Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satellite Question

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Ok,

So I have read through a bunch of threads about satellite (Directv...).

Couple of questions still...

1. Can my home and RV be on the same bill? Should I just order the service with extra receivers (I will have my own antennae), then take one receiver with me when we are on the road?

I have seen conflicting info concerning NFL Sunday Ticket, do I need a phone line? I gather if I have RV service I do not get it, but if I piggy back on the house service, I can get it???

Thanks.

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler
21 REPLIES 21

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dish account at home, with a DVR at home. I have a VIP211 receiver in the motorhome. It is connected to the account, but not active. When we are going somewhere in the motorhome, I call Dish and tell them to turn on the receiver in the motorhome. Think it cost me a extra $6 or $7 dollars a month when that receiver is turned on. I call them and tell them when I get back home to turn it off.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on the service you have at home...if you have DVR set up on any receivers, those units must remain in their installed locations (same jack they were assigned to) in order to work properly. We have 4 receivers, 2 of which are dedicated to certain locations in the home, one remains in the RV all the time and is not a DVR unit. Since it sits idle a lot it must be activated by phone when we travel.

We went a different route for our service. Since we were once fulltimers we ordered the "mobile/RV" service to use in the MH years ago. Once we built our barnhome DirecTV didn't mind if we kept the service so we have east/west coast network channels all the time at home and in the RV.

Our so called "local" channels if we'd stayed without mobile,would have been out of Denver, 300 miles away so it is no matter to us losing those networks in our home time zone. We actually like having 2 time zones to catch our favorite shows to view and DVR. We don't watch those news shows. We get our local news from our local newspapers and radio. There are other sources for national and world news.

There was a time when DTV customers could just take a box along all over the country and still get the same same local networks stations. For the most part that is now not possible. The system knows where you are so once you are away from your local spot feed area those channels will probably go away.

When it is mentioned you lose "local channels" it means ABC, CBS & NBC affiliates. You should be able to receive other networks Disney, FOX, RFDTV, ESPN, History, AMC --whatever is in your package.

Give DirecTV a call and ask them about your options.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
calewjohnson wrote:
So you can be out for months watching Pay-Per-View then end up with a big bill when you get home.......
Not that I know of.

I don't know when the other posters last ordered PPV, but nowadays you can text or use your computer, and it's immediately billed to your account or CC on file. A phone line is old school. And so is a paper bill 'when you get home.'
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

greenskeeper
Explorer
Explorer
we have dish, hd tv, have the receiver in the motorhome all the time, the 2nd receiver only cost about $5 pr month why take it out...........

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Q:1. Can my home and RV be on the same bill? Should I just order the service with extra receivers (I will have my own antennae), then take one receiver with me when we are on the road?

YES, however.. If it is a HOME account then it does NOT qualify for distant network service in most cases (Yes there are exceptions).. If it is an RV account it does.. no reason to have a home account since you can use your extra RV receivers in the house as easily as the other way around.

As for Sundy Ticket.. Not an interest of mine but odds are you can order via the World Wide Wait,, er, Internet.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We are now at the Baddeck Cabot Trail RV Park on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. The mounted DirectTV Trav'ler dish brings in the signal well; however, I can't get a signal with the Winegard Carryout.
Both on PEI and here, we lost the HD signal often, but were able to get the same program on its non-HD channel.
Neighbor here could not get the signal; however, when we changed his "preferences" to all channels, he got it OK. Just recently found out that the HD signal is a bit more sensitive than the non-SD.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

12rvjoe
Explorer
Explorer
Dish Align is another App and it is free ..........

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as you don't get the "Tailgater" it will work with DirecTV SD. It will not work with DirecTV HD.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
We had 3 receivers in our house, den, master bedroom, DD bedroom. When DD moved out, we ran a coax to the RV parking space and moved her receiver into the RV permanently. Works great. Since the RV receiver stays hooked up 24/7/365 we never have to reset it.

For 5 years we had an antenna on a tripod. I finally got tired of DW having to yell out the window what the meter readings were. This year I bought a VuQube VQ2100 FLEX. Best buy I've ever made. About 1/2 the price of the VQ2000 that it replaced.

I second the suggestion of the DishPointer app for your smartphone. Even with the automatic antenna, it helps me find a clear space through the trees.

Purchased the new TT today (to be picked up in a couple weeks). Also setup DirecTV for a home install next weekend.... Stopped at the RV dealer to look at their VuQubes....they all say by Dish. Do they work with DirecTV? Seems like DirecTV is very proprietary.

Thanks,
Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
We have been going to Vancouver Island for about 12 years, and have always picked up the Direct TV satellites with no problem. Three years ago, we went the other way to Prince Edward Island in the eastern Canadian Martitimes and could not pick up the signal - even had the local TV folks come out and try, but no joy. We are back on PEI this year, and have had no problem getting the satellites both with the installed Direct TV Trav'ler dish and the Winegard Carryout.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
We bring our DirecTV receiver with on the road. But if we get very far away from home (130-150 miles) we can't get our local channels. Which means we don't get the major networks. However, we are pretty far north and the "footprint" gets smaller than the lower latitudes.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had 3 receivers in our house, den, master bedroom, DD bedroom. When DD moved out, we ran a coax to the RV parking space and moved her receiver into the RV permanently. Works great. Since the RV receiver stays hooked up 24/7/365 we never have to reset it.

For 5 years we had an antenna on a tripod. I finally got tired of DW having to yell out the window what the meter readings were. This year I bought a VuQube VQ2100 FLEX. Best buy I've ever made. About 1/2 the price of the VQ2000 that it replaced.

I second the suggestion of the DishPointer app for your smartphone. Even with the automatic antenna, it helps me find a clear space through the trees.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

h2guy
Explorer
Explorer
As a fulltimer, I have no phone line and have frequently, over the years, ordered a particular game on NFL Sunday Ticket, when a particular team was blacked out in some location I happened to be parked at.
Rick & Carolyn
01 Ford SC 4x4 DRW
01 CarriLite 5ver

twmw1126
Explorer
Explorer
Grey Mountain wrote:
We have taken our receivers from home for years. You can order PPV while on the road - do not have to be hooked to your phone line. When you do eventually hook up to a phone line, you will be billed for what you have ordered. We used a portable dish for years, then a few years back bought a Winegard Carry-Out automatic dish. It's programmed out of the box for Direct TV, but can be programmed for Dish. Just set it a flat surface with a clear view of the southern sky, plug it in and it will find the signal. Works great.
When we bought our present coach, it had an automatic roof dish. That dish went belly-up last year, so we had a DirectTV Trav'ler automatic dish installed. That's the only dish that would provide Direct TV HD. We recently upgraded to whole-house DVR at home, and DirectTV left one of the old receivers for use in the coach at no extra charge. We now take one receiver from home and use the old one for the coach.
If you subscribe to your local channels, you will not get them while on the road.

GM

I have always taken my home receivers with me. Like others have said no sense in paying for something you aren't using. We have four receivers at home and just keep one in the coach at all times until we store for winter.

BTW - I have always gotten my local home channels wherever I travel too. I have even gotten them in Florida. And I live in Kentucky. I like to keep up to date with home local more than local where I am at. I can use antenna for that.
Mickey & Teri
2012 Damon Challenger 37KT
2007 Jeep Liberty with blueox tow bar