Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you carry?

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Folks:

There are times each of us has nearly run out of fuel on a trip.

Has anyone carried a 5 gallon can of fuel as a spare "just in case"?
80 REPLIES 80

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Yes....just having it means, you won't run out of fuel! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
tdiller wrote:
malexander wrote:
I REALLY can't figure out how folks run out of fuel. With todays technology, road maps, fuel gages, trip meters, etc, it's beyond my comprehension. But that's just me.

I don't carry extra fuel.

If you have all that tech I can see not running out.And that's all good in an rv but I have a motorcycle too and it does not have a gas gauge. It does have a trip meter and I usually reset that after each fill up and know I need to fill up once it gets to about 130 miles. I once stretched it to 159 but had to flip over to reserve and just barely made it to the gas station. If you want to mess up a biker reset his trip meter if he has no gas gauge.

Yeah, I've got a VTX 1300R. It doesn't have a fuel gage. 129 miles, you go to reserve.:)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
malexander wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
malexander wrote:
I REALLY can't figure out how folks run out of fuel. With todays technology, road maps, fuel gages, trip meters, etc, it's beyond my comprehension. But that's just me.

New to me coach +
fuel gauge off by 1/4 tank +
wasn't getting a full fillup due to a loop in the tank vent line =

running out of fuel on I-10.

Thanks Coach-Net

I thought a lot about this today. I can see how it could happen...........once. lol

I've often thought of putting a 5 gal can of gas in the back of my pickup, and intentionally running it out. Just to see exactly how much it takes to fill up.

New to you coach. Just asking, absolutely NO FLAME intended, because I don't know all your "particulars" but how did you not notice 1/4 tank gage difference? Were there no clues?

Propagation of errors. Because I had a loop in the tank vent, I was never getting a full tank. That lead a miscalculation of the mileage, but not enough to be unbelievable (8 vs 9 MPG). . That skewed my "number of miles to go before I need fuel" number (600 vs. 750) and over the period of 3 months eventually got me down to a quarter tank. Thinking I still had 100 miles in the tank, I was stretching for Alabama to save a few cents a gallon.

At 1/2 on the gauge or 600 miles since last fillup, I'm looking for fuel.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I did carry extra diesel fuel when we went to Alaska and did need it on our return. Drove through a town in BC and after your out of the town there was a sign 86km to next services. Looked at the guage and thought I can make that. Well the road was very hilly and curvey made it to the services and they were closed. Only open on the weekend. Just about then a woman with two young kids pulled in from the opposite direction needing gas. I only had diesel had 3/4 gallon of genarator gas. There was a campground sign that pointed down behind the fuel station so I walked down the hill and found the camphost. They said once school was back in session the owners were only there on the weekend because business slacked off. Since this was on a lake and there were several seasonals there with boats she would ask if any had gas they were willing to part with. One of them had 5 gal they would let the woman have. We desided to spend the night as it was closing in on cocktail hour.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:
I've got 91 gallons in the bed.

Hope "the bed" is covered (evaporation) and sealed (leaks) and
the 91 gallons has baffles to prevent sloshing..:R

~

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
With a 36 gallon fuel tank, no. (At least, gasoline)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
If I had a gasser pulling a big trailer drinkin gas like it was free I would west of the Mississippi.
Only time I carried gas was going to AK with a gasser pickup pulling a whopping 8 mpg and I used that can of gas once and thought I would a couple more times.
Diesel I've never carried, but would consider it too. Came close last year in eastern MT. Hauling camper, hauling @ss with a bad head wind and trying to make time and not stop.
My next truck will get a Titan tank. Sooo sick of having to stop more for fuel than to pee. Even my kids can outlast a tank sometimes!

Hope the other 2 copy Ford with a big tank in the HD pickups. Ford knock d it out of the park offering a 48 gal tank now!

Would love to drive 1000 miles and stop at 3 rest areas or quiet spots vs 3 truck stops!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I were doing a trip where one closed station could be a problem, I'd carry. To me that makes sense. But for most of my trips that I take now, carrying just isn't necessary.

If I don't plan right, I might pay more for my gas, but it won't be "I can't find a gas station in time" (unless of course, the GPS sends me off roading again).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
malexander wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
malexander wrote:

New to me coach +
fuel gauge off by 1/4 tank +
wasn't getting a full fillup due to a loop in the tank vent line =

running out of fuel on I-10.

Thanks Coach-Net

I've often thought of putting a 5 gal can of gas in the back of my pickup, and intentionally running it out. Just to see exactly how much it takes to fill up.

New to you coach. Just asking, absolutely NO FLAME intended, because I don't know all your "particulars" but how did you not notice 1/4 tank gage difference? Were there no clues?

Propagation of errors. Because I had a loop in the tank vent, I was never getting a full tank. That lead a miscalculation of the mileage, but not enough to be unbelievable (8 vs 9 MPG). . That skewed my "number of miles to go before I need fuel" number (600 vs. 750) and over the period of 3 months eventually got me down to a quarter tank. Thinking I still had 100 miles in the tank, I was stretching for Alabama to save a few cents a gallon.

At 1/2 on the gauge or 600 miles since last fillup, I'm looking for fuel.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Extra gas? Only a 2 gal can when I used to carry a generator.
Even then I used it more to help another vehicle out of fuel.
And my truck is lucky to go 200 miles on a tank when towing.

Have not carried gas or generator since the solar went on in 2012.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Despite my previous snarky comment about carrying a handgun (which I always do), I do carry (fuel) but not much. 2 fully able to seal fuel packs. One for unmixed gasoline for the generator and one with pre-mix for the chainsaw.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my recent cross country trip I carried 2x5 gallon cans, there were plenty of places we went where there was no cell service and it could be a hundred miles between gas stations, with a 26 gallon tank and as low as 8.5mpg with headwinds it would only take one station being closed, without power, etc to possibly run out. Better to haul around an extra 60lb and not need it then run out and be stranded.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I full time. When I decide that I am going to stay in one place for a week or so I do not top off the tank before hand. I also don't run with a full tank ever.

My gas tank, water tank and gray/black tanks are all behind the rear axle. So depending on how much water I am carrying dictates how much fuel I will carry at the same time.

Other tanks all empty then the fuel tank gets more and I will top off while traveling because it affects my handling if too low.

Makes a difference HOW you RV. Distance, duration etc.

I DID find out just where those pesky vents are though. When they fell out I knew 'exactly' how much fuel I could put in before it poured out all over the gas station. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always carry.. A handgun.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

tdiller
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:

If you have all that tech I can see not running out.And that's all good in an rv but I have a motorcycle too and it does not have a gas gauge. It does have a trip meter and I usually reset that after each fill up and know I need to fill up once it gets to about 130 miles. I once stretched it to 159 but had to flip over to reserve and just barely made it to the gas station. If you want to mess up a biker reset his trip meter if he has no gas gauge.