cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do you guys use the stink packs in the toilet ?

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
The PO left these bags of I assume deodorizer in the bath cabinet, do you guys use these and if so how often ?
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
41 REPLIES 41

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Never had any issues with the black tanks getting plugged until I started using chemicals on a regular basis. Had to get in there with the high pressure flush wand to free things up. Stopped using chemicals. Everything's fine. I do flush the black tank on a regular basis.

I think people use chemicals for the same reason people leave their porch light on all night.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use nothing but water. No stink and no problems. Generous amounts when flushing is all you need. And, of course it stinks in the tank, but if you have odor inside or out, something is not right. Neither you or your neighbors should smell what's in your tank.

MrWizard
i full time, and i use 'happy camper'

anybody who thinks their poop don't stink in their tank

is using an awful lot of water and dumping every couple of days

or has a radically different biology than the rest of us

i full time and i dump every (2) weeks and i NEED to use chemicals for odor control, even if i did not smell it, my neighbors sure would, stinky fumes spread from the vents
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We tried them once, one got stuck in the gate, it had never dissolved. We're happy with Happy Camper.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
we use the kitchen sink so that the black tank does not stink.
Dennis Hoppert

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
If you use the search function, you'll find hundreds of threads on holding tank chemicals.

Most full-timers/long-timers don't use them.

Sorry that's just not correct to just make a blanket statement like that to a new RV'er. I full time and use them ALL the time.

There are 2 types. Some are just that, nothing more than a deodorizer.
The correct ones actually 'break down waste' and paper along with a odor 'control'.

It depends WHERE you RV. RV just once and sit at a CG with no sewage hookup where you have to break camp to dump IN FLORIDA? You won't leave home without a good black tank chemical.

When you flush it is a straight opening to the black tank. There is NO p-trap like on your residential toilet to separate you from the sewage.

You start filling up that black tank with waste and go to flush? That smell and all that bacteria does come into your coach if not treated.

And lastly all I can say is my sensors work 100% of the time because I do use chemicals. :W

THIS^^^ and as said before there cheep.
Jay D.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not very often.. I might on my migration hike every spring/fall but not in between.. Just dump every 1-3 weeks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Poop smells

Chemical poop stinks!

Working vapor barriers and dihydrogen monoxide works
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

MrWizard
If you mean toilet chemicals ?
Yes I use 'happy camper'
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chainwright wrote:
When we get to a CG the 1st thing we do is drop one of those thingies in there.

Sometimes before I make it to the campground I have to pull over, run back, and drop one of those thingies in there.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 dog nights wrote:
Make sure it's a stink pack for the toilet. If left cabinet, it might have been a rodent pack. Unless you can positively identify, throw it out.

Toss it in anyway....if it is a Rodent Pack you just might get that pesky sewer rat someone had in their gray tank and posted about it yesterday lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
If you use the search function, you'll find hundreds of threads on holding tank chemicals.

Most full-timers/long-timers don't use them.

Sorry that's just not correct to just make a blanket statement like that to a new RV'er. I full time and use them ALL the time.

There are 2 types. Some are just that, nothing more than a deodorizer.
The correct ones actually 'break down waste' and paper along with a odor 'control'.

It depends WHERE you RV. RV just once and sit at a CG with no sewage hookup where you have to break camp to dump IN FLORIDA? You won't leave home without a good black tank chemical.

When you flush it is a straight opening to the black tank. There is NO p-trap like on your residential toilet to separate you from the sewage.

You start filling up that black tank with waste and go to flush? That smell and all that bacteria does come into your coach if not treated.

And lastly all I can say is my sensors work 100% of the time because I do use chemicals. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure it's a stink pack for the toilet. If left cabinet, it might have been a rodent pack. Unless you can positively identify, throw it out.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
I drop stink packs in the toilet almost daily, at least I hope daily.

Now THAT is comedy.:B
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Never.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory