cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

towing double

ford_coupe
Explorer
Explorer
Any one know of new law in Michigan about having an endorsement to haul doubles in Mi.?
13 REPLIES 13

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I asked the question.
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
2 bumper pulls is perfectly leagal in Ca

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
Why would they check to see if you have a fifth wheel?
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Towing doubles in CA is so confusing to most CHP that they just seem to check that you have a fifth wheel and under 65 feet .
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan requires an endorsement on your license for 'Recreational Doubles.' No CDL required provided, of course, you're not doing it for commercial purposes.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/recreational_double_21025_7.pdf

As others have mentioned, other states may have different requirements.

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Good advice from mowermech.
I might add the similarity to boating rules which vary from state to state, even states sharing the same body of water.
Utah is a good example; Bear Lake shared with Idaho and Utah, Flaming Gorge with Wyoming and Utah and Lake Powell with Arizona and Utah.
And in most cases Utah is for restrictive.
In short you need to know the rules of the state your operating/driving in.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, check with each state you plan to travel in. I'm gonna guess that Golden doesnt pull doubles so hasnt checked the states actual rules.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
Probably like the other states.

Have a commercial license, keep a log book, and make sure your medical endorcement is current.

You will not need to go through the scales like a commercial truck, but still have to follow the hours of service for a commercial truck.

You will also need to pay attention to the overall length, and have brakes on all trailers.

I have heard the forward trailer must be a fifth wheel in most states, though some states allow both trailers to be bumper pull.

Good luck!

Fred.

Lots of misinformation there.
Yes, California DOES require a Class A CDL with doubles endorsement for towing recreational doubles. That is because that license is the only one that can carry the doubles endorsement.
I don't know about the other CDL issues (medical card, hours of service, logbook, etc.), but I have heard that it doesn't apply to CA RV users. CA is the only state I have heard of that has this requirement for licensing.
Yes, each state has its own maximum length and brake requirements. It is up to the owner/operator to know the requirements in every state in which they operate. Reciprocity probably does not apply!
Many states allow towing two bumper pull trailers. Again, it is up to the owner/operator to know the law. Again, Reciprocity does not apply.
DO NOT trust any list of towing laws that you may find on the internet. Nearly ALL of them have been shown to be inaccurate. check the laws in YOUR state, and any state you plan to enter.
KNOW the law where you are, and COMPLY with the law. If you do that, you won't have to rely on luck!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
PFitt has it right on the test and R also you can only double tow behind a 5er. You also want to check with your insurance company if you do double tow to insure you have that trailer and contents covered. Some insurance companies do not cover the second trailer without an additional rider to your policy!!

PFitt
Explorer
Explorer
MI requires an R endorsment just a test at S.S. no cdl for rv doubles

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
ford coupe wrote:
Any one know of new law in Michigan about having an endorsement to haul doubles in Mi.?

We moved from MI two years ago. We're back visiting a couple weeks ago and noticed a number of doubles (something I've never seen before in MI). I'm assuming there must have been some sort of change recently.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Checknwith your state not here. I live in Nv, dont need a CDL but i have one, dont need med card to pull doubles with Endorsement for doubles on reg lic, dont need a log book and can pull 2 bumper pulls in many states inc Ca.

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Probably like the other states.

Have a commercial license, keep a log book, and make sure your medical endorcement is current.

You will not need to go through the scales like a commercial truck, but still have to follow the hours of service for a commercial truck.

You will also need to pay attention to the overall length, and have brakes on all trailers.

I have heard the forward trailer must be a fifth wheel in most states, though some states allow both trailers to be bumper pull.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com