cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do most state parks have a 30-foot length limit?

susanka
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone. We're looking at a 31'11" class A and have been told that most state parks have a 30-foot limit. I can call all the states to ask, of course, but am hoping some of you with lots of RVing experience can tell me if that is true, or to what extent it is. Thanks very much!
45 REPLIES 45

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to many state parks along the east coast (FL, GA, SC, VA, MD & PA) and have never encountered a state park that my 32' Motorhome couldn't fit into. We've been to some that only have a few sites long enough, but they have some.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the posts are ignoring the question. He asked about state parks, not national parks or forests.
Jayco-noslide

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that's not true. Some do and some may have only a few sites that long but there's no consistency about it. Older state park campgrounds tend to have shorter narrower sites but many are slowly being rebuilt and upgraded so it's just a toss up. We have a 30 foot MH and I don't think, so far, that we've found a state park that won't accommodate although I know of some that have some sites that won't work.
Jayco-noslide

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
manualman wrote:
A crucial point is being missed here. The first issue in question is not length.

First, you have to decide what kind of camper you are. If you are the sort who would never consider a site without full hookups (Mon Dieu!), then don't worry a whit about length. Pretty much anyplace you'd accept will have a place to fit you.

If, however, you prefer more rugged, primitive and spread out campsites and can tolerate no hookups, length can be a big limiting factor in many places.

The classic example is Yellowstone. Fishing Bridge is a soulless parking lot and yet there is always big demand to get in. I much prefer Canyon Campground sites (it is nice to have a walkable shower house!), but precious few sites will fit anything over 30'. No hookups.

I agree with your assesment. We typically prefer campgrounds that are more campground than hotel. Often that is older more primative sites. Many of these can take almost any length combination, but also many are spots that even getting a casita or scamp into could be a real challenge. IMHO there is NO set rule. Check info on the site beforehand and is my advice, and if in question CALL and they will often give you the info you needed.

We have one very very favorite site in Utah. When I found it, I called because I was concerned about our length 35 ft trailer, 20 ft truck. Host said there are 2 sites you can get into and to get to them you will need to go the wrong way on a 1 way road. When you arrive let us know and we will block the road so you can get to the site. Luckily the sites I need are reservable. When you exit you will go the wrong way to the dump station to make a U turn and we will watch traffic.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I will tell you that older National Forest Campgrounds that were built during the CCC era and are in the forests generally have smaller sites, but they are also dry and without amenities. We just returned from a trip in Oregon and on the state park maps, the length of every site is listed.
Happy travels

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
manualman wrote:

The classic example is Yellowstone. Fishing Bridge is a soulless parking lot and yet there is always big demand to get in. I much prefer Canyon Campground sites (it is nice to have a walkable shower house!), but precious few sites will fit anything over 30'. No hookups.

With our 40' motorhome we stayed in Mammoth, Madison and Bridge Bay - all without reservations.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
We were in a federal park earlier this year that had a 30 foot limit on most sites. I told them that my 32ft TT was 30ft. It fit on the site very nicely.

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A crucial point is being missed here. The first issue in question is not length.

First, you have to decide what kind of camper you are. If you are the sort who would never consider a site without full hookups (Mon Dieu!), then don't worry a whit about length. Pretty much anyplace you'd accept will have a place to fit you.

If, however, you prefer more rugged, primitive and spread out campsites and can tolerate no hookups, length can be a big limiting factor in many places.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to Reserve America and search Patrick's Point State Park you will see many space length listed at 24 feet. Others with no length noted. We stayed at a space noted with a 24 foot length and my truck and 5er both fit with no problem. They may have noted that length because of the maneuvering required to get there. I used the photos supplied to see for myself if I would fit. Too bad not all parks post pics of the site.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We are 38' and have predominantly been on the East Coast. We have stayed in state parks in all the states east of the Mississippi EXCEPT for Arkansas. We have never had a problem getting a site that would fit us UNLESS we were staying on a holiday weekend and didn't make reservations early enough. (We usually do a reservation a day or two ahead of time, just to see where we are going to be.) Holidays are the exception unless we don't care where we camp, then we can usually find a private campground, but they can be pricey.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
California DOES have a lot of state parks with length limits.
remember less than 1 percent of California's state parks campsites have hookups and most are only water and electric.
so, they don't cater to larger RVs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even for Ca, I'd call first. Many state parks have a posted limit due to being on the coast or in the Sierras. But they're based on old roads in many cases. One state beach had a 20ft limit because of the road getting in. They've redone the road and can easily fit a 35ft. The limit is still there, but rangers know the reality and will tell you.

Same in the Sierras. My favorite campground has a 30ft limit. But a 40ft pusher easily fits with room to spare since they redone access road.

Jbrowland
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, you won't have a problem at all in your home state and most others. One exception is California. Many state parks have a limit close to yours for several reasons like space, terrain, and high demand. When we head out of our home state of California to RV, we go from being the largest rig in a state park to being by far the smallest rig in a state park at only 25ft in length.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've had no issue with using public campgrounds with our 40' motorhome and Jeep.

Since you're from Colorado I will even say we've spent many, many nights in your state parks.

As full-timers we've also used national parks, national forest campgrounds, Corp of Engineer parks, county and city parks.

So yes, your 32' will not give you any problems. You won't fit in every site but the parks themselves won't be an issue.

I will add - except California's state parks but then there are plenty of other public campgrounds in California and many are much nicer.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
you'll find campgrounds that a 20 ft trailer has a hard time getting into, and others that have 60 ft pads and wide roads.

Usually campgrounds will have some info on what sites look like or can accomidate.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!