cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Directv Genie and RV

frankharwood
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Directv is offering to install the new Genie whole-house DVR at my residence. Right now I'm using my 2nd DVR in the RV and have only one contract. If I install the Genie, will I still be able to activate my DVR in my RV or does it need to talk to the Genie in the house to work. Thanks. Frank
Frank Harwood
13 REPLIES 13

frankharwood
Explorer
Explorer
I'm ordering the Genie today. I'll keep the HD DVR I use in the RV or ask them to replace with a newer one.

Regarding local channels, I had Dish network on the road for a while with what they call "out of market local channels." Worked great but each time I restarted service it took a minimum of 45 minutes on the phone to get service back up and restart local channels.

How well does Directv manage local channels while on the road?
Frank
2009 View A
Pensacola
Frank Harwood

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Guess it depends who you ask or maybe how long you are a customer I traded a SD DVR for an HD DVR and they gave me an extra HD box,when I converted to SWM.
I also have the extended service package so maybe that gives them more leeway.
I seem to have a box perbyearvfailure rate so I think it's worth it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
calewjohnson wrote:
ChopperBill wrote:
For what its worth we just had a Genie and one client installed to go with our three other receivers. $50 installation and free stuff. Two days later the Genie quit. A WEEK to get them back out! I was furious! I ran a cable from a spitter and hooked up the other receivers where the Genie******was. 15 year customer and NEVER had a problem until the magical Genie appeared. I told them to bring along regular receivers in case I wasnt happy with their service call.
P.S. If you didnt know it if the main Genie quits ALL related Genie components quit. So if you change make sure you keep at least one standard receiver.

With this known information, would it be too much to ask the installer to let me have a stand alone receiver (no DVR....). Would they be likely to do it? It has been about 10 years since I had DirecTV, so I am sure a lot has changed, but I never had a problem with them. As a matter of fact, when we moved overseas, we found six receivers in the floor of our coat closet, I guess we kept getting "free" equipment, but never used it....

Cale

I asked if I could swap out our DVR for just a standard HD receiver and they said I would have to pay for it. So we kept it and its a good thing. When the Genie took a dump my wife still had her DVR to watch Duck Dynasty reruns for the umpteenth time!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
My setup: Home HD Slimline 5, RV HD RF Mogul SWM and SD 18" portable dish. One HR24 receiver used on all 3 dishes.

And there are setup differences between all three. Not sure if we'll continue to carry the portable dish. We went to Alaska this summer and left it home for the extra space and didn't miss it.

Sometimes having a portable dish in the RV is useful. Of course we could buy a HD portable dish.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another option is to install a SWM dish in the RV then you can move the Genie from the house to the RV.

Be advised that there are some areas on the country where DTV does not transmit SD local channels, all local channels are HD. Hence no local reception unless you have HD.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
ChopperBill wrote:
For what its worth we just had a Genie and one client installed to go with our three other receivers. $50 installation and free stuff. Two days later the Genie quit. A WEEK to get them back out! I was furious! I ran a cable from a spitter and hooked up the other receivers where the Genie******was. 15 year customer and NEVER had a problem until the magical Genie appeared. I told them to bring along regular receivers in case I wasnt happy with their service call.
P.S. If you didnt know it if the main Genie quits ALL related Genie components quit. So if you change make sure you keep at least one standard receiver.

With this known information, would it be too much to ask the installer to let me have a stand alone receiver (no DVR....). Would they be likely to do it? It has been about 10 years since I had DirecTV, so I am sure a lot has changed, but I never had a problem with them. As a matter of fact, when we moved overseas, we found six receivers in the floor of our coat closet, I guess we kept getting "free" equipment, but never used it....

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
frankharwood wrote:
I wanted the Genie since my current DVR is always hovering around 15% usable space remaining. Sounds like I should be able to get the Genie and keep the old box for the RV without getting another account. Thanks for all the great input.

Please let us know how this works. I just ordered DirecTV today and will have a Genie. I will be looking to get a dish and a receiver for the RV, so I will be very interested.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

frankharwood
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted the Genie since my current DVR is always hovering around 15% usable space remaining. Sounds like I should be able to get the Genie and keep the old box for the RV without getting another account. Thanks for all the great input.
Frank Harwood

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
I just did exactly what you're asking about, so I can tell you how it works. We got the Genie system and a new dvr. We have 4 boxes in the house but only mainly use two. They took my old dvr and put it in the bedroom, so I can access the main Genie from there and also record 2 more channels in that room and I can access that room from the main unit. The one box I want to take out in the rv (a spare bedroom) cannot be a genie unit so they had to leave one of my original boxes, I take that one out and have used it once already and it works ok, but that box has no access to the Genie box but will get all my regular channels by itself, whether at home or in the rv. We don't have HD in the rv so its just a regular box. When I take it to the rv I have to go to the setup menu and reset it for the antenna out there but it only takes a minute.

Bottom line, if I had it to do over I think I'd NOT get the genie system unless you really need to record more than two at a time and want to watch your recordings from another room. No advantage other than that that I can see. They also gave me a small box to enable downloading of movies over my wifi but we have Netflix so I don't even use it. I only installed all the stuff because all the equipment was free and the charge is only $3/month extra.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I have swm genie system at home with 2 clients ( one is a DVR). I use these two clients in my rv (via a slimline 3 multi switch lnb dish setup) with no problem. I do have to change the settings to multiswitch in the dish set up menu when running them in the rv. Also, one of my receivers the HR24700 requires a Bband converter to use with the multiswitch dish.
Another option would be to convert my rv set up to swm but that would require additional investment for rv equipment.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
They offered Genie to me. I declined because if the Genie mother box ever dies you are out of luck until you get another one. Plus it costs more per month.

I opted for SWM conversion with three standalone SWM DVRs and one HD non DVR.
The installer sold me a SWM LNB, pore inserter, two diplexxers and splitter so I could convert my RV.
I wanted the house and RV to be identical so I don't change rcvr settings.

Converted the TVs to HD flat panels.

The diplexars let me use the factory cable run from the front to the rare for both sat and OTA to the back tv.

I also bought a Winegard Sensar Pro OTA signal meter and amp that I really like.

I leave two tuners in the RV and two in the house.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how you argue it with them. I had this exact conversation with them yesterday. They are giving me a genie and 2 clients for free. In return I said I am keeping my stand-alone receiver and returning an SD receiver, and I told them I am keeping it to be able to break it out and take camping. They said that wouldn't work, I said yes it will, and they said OK.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350