cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Considering Consignment with Camping World, any experiences?

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at selling our 5th wheel and moving to a class A, was thinking of putting with Camping World on consignment, was wondering the good, bad and ugly of doing so. Any stories?
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)
32 REPLIES 32

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
Look on RVT and RVTrader for your rig. Average out the asking prices after throwing out the high and the low, knock off 20 percent and put it on Craigslist in February. Lots of pictures. Show your kids or grandkids (or borrow some cute ones from the neighbors) running around the outside.

Good advice but I can only find one of the model and year over at RV trader, and thats a private seller with his asking price reduced to $32K. From what I can tell comparable sized different floorplans are being listed by some dealers in the mid 30's, thats listing which usually has some float.

Smaller scale but we had a purchased new Keystone 2013 Hybrid we paid $18 K for in 2012. I sold it privately in 2015 after 3 seasons of use.
Paid 18K in real numbers, Black book was $15.4K high and $11K low in 15. Highest trade offered, and I was playing with multiple dealers all over the place, was $9K. I sold it after listing it on Ebay in 2 days for $12K and was glad to get it. I had it on both RV trader and RVT for a month, cost $150 each, never got a hit. We had it on Craigslist also, nothing but low ballers, tire kickers, and scammers.

I was so happy I delivered it halfway to the buyer who was from Little Rock, met him in Lexington KY. I would probably still be sitting on it today if I would have tried for the high number. Unfortunately in a lot of cases they are not worth what many think they are.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Look on RVT and RVTrader for your rig. Average out the asking prices after throwing out the high and the low, knock off 20 percent and put it on Craigslist in February. Lots of pictures. Show your kids or grandkids (or borrow some cute ones from the neighbors) running around the outside.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
They would be 5 hours north of me, not exactly convenient. Not sure where you got your numbers, but my dealer/friend looked it up and said NADA was 41,300, whse @ 28,500. I was expecting 40,000. Before you ask, he only handles small bumper pull trailers not 5'vers. Said he does not have the customer for a 40' 5. He did however handle the sale of my last to TT's as I moved up.

You have a 4yr old USED 40ft 5ver, pretty small market for such a large rig and the 5th hitch will limit your market even more.

NADA values are worthless since they tend to be over inflated and do not take into account current market conditions.

Your rig is only worth what a BUYER is willing to pay, sorry but that is how it goes with things like RVs.

Realistically, even selling it yourself you are going to be hard pressed to get near the Wholesale value of $28,500 and that is most likely going to take a long time..

Your going to have to price it to sell, not many people have $40K in cash in their back pockets for a used 4 yr old RV TRAILER so they WILL most likely have to take a loan.. I think convincing a bank to loan $40K for something valued closer to $28K is going to be a stretch.

Personally, since you are planning to buy a Class A, perhaps it might be in your best interests to use your 5vr as a trade in..

Yes, it will sting but you will be from under it quickly..

RVs are a depreciating "asset" and buying, selling, trading often WILL cost you dearly for those changes..

Great advice and sadly true. I took my numbers from black book and according to it, high retail on that rig is $38.7K and the low $29K, I split the difference saying $33K. That's what I would expect to put on it and move it. I agree, 40K is pushing it but then again that one buyer may be out there, you never know.

According to black book the retail on that rig @ 2013 was $69K. A savvy buyer will know the selling price in 2013 new should have been in the neighborhood of $52/$53K or less. And in actuality its more like 6 years old as 2013's were produced as early as 2011 and 2019's are already being made by some.

I wish the OP luck but pulling $40 K may be a tough time consuming nut. The way I see it thats 80% of the new price in 2013.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dog nights wrote:
They would be 5 hours north of me, not exactly convenient. Not sure where you got your numbers, but my dealer/friend looked it up and said NADA was 41,300, whse @ 28,500. I was expecting 40,000. Before you ask, he only handles small bumper pull trailers not 5'vers. Said he does not have the customer for a 40' 5. He did however handle the sale of my last to TT's as I moved up.

You have a 4yr old USED 40ft 5ver, pretty small market for such a large rig and the 5th hitch will limit your market even more.

NADA values are worthless since they tend to be over inflated and do not take into account current market conditions.

Your rig is only worth what a BUYER is willing to pay, sorry but that is how it goes with things like RVs.

