cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

deep cycle battery... trickle or not to???

Fineoceanparker
Explorer
Explorer
I have all new batteries this year and want to have them last as long as possible. is it best to let the deep cycle battery get low and then charge with the inverter or better to take it out and put on a trickle charger? also what are your thoughts on the standard engine battery trickle or not? I guess i should say my rv will be sitting for 6 months. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Battery Tender. A "trickle" charger can cook your battery I believe. A battery tender will not overcharge.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Trickle" Charging used to be popular before modern multi-stage chargers came out

I would Depending on conditions, either plug in the RV full time or use a Battery Tender (TM) or battery Minder (TM) on them

Conditions:
1: Does RV have a good 3-stage converter such as a Progressive Dynamics Wizard controlled unit or a low end single stage such as the parallex 7300 or worse yet the magnetek 6300 IF 3-stage Then:

2: Is there a handy source of 120vac,, If yes, Plug in,

Else
Mark all leads with red/black tape or paint so you know how to re-connect, if multiple leads on same connector bind them together (Bolt or zip tie) remove batteries to place of power Set them on scrap wood (more on that later) and hook up the battery tender/minder device.

Why set 'em on scrap wood?
Myth: Concrete floor will damage battery
Fact: Battery acid on outside of battery case can damage floor
Fact: Scrap wood very cheap to replace if above fact happens, Floor not so much.

IF battery is a FLooded wet cell type, check fluid level and add distilled water as needed before storing, fully charge
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

alfresco
Explorer
Explorer
My battery is 14 years old and still going. I let the converter keep it charged up all summer, and remove and trickle charge during the winter.
I have never had a battery last this long.
Patti & Ron
07 2500HD 4x4 Silverado
23' Hornet 5er

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Not trickle. The correct term is battery maintainer. There are a number of good ones out there and they will extend the life of your batteries.

Battery Tender and Battery Minder are two common reputable types.

A muliti-stage power converter like those available from Progressive Dynamics will accomplish the same task. If you install a Trik-L-Start, it will keep the engine battery up whenever the house batteries are charging. Parasitic loads will kill a connected engine battery in storage.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Uplander
Explorer
Explorer
I remove battery to warm location in my home and put it on a trickle charger. I got mine for under $10 at Harbour Freight Tools...it keeps the battery safely charged through the long winter months.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a disconnect switch, 5er has gone as long as two months without a trip and battery still runs the slides out. In fact they have likely run them out a couple times during that time to do odds and ends in the 5er.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think "trickling" is well out of date.

I use a Battery tender by Deltran.

I never take the batt out of the RV.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
+1, don't let them get low. Low on charge is also susceptible to freezing.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Standard lead acid batteries love to be at 100% state of charge. Trickle them.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.