbs. (That means tow dolly (around 5-600 lbs) and vehicle (around 2-3000 lbs.)
Take into account the weight of the dolly AND the toad for your total towed weight. It does affect your fuel consumption. A 4 down toad is shorter in length as well as lighter.
Good Luck.
Lee

2001 36' Kountry Star DP

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Not silly at all. I have seen cars backed onto tow dollies, but I understand this is not a good idea. The free front wheels will not track creating all types of problems. I personally would stick to front wheel drive cars, that was the design criteria, and that is where dollies have been successful.
JMHO

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
No, some vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly. Some AWD for example.
If you go with a dolly, suggest putting light trailer hitch on the toad. It helps for moving dolly around and in some cases for traveling where there is length restrictions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker