cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion 75531i 3100 watt Inverter Generator

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking this for SC321BHTS with 15k BTU AC. I have seen a few people who say it will power the 15k A/C unit. As far as I can tell it should. Any thoughts on it? Amazon has it for $850, free shipping

I was also looking at the Champion 46539 (400/3500) which I can pick up for about $400.

I will use it once or twice a year and won't convince my wife we need to spend the type of money for a Honda or Yamaha.

Ideas or thoughts?
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP
8 REPLIES 8

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
That can be corrected by not using the eco mode while running the air. You would still get the benefits while doing other things like charging.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
There is a problem with running A/C with inverter/generators.

A/C compressor START-UP current flow/draw, more properly stated, RE-START current flow/draw with head pressure already elevated.

And...

The "old" style gensets always ran at a fixed RPM in order to produce 60Hz line frequency, less delay for opening the throttle to pickup the SUDDEN HUGE load demand caused by an A/C compressor motor re-starting.

Oftentimes the A/C motor CB might trip 3-4 times before the head pressure declined enough for the "slow" genset reaction to suffice.

Inverter genset engines might well be simply idling along producing 300-400W when the A/C motor needs to restart. Load requirement goes INSTANTLY to 3000W with an A/C restart.

Result: A/Csystem fails, internal CB open, shortly after warrantee period.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly if you can swing the extra for the 3100i, I would. I use the 3500/4000 because it can handle the altitudes I camp at but I would have loved having lighter, quieter and less gas consumption.

The 3500 works for us because we rarely use it and 99% of the time are not around others. In a dry campground we will rely on our solar and pray we don't need the air. Should a emergency happen I have a simple inclosure that knocks the noise down some but not much.

So if you plan on always camping as you are the 3500/4000 will do well for you. Take many gas cans to the desert because it is a thirsty beast when running the air. When we need air for more than a few hours a day we would go to a electric CG or higher up in altitude.

Since we can't use the 3100i, I replaced our original 3500 with the remote electric start model for $429 at Cabelas. Boy is that a nice feature and it comes with the wheels and handle so only $75 more than the basic model and wheel kit.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
I second the motion. Get the Champion 3500/4000 unit.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
Most of the time we use the TT at campgrounds. We have a couple very large sports tournaments each year the we are "overnight security" for and have the TT parked at the facility for a few days and are basically camping at the tournaments. Downside is no power. We're looking at one July 4 in the Southern California desert and I am thinking that I will have to have the generator there.

With that use I'd recommend the 3500/4000 unit
- sporting events, not quiet campgrounds
- less expensive for very little actual use
- it will run the 15k AirCon, no question

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the time we use the TT at campgrounds. We have a couple very large sports tournaments each year the we are "overnight security" for and have the TT parked at the facility for a few days and are basically camping at the tournaments. Downside is no power. We're looking at one July 4 in the Southern California desert and I am thinking that I will have to have the generator there.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where and how it will be used? I love my little 46540 4k/3.5k Champion. It will power my entire 30A TT but I only have it for emergency use not for normal camping. I find the power pedestal at the CG much quieter and economical.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of people ask about running air with a generator, but in reality I see very few people who ever actually do that. It's mostly by Class A's with built-ins.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman