cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Compartment paddle lock, locked. How to open?

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
I have a trimark 060-0400 flush mount baggage paddle lock. Locked it (actually 2 of them) and won't unlock. When I locked them, the key turned very easy, so didn't force it or anything. I pulled the whole black box part out, because a screwdriver is a wonderful tool to push in the latches. All the other locks seem to work ok. Tried both keys. Tried almost every known lube known to man. That just isn't the problem.

$50-$80+ each to replace it. Really won't have that cash for months. Just spent $2500+ to fix motor home last month, and another $1000+ left to go.

So, how do I get this thing unlocked? It's not like you can get at the guts like you can with an entry door lock. The back is encased in metal.

This is what I have, but no plunger since mine used the triangle thing in the back to hook on side bars.
http://www.trimarkcorp.com/en/media/additional/060\060-0400.pdf

Thank you for help on this!
Clueless - 1998 Tioga 31ft

Blind -

It doesn't interest me who you know, or how you came to be here.

I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer
8 REPLIES 8

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
Just in case you haven't tried, have someone press down at the point the door joins up the RV while you try to lever the handle outward (without pulling toward you). Those latches can have leverage issues if the latch is tight, stuck..etc..

You probably already tied, however just in case..
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
What the heck is a paddle lock?
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

MrWizard
You have access to the back of the lock inside the compartment?

Pop the connecting rods of the triangle
Pull the rods open the door
Now you need to access to the back
If it broke inside , remove it any way you can, so you can replace it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

beckx020
Explorer
Explorer
There are no rivets on the back. The back is just a box with 4 posts for screws. Cast Aluminum? It does have something coming through it to hold the triangle that turns and opens the latches. But otherwise, nothing.

No way to get the paddle off of the back. I've tried to punch in the metal rod going through that the paddle pivots on, but it doesn't move either.

The key doesn't turn. It's the right key. TM500.

I would post pics, but have to load them somewhere.
Clueless - 1998 Tioga 31ft

Blind -

It doesn't interest me who you know, or how you came to be here.

I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

- Oriah Mountain Dreamer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Drill the rivets on the back side and open it up, what have you got to lose?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the 'RIGHT' key I guess I would squirt some WD40 into the key hole maybe... I see you have tried this already...

Double check your keys... I have several here that fits into the key sockets but only one works...

Not sure about your motorhome but some has the storage bay area directly under the ceiling that supports the bed mattress. This gives you another 18-inches or so of head room in the storage bay area... You may be able to install a passage way into your storage bay area through the bed mattress area... Definitely would be a great area to install LOCK BOX under your bed mattress...

My fifth wheel has a dirty cloths drop in the floor of a cabinet in the hall way to the bedroom. This has a clothes basket under it in the storage area... A small person could actually crawl into the storage bay area through this hole and perhaps unlock a latch from the inside...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If the key won't turn, get a locksmith. If the key will turn, Will the latch lift?? If latch lifts, and doesn't lift plunger, its gonna need to be replaced, probably broken latch bar inside. If so, get a big power drill, and several hardened drill bits.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.