cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Difference between towing 3000 lb or 4000 lb?

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently looking at a couple of used Hi-Lo trailers as a "traveling trailer" instead of my normal TT. Just got back from a 3500 mile trip in a lot of high winds. We are going on about a 7000 mile trip in the spring so we thought maybe something smaller, lighter, lower would make for a more pleasant drive. We have looked at Scamp, Aliner, Travelite and Hi-Lo so far and liked the Hi-Lo the best. They are heavy for their size with an 18 ft about 3000 lb and a 22 ft about 4000 lb loaded to go down the road. I'm looking for input on how much difference a 1000 lb makes for towing on a Hi-Lo, Trail Manor, pop-up trailer, tandem axle utility trailer, flatbed, etc. Basically any trailer that gets down out of the wind behind the TV. I'm towing with a 2001 Suburban 1500 w/tow package and Curt Tru Track WDH so I think I have an adequate TV just looking for an easy towing trailer. My current trailer is about 5-5500 down the road but a standard height trailer.
10 REPLIES 10

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
If your 'Burb pullls your current tt (~5k lbs) fine in regards to accelerating (onto the e-way, away from stop lights/signs), I don't see any reason you would want to go with the lighter trailer that is smaller. Even the 22' is lighter than your current trailer, so acceleration, grade, etc should be a breeze with the low profile.

With that said, yes, there will be a slight noticable difference in regards to accelerating, or pulling grades, but not a huge difference. Pulling my 16' ta utuility trailer (about 1300lbs) empty or with the mower on (about 1300lbs) there is a slight difference in acceleration as I mentioned above, but not like when I load the trailer up with 2yds of dirt (about 5k lbs depending on how wet). Once rolling very little noticable difference as mentioned.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

marquette
Explorer
Explorer
That is interesting to hear about the difference between a TT and dump trailer. A dump trailer is very close in shape to a Hi-Lo.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Longer often tows better than shorter, to a point.

Yes the frontal and side area make a huge difference. My old 4K empty TT on flat ground took more power to tow at 55 than a dump trailer loaded at 15K lbs. (Same trailer, same road, same day).

I haven't replicate the test with my new TT but no real need to. TT's tow much heavier than they are.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Going down a straight level road, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

The only place you might notice is under hard acceleration, climbing a grade or hard braking. But, it sounds like your truck should be more than capable.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the extra weight will make it tow straighter. Requires more wind to push it and has more traction.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
not the weight.. it the front and side profile.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think 1000# with the low profile would make that much difference. Might take a little longer to accelerate and decelerate but it should tow easily. Much more aerodynamic than my brick.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
we love towing our hi lo. been to CA and back thru some serious winds in AZ and NM and never felt them. they are not light and built like a tank. my 17 ft. weighs 3300lbs with the weight distribution connected and we had an f150 v6when we went cross country and towed fine. now with the 2010 f150 v8 don't even know its there.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I can't tell you the difference in 1,000 lbs on towing but I can tell you that towing a low profile trailer is nice. I don't even feel my 3,500 lb PUP towing with a 1/2 ton truck and wind affects the truck as much as it does the trailer.

I expect you will see a big difference with the drop in frontal area. We don't mind the setup. Wish I had a hi-lo or PUP with slides and a toilet but other than that like my camper.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than buying a new TT wouldn't it be cheaper to get a better sway control hitch? Like say, a Hensley?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad