Explorer
Explorer
K
14 REPLIES 14

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
timmac wrote:
Those drain hoses they put on some of those refrigerators are cheap plastic that will dry rot in a few years, found mine dry rotted and replaced it with a rubber hose, at least I caught mine before any rot damage.

Should be checked by all RV owners and replace that cheap plastic hose with a long term rubber one.

Did you have to pull the frige to replace the hose?

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
I,M going out tomorrow and inspect mine, hope you luck out, let us know.

X2
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
You bad person you. You didn't check your drip line from the refrigerator. Shame on you ๐Ÿ™‚

It happens to the best of us. Live and learn. Rvs are cheaply made and they cut corners where they can.

Do the best you can to fix the damage and put a better quality hose on your refer. You'll be fine.

Enjoy rving, ignore the castigators, they're not perfect either.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,M going out tomorrow and inspect mine, hope you luck out, let us know.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
mcguirehg wrote:
Drain hose was damaged and broken. The broken/brittle hose was provided to insurance comoany. System was put on to start getting ready for trip. Found water on the floor and immediately shut everything down. I wasn't expecting this much damage.

Something has been leaking for a long time. A one time leak does not rot the floor.

This really sucks and I hope you get it fixed in time to enjoy camping again.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
mcguirehg wrote:
Drain hose was damaged and broken. The broken/brittle hose was provided to insurance comoany. System was put on to start getting ready for trip. Found water on the floor and immediately shut everything down. I wasn't expecting this much damage.

This is not an insurance problem. Sorry to tell you, you failed to check the operational functionality of the equipment. Operator error.

I hope they pay you, but I suspect they will not.

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer
The hose is not quality. The hose was damaged in the upper portion behind the fridge. Very frustrating.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Those drain hoses they put on some of those refrigerators are cheap plastic that will dry rot in a few years, found mine dry rotted and replaced it with a rubber hose, at least I caught mine before any rot damage.

Should be checked by all RV owners and replace that cheap plastic hose with a long term rubber one.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just recently opened mine up (Norcold). It goes to a cup in the outside compartment. The end was closed from excess heat and not draining.

Before I opened this up, I was defrosting the fridge every 2 weeks. Now, it's been a month and I'm not looking at defrosting for another week at least, maybe not until we get home first week of May.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bad stuff happens. Frequently, in fact. This is one of those things where a small plastic part decayed due to age and caused a disproportionate amount of damage. If insurance covers this, I think you should count yourself lucky... because I would not even have submitted a claim for such a thing.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

mcguirehg
Explorer
Explorer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would NOT hold my breathe on INSURANCE accepting claim

2 issues

1) Did YOU maintain the drain hose insuring that it was properly draining to the OUTSIDE of fridge compartment??

2) Did the RV MFG. properly follow Dometic Installation Instructions when they (RV MFG) installed fridge??

Typical (very common method) Dometic fridge drain hose placement thru lower vent

Dometic Installation Instructions

CONDENSATE WATER DRAIN HOSE:
A 3/4" hole must be drilled through the flooring in the opening of the base plate on the rear of refrigerator (see FIG. 5D).
The installer must make sure that the hose does not kink when run through the floor.
Seal around the hose where it goes through the hole.

In vehicles where routing the drain hose through the floor is not possible, a metal clip is available.
The clip is used to drain water out through the side vent
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Typically, insurance pays for losses that are "sudden and unexpected." The fact the damage was caused by a long term exposure to water from a drain hose not properly installed and/or maintained, would tend to fall under not covered. Now a tree falling on the RV- no question. If you had a roof leak in your sticks and bricks house caused by poorly installed and/or maintained roof shingles (not from a wind or hail damage), would you expect your home owners insurance to pay to have the ceiling torn down and replaced? Therein lies your answer.

I hope the best for you, but hope you have realistic expectations.What you WANT them to pay and what they SHOULD pay may be two different things.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
How did it happen? The drain hose is supposed to either exit through the side wall vent or the floor. It is not supposed to drain on the floor.

If I was the adjuster I would have to call it negligence due to lack of proper maintenance.

Good luck with your claim.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900