cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning rubber roof with bleach

ridesabout
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone use bleach to clean the rubber roof on an RV. When I asked an RV technician about the best product to clean a rubber roof, he told me he uses laundry bleach. Mixes it with water in a 50-50 mixture or 2 parts water to 1 part bleach. I believe it would clean well but would it damage roof?
22 REPLIES 22

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Use Spic and Span(liquid) with a few shots of Dawn dish washing liquid in a bucket of warm water....stiff brush and it comes clean, Just did it this last weekend.
cpaulsen

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can use the liquid version of Spic & Span diluted in a bucket of warm water. Don't think that you going to get the rubber roof sparkling white - not going to happen. You should also be able to find info in your manuals on cleaning the roof or go to the manufacturers web site.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

LaParamedic1998
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
ridesabout wrote:
I did a search and read posts I found. None addressed bleach issue. All thoughts are appreciated. We have recently been using Mister Clean Outdoor Magic Eraser on bug spatters and it works like a miracle. Just not sure it would be safe for a rubber roof.
Don't use the Magic Eraser on gelcoat or clearcoat. It will remove it along with the paint if your not careful!!!

For the rubber roof - Spic n Span powder and a long handled brush.

I have yet to find the spic and span powder in my area but I have found Bon Ami (the one with the little chicken on it).....their slogan is "hasn't scratched yet"....does anyone know if this would be as safe as the spic and span

batman99
Explorer
Explorer

Exactly what kind of roof?

If solid fibreglass and one wants to get the tough stains out, then sure. One might want to use diluted bleach. For Fibreglass roofs, I'd recommend a much safer degreaser (bought at home hardware stores) and use some $1 store rubber gloves as well.

For EDPM / TPO (rubber roofs), I'd use $1 store Spic&Span liquid and some good clean $1 store shop rags as well. Low cost, its safe on bare hands and best of all, no harsh chemicals on the rubber. If $1 store Spic&Span doesn't work for those really rough spots, then use Protect-All EDPM Rubber Roof cleaner. Its expensive but I find its great on those really tough roof stains.

When using Spic&Span and some rags, simply Scrub on / Scrub off - while on one's hands/knees as if washing a kitchen floor the old fashion method. And when on all 4s, I wear soft padded knee pads as well - also available at the larger $1 stores. Do this in-depth cleaning 1 time per year - in the fall (after tree stains and summer time dirty rains. And if it needs cleaning in the spring (after winter storage), simply use Spic&Span with a large sponge on a long handle. re: Easy clean method - to get the light dust off / before it locks in during the summer months.

This works for meโ€ฆ.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
ridesabout wrote:
I did a search and read posts I found. None addressed bleach issue. All thoughts are appreciated. We have recently been using Mister Clean Outdoor Magic Eraser on bug spatters and it works like a miracle. Just not sure it would be safe for a rubber roof.

Congrats on using "search"!!..:C

Often posters reply, suggesting someone use the search feature - as the same subject has been on here many, many times..;)
Others will chastise them for not answering the question directly..:(

Of course, "NO" is pretty direct, LOL!

But nonetheless you done good!

Expand on your search and use the archives (search over 12 months old).
Genuine plethora of info available.

BTW - IMO - skip the bleach and try a "milder approach" first..:W

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
When you rinse off, wouldn't that bleach streak down the sides and windows? I'd be a bit worried the slop is going to run down the sides and cause fade issues with decals and etching windows.

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Folks just to not take guests up to see the roof. They are made to keep the RV dry and not for show. As noted wash them from time to time with mild soap and get off of them and get to camping, visiting family/friends in rest homes, etc that are not mobile, or anything besides bleaching the roof. ๐Ÿ™‚

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Okie1 wrote:
Chlorine in water turns to salt so rinse lawn or shrubs near RV. I think that you need to brush up on your chemistry. And the answer is "NO" to using a strong bleach solution anywhere on your camper. It is way too harsh and actually bleach does not "clean" anything, it bleaches it out. One thing I have found that works extremely well is "Mean Green" from Dollar General, you can use it full strength if needed and won't harm any of the other finishes on your camper.

I DO agree, but I happen to have an exception on that, my first trailer had the white rubber trim that would start to turn black by the end of the summer, my solution was a marine product called Star brite (bleach product), I would spray it on and with a tooth brush would work it in...after a couple of times around the camper my moldings would look factory white...would be careful to rinse ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned. Remember anything you put on top runs down the side. I used Awsome. Cleaned the roof great, but faded the decals on the back, so no more Awsome on the roof.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
Chlorine in water turns to salt so rinse lawn or shrubs near RV. I think that you need to brush up on your chemistry. And the answer is "NO" to using a strong bleach solution anywhere on your camper. It is way too harsh and actually bleach does not "clean" anything, it bleaches it out. One thing I have found that works extremely well is "Mean Green" from Dollar General, you can use it full strength if needed and won't harm any of the other finishes on your camper.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I've used on the rubber roof on my last 2 trailers the past 13 yrs, cleans easy with little elbow grease...never had any issues. Just follow the directions
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Rubber-Roof-Cleaners-Protectants-p/38-8961.htm

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

therink
Explorer
Explorer
Dawn dishsoap and a soft brush. Every once and a while I use Clorox cleanup spray where there is mildew or stains. Works well and I can control where I apply bleach cleaner. I park my rig near trees at home and mildew develops if I don't stay on top of it. That mildew causes black streaking on the sides.
Steve (aka Mr Clean)
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a rv roof cleaner at Canadian Tire. Cost me 20 bucks. Worked great. Why take a chance for 20 bucks.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
ridesabout wrote:
Don't use the Magic Eraser on gelcoat or clearcoat. It will remove it along with the paint if your not careful!!!

For the rubber roof - Spic n Span powder and a long handled brush.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€