cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chipmunks

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
How do you get rid of chipmunk in your motor home. I have found one nest already. Got rid of it but still have them inside . HELP
47 REPLIES 47

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
pfidahospud wrote:
Iโ€™ve heard of making an appetizer of 1:1 peanut butter and plaster of paris, put in a spot that only the tree rats can find. As I understand it may induce terminal constipation.

Well have to try that.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
pfidahospud wrote:
Iโ€™ve heard of making an appetizer of 1:1 peanut butter and plaster of paris, put in a spot that only the tree rats can find. As I understand it may induce terminal constipation.

I'm pretty sure the trap and drown is a more humane answer. Either way they die, but with drowning it is quick as opposed to a week or more of suffering.
Also just an FYI, depending on the state you are in, they may be "protected". So don't advertise what you are doing either way.

Personally, a chipmunk is not much larger than a mouse. They are stronger. A quality mouse trap tied in place so it doesn't get drug off into an inaccessible area would be my approach.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pfidahospud
Explorer
Explorer

Community Alumni
Not applicable
To answer your question if you are staying awhile like I did for the summer hosting in Oregon I did the following.

I made a cage around the MH by using 1 x 2 x 8 ft long furring strips and hardware cloth 1/2 inch. I made frames from the furring strips with the hardware cloth attached using staples with an Arrow stapler.

I measured along the bottom of the MH in 8 foot sections measuring the clearance from the ground to the MH on each end of the 8 foot section and then made the frame. I then inserted the frame in between the MH and ground. I made the frames a little taller so it was a tight fit.

For the wheels I used my wheel covers (MCD they cover the wheel well) as a template I cut the hardware cloth and used pipe insulation ( 3/4 inch) to go over the end of the hardware cloth so not to scratch the MH and made the fit tight and holding.

For other openings I just cut the hardware cloth to fit and attached using wire ties.

The front of the MH was a little harder to figure out because of the curve of the bumper but using just the hardware cloth with no framing worked very well from left to right on the bumper. Using 2 x 4s cut into 2 or 3 foot long sections and attached to the cloth on the bottom so that they could be used as a hold down using rocks on them. The top just fit behind the bumper.

Simple hand tools and a screw gun or drill will work but the one tool that I just happened to have was a pair of tin snips to cut the hardware cloth. WEAR GLOVES

Cost was a little over $100.00 the first year less the second year. Well worth the cost.

Time involve a couple of afternoons between duty rounds at the camp.

JimR

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
If you happen to know anyone with a ferret, they will dispatch any squirrel or chippy in short order.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
SAR Tracker wrote:
peanut butter in a "hav-a-hart" trap, then drown 'em.

Isn't this an Oxymoron. :@

Maybe so, but it works. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Scent repellents do not work.
Figure out how they are gaining entry, and block the hole(s).
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
A Black Racer!

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
I usually miss with my 22, but now with my shot gun, I can't even find the body.

Guy

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
valhalla360 wrote:
K Charles wrote:
Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

Then get Bill Murray to get rid of the woodchucks?

Prolly easier to just kill the chipmunks. Will they not go to a trap with peanut butter on it or similar?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
K Charles wrote:

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Squirrels ate the fuel line in one of my cars. .22 rifle and 7 dead ones later the problem was over. Now a red tailed hawk has taken up residence in our back woods and it controls the squirrel population well.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:

I don't believe that. We have many squirrels - often 8 or 10 at a time + several chipmunks. The squirrels chase the chipmunks away from food (usually seed that has dropped from the bird feeder) but that is about all that happens. They live in harmony.

WRT moth balls as a repellent - that has not worked at our house.
Two weeks ago I put mothballs about every 3 inches along our fence line to try and control the number of squirrels - made no difference. I also dropped 2 or 3 mothballs down the many chipmunks holes in our yard. Next day, the mothballs were lying in the grass.

Still working on plan C.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
My Jeep wiring harness was recently eaten by rats. Installed moth balls in a tube sock under the hood of each car to repel them. So far, so good. Might also work on other rodents.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
try peppermint oil. and a product called fresh cab. keeps mice away and works.