cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 3100 - running an AC - how many hrs out of a tank?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me how many hours a Champion 3100 inverter generator will run on a tank while running a roof air?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
67 REPLIES 67

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
If your so inclined, you can build your own kit by sourcing all the parts on Amazon. They watching the Pinellas video carefully, you can install it. That's what I did. The total cost for parts was roughly $70. I posted a parts list in a previous thread, just search for postings by me 'hbillsmith'.

If you haven't watched the Pinellas video, do a search on youtube for Pinellas Champion
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
hbillsmith wrote:
You can add an extended run tank using the Pinellas kit and a standard Yamaha connector outboard marine gas tank. The built in tank is 1.6 gallons good for 4 or 5 hours of A/C. I use a 6 gal. External tank that I share with my outboard. With the external tanks you can swap without worry about spilling gas on a hot genny and causing fire.

Is this what your using?
Extended Run Time Remote Fuel Tank Kit For Champion 3400 Watt Generator Gasoline only Not Dual Fuel
Extended Run Time Remote Fuel Tank Kit For Champion 3400 Watt Generator Gasoline only Not Dual Fuel
This is not some cheap gravity feed system, it uses an internal fuel pump included in the kit to transfer fuel so the remote tank does not need to be higher than the generator to work.

View Product $249.00
Nice but I don't know about another $250
Mel

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
We have been 6 hours using our AC but turned it off before generator could run dry. There are variables involved making the exact amount of time hard to pinpoint, we did have converter on and were using tv and satellite but fridge and water heater were on propane. In no way does our Dometic 13.5K AC unit max out our Champion 3100 watt genny, under the above scenario we were camping at over 7K elevation and genny was in eco-mode the whole time never missing a beat.

Did you have to change to the high altatude jet? When I told the owner of the Co. that I bought my Champion from, that we have property on the Canadian Border at 4200' Elavation. He sent me a high altatude jet for free. But we haven't been back there yet.
Mel

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
LP has less Btus of energy per gallon than gasoline ,
It will always use more LP than gas

But if you reverse the test, and use LP first, i think it will use a little bit less lp and a little more gas

I tried that but didn't mention it. I warmed it up about 5 minuites on propane and when I ran the A/C the overload would pop. After this happened a few times, I went to the gasoline and no problem. After the hour test, I went back to the propane and it didn't over load it. I guess it has to really be a very warmed up motor before the propane will work. and we really should only need it for the A/C or to recharge battery bank, if we have non solar charging days. Between our solar system and our Mr. Buddy heater I don't expect to use it much, and yes it is great to have the dual fuel option. and the remote or even just the electric start is a great option, especially for my wife. Sometime while boondocking I'll take off and go fishing our hiking around with the dog before she even gets up, so if she needs it she doesn't have to go out in the cold to pull start a motor. Like I told my wife when I bought the solar and then this Champion, the older I get I don't want to change where we camp or how long we camp. I just want to make it easier to do. Bottom line is I'm glad I chose this model.
Mel

MrWizard
LP has less Btus of energy per gallon than gasoline ,
It will always use more LP than gas

But if you reverse the test, and use LP first, i think it will use a little bit less lp and a little more gas
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I have paid as little as $1.99 for Propane in Quartzite to as much as $3.15 at Yellowstone KOA. At those same times, Regular Gas was $2.25 (same both places). This would make propane anywhere from twice to three times as expensive. But worse, if you are running attached to your RV's grill port off of a 20# (aka 5 gal) tank, you'll run out in the middle of the night and if its winter it would take your heater off.

But the good news, if you're traveling and making a short dry-camp style stop at a rest stop or retail parking lot, you may be able to plug in propane and run for that 30-45 minutes of quick stop.

It's always nice to have options. I'd still like to have the option for my Champion.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
So I ran it with gasoline and propane here are the results. On Gasoline I ran the 13500 A/C for one hour, it was in the 90's outside. one hour later it was 65 in the coach. I shut all down and refilled gas tank with a quart jar, it took 1 3/4 quarts of gasoline.