Realistically, even selling it yourself you are going to be hard pressed to get near the Wholesale value of $28,500 and that is most likely going to take a long time..

Your going to have to price it to sell, not many people have $40K in cash in their back pockets for a used 4 yr old RV TRAILER so they WILL most likely have to take a loan.. I think convincing a bank to loan $40K for something valued closer to $28K is going to be a stretch.

Personally, since you are planning to buy a Class A, perhaps it might be in your best interests to use your 5vr as a trade in..

Yes, it will sting but you will be from under it quickly..

RVs are a depreciating "asset" and buying, selling, trading often WILL cost you dearly for those changes..

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never consign to an outfit that also sells new RVs (dealership). They will push new first and maybe show yours at times. Also, be sure you hold the title, don't give it to the consignment lot, just a warning.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Bob & Lynn

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 dog nights wrote:
We are looking at selling our 5th wheel and moving to a class A, was thinking of putting with Camping World on consignment, was wondering the good, bad and ugly of doing so. Any stories?

Seeing you're in central VA it may behoove you to call Beckleys Camping Center in Thurmont MD, about an hour N of DC.

If you want to go down the consignment road at least they'll be straight up honest with you. Good people at Beckleys, and Kelly the owner is a stand up guy. They actively pursue consignments and will honestly tell you what your trailer is worth, and what they anticipate it will sell at, which may or may not be what you expect. Depreciation is a killer on these things. Expect about low retail book price if you don't want to sit on it for months or years, but you never know when the one right buyer will happen along. The depreciation can be a real eye opener. I was about a day away from putting a 2013 we had on consignment with them when I got a hit from my Ebay ad, and sold it the same day Beckleys sent me the consignment agreement. The terms were very agreeable.

It's just my opinion, but I would expect about $33K sale price to move it privately or on consignment prior to commission being taken, or $22K wholesale/trade on your 2013.

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
Had a class A on a lot here, went to check on it after about a week. when I opened the door, it wasn't locked some homeless person had moved in. bed was filthy, garbage scattered all over and the toilet clear full, didn't bother to flush. made them clean it up and went to pick it up and someone had left the gas on and didn't turn one of the burners off all the way its a wonder they didn't have a big fire.
Jay D.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my old TT myself. it took me two years but I still got the money I wanted for it and I sold it for cash. I made copies of the sales agreement and the title. with the kids now old enough to bring the grandkids there are times we wished we had not sold it. but if you douse craigslist be careful of scammers there too

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 dog nights wrote:
Have seen the video, read the experiences of people re: insurance while on the lot
Still have to accept the fact, they have the traffic! Looking for personal experience, not antidotes.

:h

Thats a plain silly excuse.

Just because CW may have "traffic" it doesn't mean that their sales people are going to push or show YOUR rig. They are in the business to sell NEW units which they will get bigger commission on.

Post it on CRAIGSLIST with a REASONABLE PRICE (which is most likely a lot less than you think). You will get more "traffic" than CW since it will be fully exposed on the wobbly web.

Clean it up, make it look spotless, take lots of GREAT photos with a REAL CAMERA (not typically bad "cell phone" photos).

CL allows up to 24 photos on the post and the best thing is IT IS FREE TO POST, NO COMMISSION either.

Yes, it will take time and yes you will get no shows and tire kickers but you WILL in the end sell it.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If after reading all the negative stories on this forum about CW, your still comfortable with them, then by all means, use them.
Please dont come back afterward looking for sympathy though.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you're moving into a Class A, you might consider making an offer on one of theirs, subject them selling yours for your price on consignment. Gives them an incentive to actually show and sell yours ... close two deals at once.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Have seen the video, read the experiences of people re: insurance while on the lot
Still have to accept the fact, they have the traffic! Looking for personal experience, not antidotes.
Bob & Lynn

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Before doing business with CW please watch this video first.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
My dad put his 5er on consignment. It sat there for over a year while they sold their own trailers first. Meanwhile he was making payments and paying insurance on it.

I don't think it was camping world, but I suspect it's standard consignment behavior. There's no incentive for them to sell your RV over theirs. So if someone comes to look at yours, they will likely push them towards one of theirs.

If you go the consignment route, I'd say find a consignment only place.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)