cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Craig's List Scam Buyer beware!

kapitch
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share information about a scam being run on Craig's List. I responded to an ad for a motorhome with very low mileage and low price. I received a response asking me to email the seller's wife, he provided an email address, which I did. She responded with very detailed information including VIN and pictures and a sad story that her husband had been transferred to Canada and she needed to sell the motorhome quickly as she was moving in a week. I expressed further interest, then received another email indicating she had turned the motorhome over to Ebay and they would deliver it to me free of charge and I had 5 days to change my mind. hmmm??? She asked for my name, address and phone number, and said Ebay would contact me to make the delivery arrangements. Being suspicious, I called Ebay and asked them about the situation and was told it's a scam being conducted with vehicles listed on Craig's List. I'm waiting for the email from "Ebay" asking to complete the deal. We will see if it goes according to the Ebay Agent I spoke to.

Once again...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Glad we discovered the scam before it was too late.

Kathy
27 REPLIES 27

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
You can tell when its too good to be true when I found a 2006 Monaco DP, they wanted $17k the real ad that I located was $85k.

I have seen a few where a guy work off shore and wants to buy his dad something, again if you are interesting in buying anything, see it in person.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every scam Craigslist ad I've seen I've taken some of the unique text from the description and pasted it into Google. It always finds the real ad, from another place like eBay at a much higher price.

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an item listed on Craigslist right now. Got a text message this morning from some one interested in buying it site unseen. First question is: "What was the last asking price"? Second question, "Will you take payments"? Third question: "Can I send a MoneyGram"? Last and final queston " What kind of payment wil you take"? Answer: "Full payment in cash when you pick it up". Never heard from this person after that. Scamer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking for an older F150 pick up. Came across a really clean 03 with 50k miles for $1500. I knew right away it was a scam. The first indication is the gmail account to email too. Not to mention that particular model of F150 goes for about $4-5k. Then I got the reply, my husband passed away and I have to sell it. So then I ask to come see it and that is when the reply's stopped!

If you have time to play go ahead. Otherwise move on.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
kapitch wrote:
I wanted to share information about a scam being run on Craig's List. I responded to an ad for a motorhome with very low mileage and low price. I received a response asking me to email the seller's wife, he provided an email address, which I did. She responded with very detailed information including VIN and pictures and a sad story that her husband had been transferred to Canada and she needed to sell the motorhome quickly as she was moving in a week. I expressed further interest, then received another email indicating she had turned the motorhome over to Ebay and they would deliver it to me free of charge and I had 5 days to change my mind. hmmm??? She asked for my name, address and phone number, and said Ebay would contact me to make the delivery arrangements. Being suspicious, I called Ebay and asked them about the situation and was told it's a scam being conducted with vehicles listed on Craig's List. I'm waiting for the email from "Ebay" asking to complete the deal. We will see if it goes according to the Ebay Agent I spoke to.

Once again...if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Glad we discovered the scam before it was too late.

Kathy

One and only post. Hmmmm.....

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Seriously can anyone be so dum as to buy motorhome or trailer sight unseen?
If they are they deserve to get scammed.

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Im from Omaha.
Tell her you have a friend in O that wants to look it over for you and see what she says. :B
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for joining.
Thanks for posting.
NOw stick around and learn from experts BEFORE you make a deal anywhere.

We share info here every day that will help you
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

braindead0
Explorer
Explorer
CL is for local face to face deals only, they state that all over the place. If you can't go and see the vehicle it's a scam or at the least prohibited by CL terms.

It's very easy to avoid being scammed.
2015 RAM 1500 4x4 5.7, 3.93
2013 Econ 16RB TT

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I get these on CL selling they want to send a check for more and have a driver pick up and me give them the difference from check for shipping. Yea sure! I just tell them to send the check to me at work in care of county sheriffs office. Never hear another word!!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
My name is Jennifer Hubble, happy to see you are interested in my 2010 Airstream Bambi , At just 17ft this trailer take sup very little room, but is perfect for travel for 2. The bath area is larger than most larger Airstreams and the rooftop AC cools this little trailer into the 60s.The Fantastic fan was just replaced. Inside all of the lights have been upgraded to LED and the house battery is a massive Lifeline AGM 4D that will run the trailer for the entire weekend. Also the microwave was changed out to a nicer Convection oven. Everything works as it should and the interior if free of smells, this trailer has NOT been smoked in. The trailer will come with the very expensive Hensley Anti-Sway Hitch and the dual 2,000watt Honda Generators. This trailer only weighs 2785lbs. empty, so it can be towed with most SUV's.It is light-weight, very easy to tow maneuver, and it is extremely well equipped. It has low mileage and it has been extremely well cared for! Please take a look at the photo.

The price is $8,500. Because of my divorce settlement, I own this motor home and I don't need it so I'm trying to get rid of it as soon as possible (that's why I'm selling it so cheap).

If you have any other questions, or need more info, please feel free to ask.
Thank you,
-----------------
Hi again,
I hope the photos "spoke" for themselves. THIS TRAILER IS RARE AND A UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY. NO Leaks NO Rust NO Wrecks NO Accidents, NO Rips or Tears in the Upholstery NO Smoke or Pet Odors, Runs & Drives

I will do my best to walk you through the process. As I told you in my first email, I recently got divorced. I got a new job and moved to Omaha,Ne for a new start. The rv is already at the shipping company in Omaha sealed and ready for the shipping,so you will not have to pick the RV up yourself.I advertised it on other states also to get more exposure and sell it faster. The deal is handled by eBay so I don't have much to do about it. Using eBay`s Buyer Protection Program, you get free delivery, at your place in 6-10 days. In addition, you get 5 days to try it out before buying it, and if you don't like it, you can send it back at my expense. If you wish to proceed just send me an email with your full name (for the bill of sale), a delivery address and a phone # where you can be reached and I will forward them to eBay and they will send you the invoice with all of the transaction details.

Thanks,
Jennifer
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have fun with them - tell them you're arriving there tomorrow and you want to see it. See how much the stutter over it being where you can't see it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks but, this a common scam that has been discussed several times on the forum.
You are correct, if it sounds too good to be true.....