cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cover or not to cover?????

joelyn
Explorer
Explorer
have a small 22ft TT which is kept in Az outdoors. Temps in the summer reach 110 plus and trailer is in full sun morning to night. My question is in regards to the roof, it is a TPM rubber roof and the trailer is a 2008.
I was thinking of getting a tarp just big enough to cover the roof and overlap about a foot all around and tie gal. jugs all around to keep it secure. Just to keep the direct sun off the roof all day.
My question is, doing this will that cause maybe to much heat build up under that tarp and cause damage to the roof more so than if it was just left exposed?
So any opinions as to whether to leave it exposed or cover it with a tarp?
thanks for any opinions and ideas.
8 REPLIES 8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You need to use it in cool places in the summer! ๐Ÿ™‚ It's in the 70's in Show Low, AZ right now. If you have yours at a storage facility you might even want to think about storing it in the AZ mountain towns. Rent might even be cheaper. Many 'valley' folks do that.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
A tarp will be a huge kite, nothing you will be able to do to keep it down. Tying it most likely it will shred in the monsoons, mine did. I have tried it in other applications here in AZ, doesn't work. I used the ADCO covers during the summer as we do not camp between the big 2 weekends. Though even with the heavy duty ones they only last one season, the heat kills them. I do the CW "warranty" so that every other year it is "free" so in essence I get them for a little over half price. This year I need to try another more durable brand. I've looked at some that others use here on this forum and their samples don't look all the much better at over twice the cost of the ADCO. So far this year it is uncovered.

I feel we need to cover in the summer months here (only if you don't use it) but I am out of ideas on what to use.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't use a tarp. They make RV specific covers to prevent moisture buildup underneath the cover.

Honestly, the BEST option is a metal Carolina Carport (or other brand, that's just the one I have). Relatively low cost and WAY more durable than a tarp or RV cover, easier to use (meaning you will actually use it every time), less risk of damage to your roof etc.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I tried an ADCO cover one year. Spent a ton of time timing it down, and still had several rub marks due to the high winds we get in our area. I wouldn't use a cover again. If your area of AZ gets less wind, maybe you will be ok.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
You could search this Forum for `rv cover' and read on and on. But in your case I would get a Sunshield tarp (or equivalent) and lay it on the roof with the silver side up. The gallon jugs will work to hold it down.
The silver side will reflect much of the suns rays and the air space between the tarp and roof will act as insulation.
I like your idea.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
joelyn wrote:
My question is in regards to the roof, it is a TPM rubber roof and the trailer is a 2008.

No such animal as "TPM" ... if it's a rubber roof it's EPDM, if it's vinyl it's TPO. Either way, if you don't want to use a full body breathable cover ADCO offers Roof Covers which would be a far better choice than a non-breathable tarp.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Get a cover that's for your camper, it will breathe and help block the sun.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

sonora
Explorer
Explorer
I don't believe it would be a problem if you used a light color tarp. Wind will be your enemy.