cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did Marcus buy Trailer Life?

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that aside from the enormous amount of Good Sam and Camping World advertising in Trailer Life, the editorial strongly slants their way too. To me, the magazine is starting to look more like a brochure than an unbiased editorial product.

Has Marcus bought it?
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog
45 REPLIES 45

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well it didn't take long for this thread to take a 90 degree turn
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
No, CR does not receive one penny for advertisement. Plus it reports on common every day items that you and I use extensively. They don't report on jets or yachts due to the fact that the common person never uses them. And maybe, just maybe controversial items are best left to those controversial magazines that sell them. CR doesn't sell anything, except subscriptions to their magazine which is a benefit to the common purchaser.

Ron

CR has been proven more than once to be completely dishonest and rigging their results. You should be a little more open to reality
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
kcmoedoe wrote:
Consumer Reports clearly slants what it reviews to meet the interests of it's subscribers. You don't see them testing private jets or Yachts. They also stay far away from controversial items. Won't see to many handgun tests or reviews of sex toys.

What an astute observation - that a magazine would publish things that would meet the interests of its subscribers. If it did not, it would soon be out of business.
And how many of us own private jets and yachts?
And I for one, don't need to see reviews of handguns or sex toys.
I don't believe that Consumer Reports is perfect, but they DO NOT take outside advertising, as the previous poster has said. I don't see the point of your response.

capndan77
Explorer
Explorer
Just addressing your observation about the enormous amount of Good Sam / Camping World advertising you are seeing. Can't address ownership question. Sorry.

Seattle_Lion
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. Not my question. Doc Marcus buy Trailer Life?
2014 Heartland Bighorn 3160 Elite
2014 Ford F350 diesel, 4x4, SRW, crew cab, short bed

Happily camping with my wonderful wife Bobsgirl and our timid golden retriever Daisy Sweetpuppy

Life's a journey. Make it fun!

our new blog

capndan77
Explorer
Explorer
Good Sam Club members were advised quite some time ago that the member magazine would be rolled into either Motorhome or Trailer Life magazines, depending on which one you subscribed to. You could avail yourself to a 4 month extension to your subscription of your choice of the two. This notice advised you that the Good Sam magazine would no longer exist in a free standing format. This explains why you are seeing the Camping World/ Good Sam promoted so heavy in these two publications.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, CR does not receive one penny for advertisement. Plus it reports on common every day items that you and I use extensively. They don't report on jets or yachts due to the fact that the common person never uses them. And maybe, just maybe controversial items are best left to those controversial magazines that sell them. CR doesn't sell anything, except subscriptions to their magazine which is a benefit to the common purchaser.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Seattle Lion wrote:
I've noticed that aside from the enormous amount of Good Sam and Camping World advertising in Trailer Life, the editorial strongly slants their way too. To me, the magazine is starting to look more like a brochure than an unbiased editorial product.

Has Marcus bought it?

The answer is NO... he did not buy it as it was part of the Good Sam (Affinity) company way before Marcus became CEO

Posted By: Jim Shoe on 09/25/14 03:23pm

Really? Do you think that any magazine doesn't slant their articles to support their advertisers? Even National Geographic accepts advertising now. Subscriptions and newsstand sales just don't pay the printing and distribution costs.

Ever hear of Consumer Reports? There is not one advertisement in it for an outside company/enterprise.
Consumer Reports clearly slants what it reviews to meet the interests of it's subscribers. You don't see them testing private jets or Yachts. They also stay far away from controversial items. Won't see to many handgun tests or reviews of sex toys.
Mr. Shoe is clearly correct in that almost all publications do, in fact, target their articles to appeal to their sponsors as much as they do to appeal to their readers. Advertising is the lion's share of revenue for almost all media publications.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seattle Lion wrote:

Has Marcus bought it?

The answer is NO... he did not buy it as it was part of the Good Sam (Affinity) company way before Marcus became CEO

Posted By: Jim Shoe on 09/25/14 03:23pm

Really? Do you think that any magazine doesn't slant their articles to support their advertisers? Even National Geographic accepts advertising now. Subscriptions and newsstand sales just don't pay the printing and distribution costs.

Ever hear of Consumer Reports? There is not one advertisement in it for an outside company/enterprise.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Art Rouse owned Trailer Life and was the founder of the Good Sam Club. They have always been linked.

Rouse sold TL (Trailer Life) Enterprises in the 1980s.

In 1997 David Gavin sold Camping World to Affinity/Good Sam Enterprises.

All of this was long before Marcus Lemonis was around.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Yes
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
So, I guess the answer is yes?
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wkswenson wrote:
Trailer Life is a publication of the Affinity Group - Which is the parent company to all of the Good Sam/CW brands. Includes several mags.

Wiki says: "In May 2011, AGI announced that it was changing the company's name to Good Sam Enterprises."
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
GOOGLE SAYS:
Trailer Life is a magazine dealing with recreational vehicles.

Trailer Life was founded in July 1941 as Western Trailer Life in California.[2] In 1958, Los Angeles advertising executive Art Rouse purchased the magazine.[2][3] In 1992, Trailer Life Enterprises became part of the umbrella company Affinity Group Inc.[3]

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS