cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning the front cap

Showme_5vr
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the front cap is really dirty, no bugs really just runoff from the roof stuff from trees etc. What can I use to help me clean it besides soap and water? I don't want something that will ruin the finish.
Thanks
Steve
Steve & Judy 2023 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins HO Crew Cab LWB, 2017 Grand Design Reflections 337RLS
Lifetime Good Sam Member
11 REPLIES 11

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Us out West wrote:
noe-place wrote:
I use baby wipes and have for years. It even leaves a protective layer on the finish.

Protective layer of what? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lots of good products out there but we like Meguires.

Layer of baby oil. That's where they get the name baby wipes. Get it now?:S BTW I use Maguires on my Vette. :B

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
It helps to clean off your front cap after every travel day. That way the bugs will not bake onto the surface. Most parks have restrictions on washing the rig but allow the cleaning of the front cap. We just use plain water in a bucket (no hose) and our washing brush to clean the cap. Not only are the bugs gone, but the dirt is also gone.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
If your RV has a good coat of wax the bugs won't stick to it in the first place. Mine does and using automotive wash and wax in warm water does the job. Yes - love bugs too!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
michael8rc wrote:
Wash the roof and the black streaks will not appear. Black streaks are made up from the dirt on the roof.

True, but over time (a week in our dusty area) dust accummulates on the roof and creates more black streaks when it rains or with morning dew. The front cap of our fifth is the only area we get black streaks.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
SeaPower. Cleaner and wax. Wipe on, let set and wipe off.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

michael8rc
Explorer
Explorer
Wash the roof and the black streaks will not appear. Black streaks are made up from the dirt on the roof.
1998 Dodge Club Cab 4x4
2010 Wildwood 292FKDS

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
noe-place wrote:
I use baby wipes and have for years. It even leaves a protective layer on the finish.

Protective layer of what? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lots of good products out there but we like Meguires.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer

sleepyT
Explorer
Explorer
stro1965 wrote:
Whatever you do, don't use dish soap. Took the wax, and the shine, right off mine. Took a couple hours with wax and a buffer to fix that idiot move.

I think what ever you use to take the bugs or black streaks off is going to also take off the wax.:E I use " Scrichit":E No kidding, it works great but will take off the wax.:R Bought it from a vendor at the Hershey RV Show.:B
ROSIE&TOMMY
2007 GMC 2500HD DURA MAX/ALLISON
2013 CRUISER PATRIOT 305SK

IN GOD WE TRUST
SEMPER FI

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Black streak remover from Wally world.
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

stro1965
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever you do, don't use dish soap. Took the wax, and the shine, right off mine. Took a couple hours with wax and a buffer to fix that idiot move.
2018 Ram DRW 3500 6.7
2019 Keystone Alpine 3021