So I turned off the gasoline switch and ran all the fuel out of the carb. Then I hooked up a full 5 gallon propane tank. Started inverter pluged in 30a cord and started the A/C again ran fine for one hour. I shut down and went back to have the 5 Gal. tank refilled, 1.2 gallons. Kind of disapointing. Both test were done with the switch in the Economy ON.

It's a great little machine but I wish it would do better on the propane uage.
Mel

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Acdii wrote:
I really like the 3100 I have, the 75531i. It is very quiet even under load. If I can convert it to LP, that would be great, but haven't found a conversion kit yet.

You should call Paul at the # I made a couple post up. If they make one I think this guy will have it.
Mel

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the 3100 I have, the 75531i. It is very quiet even under load. If I can convert it to LP, that would be great, but haven't found a conversion kit yet.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Mel B. wrote:
I just ordered yesterday a Champion 3400 watt inverter with remote start. I had a dual fuel connection added for $145 and a hour meter installed for free. You can't get the dual fuel option with the remote start without doing it this way. I'm hoping That the propane runs my 13500 A/C if it does I don't think I'll ever use the gasoline feature, as we have a great solar system that runs everything else. And propane so much easier and cleaner. This cost me a little over $1200 I'll have here next week I'll let you know
Mel

So I got it today, it's out back now running for the 5 hour break in period, Having had recent back surgery I love the handle and the wheels. I'm going to make two 2x6 boards with a lip on each side and I'll be able to roll in and out of the truck. It's very quiet even when on high load, not much different then my son's honda 2000. I still could run in parelel if I chose to, but I don't think I will ever need to. So I'm running on propane now. But during 5 hour break in I have to change loads from o to 1/2 of the out put. And then I'll change the oil and tomorrow I'll start running with a full bottle under load from My 13500 A/C for two hours and then I'll go top off the 5 gallon propane and post how much fuel it used. So far I love it. The wife started it with the remote. she was inside the house and it was on the patio it fired right up, and you could not here it through our sliding glass door 3' away.
Mel

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Acdii,
I believe it is , but I didn't actually buy the kit separate. I bought it over the phone with Paul Cole Sr.
Super Gen Products
AZUSA, CA 91702
24HR CUSTOMER SERVICE
1-8-GENERATOR
and they put it on, I should get it this tuesday, after break in I'll post how long it runs on propane while running my 13500 a/c It doesn't power as many watts while running on propane VS gasoline but the owner of this Co. Said it will run the A/C on propane no problem, and the motor will last a lot longer on propane. Oh yeah I forgot that the kit also has a hook up to run on natural gas as well.
Mel

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Is this the kit? LP Conversion Kit Looks like it can connect to the trailers LP outlet. I wonder what the run time is on a tank of propane.

Mel_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I just ordered yesterday a Champion 3400 watt inverter with remote start. I had a dual fuel connection added for $145 and a hour meter installed for free. You can't get the dual fuel option with the remote start without doing it this way. I'm hoping That the propane runs my 13500 A/C if it does I don't think I'll ever use the gasoline feature, as we have a great solar system that runs everything else. And propane so much easier and cleaner. This cost me a little over $1200 I'll have here next week I'll let you know
Mel

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
C

lafester
Explorer
Explorer
Unyalli wrote:
I know the OP already has a gas only champ. I sold my twin 2000's with parallel kit and got one of the new 3400 watt dual fuel inverter generators. Removing the regulator from the propane motor and plumbing RV propane quick connect fittings you can connect to the outside grill quick connect and have endless extended run via the RV propane auto switch over.

- Jeff

That duel fuel generator looks awesome but amazon and walmart had a little price war on the gas versions and I got a remote start 3100 for $595 and a non remote 3100 for $533. Sold the non remote for $650 and kept the other. Worked out great because I was so close to getting the 2000 for $450.

Would hate to run out of propane but it would be good as a backup to the extended run tank.