cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

corrugated underbelly material...how to repair

shutdown
Explorer
Explorer
At the start of last season i had issues with my slide motor. when i replaced it i cut an access door in the corrugated plastic stuff. long story short that was the easiest day to access it.

I sealed it back up with 'permanent' duct tape. as it turns out permanent is a bit of a misnomer...its coming loose. in fairness it did stay almost an entire year and 2500 miles of towing.

is there something that would work better? or just redo every year.
20 REPLIES 20

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Here is another amazing product. The Last Glue.

Used it three times and will only lock repair if the pieces match perfectly so all oxygen is out. Did antenna on 5er, metal latch on a metal grill storage gate at home and then the front of my wife's hiking shoe!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I had my first use of "Gorilla Tape" two weeks ago. The wife's Buick was involved in a minor accident and the impact spot was on the front right bumper cover. The bumper cover (plastic) was cracked into large pieces which were recovered from the scene. Since the missus wanted to wait for body work until after I returned from out-of-town, I taped the pieces together, positioned the right turn signal assembly, and taped all together with Gorilla Tape. Since the tape is black and so is the Buick, you have to look hard to even see the breakage. All is still together after two weeks. Amazing stuff!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Darn, you are good, Stacey! We head to Yuma for a couple of days tomorrow. Home from 6 weeks in Indio, CA
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
When I had to cut the bottom coraplast material on my 5th wheel, I cut a 3 sided flap. Large enough for me to fit up and into the bottom for the repairs I needed to do. Folding the cut flap down. I cut the flap so should it ever come loose while driving the opening was cut towards the rear facing position. This way the wind could notcatch the flap and pull it open while under way. To secure the flap when I was done, I stopped at Home Depot and bought a 1 inch wide by about 1/2 inch thick strip of wood. I cut the wood long enough to fit the cut sides of the coraplast. I then overlapped the wood so 1/2 inch was laying ontop of the uncut edge, letting me use wood screws to screw through the plastic material into the wood. After doing all three sides the same way, I then lifted the cut flap up and then used the same type of screws to secure the loose flap to the exposed wood edge. Its secure, and sealed. I then used the Gorilla tape to keep dirt/water from entering the bottom. Should I ever need to gain entry again, pull the tape and unscrew the flap. Over the years the tape would start to pull loose, but the flap never moved.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

w4yn
Explorer
Explorer
I needed to take fresh water tank out of my KZ Sportrek.
The coroplast was thin and sagging. I found 10MM (.390") black coroplast at local plastic warehouse.
I supported it with plastic T pieces used for greenhouse's. Seems greenhouses use the clear coroplast for insulation properties and does not shatter!
It worked well and no sag at all!
I did find fresh water tank sagged when full so re-supported with a C channel I found at Homedepot, no more sag!
When weather improves I will redo whole underbelly.
Tim

faebrain
Explorer
Explorer
I've used zip ties to "sew" the seam, worked well for us...I followed that up with gorilla tape to seal the seam
2011 Ford F250 6.7 PSD Crewcab Lariat 4x4 (timbrens)
2015 Cougar 301SAB
Sold:2002 Ford F250 PSD CrewCab Lariat 4X4 (DP Tuner, plus other goodies!)
2008 Sundance 2890BHS 5Vr
Yamaha 2400iS

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
I would consider going this route, instead of tape. You can pick up chloroplast at any sign shop to practice on first.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/plastic-welders.html
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Gorilla Tape.Just don't let it touch your arm.Still have hair missing on both of mine
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Gorilla tape.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
eternabond tape

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
shutdown wrote:
... when i replaced it i cut an access door in the corrugated plastic stuff.

It's called Coroplast and has an endless variety of uses, including RV underbellies.

Yup. I make large RC planes out of it also.
Gorilla Tape, aluminum rivits, or with some difficulty super glue (but absolutely permanent). With super glue the coroplast needs a very brief flame applied to both sides, then glued.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
shutdown wrote:
... when i replaced it i cut an access door in the corrugated plastic stuff.

It's called Coroplast and has an endless variety of uses, including RV underbellies.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for Gorilla tape.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Dr__Blake
Explorer
Explorer
Gorilla tape - I used it 2 years ago, still stuck like the day I put it on.
2013 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali
2019 Outdoors RV 28BHS
Sold - 2012 Arctic Fox 25S
Alberta Canada

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax (Sold - I loved this truck)