cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dexter easy lube axles

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
CAUTION BEWARE...... do not let anyone use a grease gun to pump grease into these axle's it will blow by the seals and put grease on your brake shoes and magnets and make them useless......I let a service guy talk me into letting him do it to avoid having to remove the wheels and bearings and grease them. I found out the hard way. Today I had disc brakes installed and the inside the hubs was saturated with grease and the shoes had soaked it up and were useless to stop the trailer. So be forwarded.......
22 REPLIES 22

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
BB_TX wrote:
If done right by Dexter directions they work fine. I have done mine three times with no problem. You just have to do it slow and easy and follow directions.

All you have to do is read the instructions. Had these on two trailers and never had an issue with them. Every other year I pulled them down and did a check and a manual repack.

So do not condemn something because it was used incorrectly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That grease could have easily gotten in there when the maintenance jockey at the dealer where you bought hauled his air grease gun and shot 'em full. Could have been done before you ever got it.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
My experience exactly les than one year old trailer on trip 16000 miles trip jacked op and pumped in a few strokes while rotating wheel to times on trip after coming home discovered grease on brakes in one of 4. So keap op telling people hove great they are, you may be lucky not every one are.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
csamayfield55 wrote:

New trailer has them. I actually have to have 2 seals replaced straight from the factory because after the first trip there was grease on the wheels.

Chris

I had the exact issue. I had to clean up grease all over the drums, and repack the bearings, on a brand new trailer. I discussed it with the owner of the dealership, who runs a small, and very honest place. He told me that they are nothing but a plague for his shop, and wishes that most owners would just ignore them, since many fail to follow instructions, and end up blowing grease on the brakes. IMHO, Dexter has done a real disservice to the public. I have seen salesmen try to sell the "blow and go" gimmick of how EZ-lube axles made the whole ownership experience nearly maintenance free. A lot of buyers believe the BS , and I have listened to some brag that all they ever do is blow some grease in the Zerks every spring, and they are good to go. I guess if your definition of "good to go" involves grease on brake shoes, and star adjusters that haven't been touched since the axles were on the assembly line at Dexter, you are indeed cleared for takeoff.

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
These bearings do NOT need as much repacking as is frequently stated on this and other websites,,,If done properly.

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
Last trailer I had used them. I pumped in fresh grease every spring and after 4 seasons took the bearing apart. It was like new. Did the same till year 8 and the bearings were still perfect but I wanted to check brakes so did a full lube. All was still perfect when I sold the trailer at year 10. Guess I will never learn!!

New trailer has them. I actually have to have 2 seals replaced straight from the factory because after the first trip there was grease on the wheels.

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
kellertx5er wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
If done right by Dexter directions they work fine. I have done mine three times with no problem. You just have to do it slow and easy and follow directions.

Which means you need to raise the wheel and spin it while pumping the grease.

I use my cross spectrum indexed gramulator to ensure the same volume of grease is being displaced out if the hub as the grease gun is putting in.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BIG problem is when people use a pneumatic grease gun!

I agree the guy in the video pumped the grease too fast.

Anyone notice how careless he was removing the hub caps and chipped the paint off the white wheel?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

Which means you need to raise the wheel and spin it while pumping the grease.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has less than 4K miles on it and was just in for some brake warranty work. The tech said there was plenty of grease in the hubs and not to touch them for a while. He also said that they are constantly repairing brand new seals because of the exposed grease fitting and uneducated owners.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you inspect the bearings and brakes without removing the drums?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I havent done mine yet but I did watch the video and I would have thought he would have pumped it in a little slower then he did. I always heard to pump the grease in slow while rotating the wheel.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
I've greased mine 5 times the correct way. No problems!!!!!
2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have been using my EZ Lube's for a while now and haven't learned the hard way yet.
If you follow standard operating procedure they work just fine. Try using the grease gun on them like you would on U joints, then you will learn the hard way.