cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you turn off your refrigerator?

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Good Evening All... As long as we have been camping we had not heard that this was something we should do until this evening when a friend mentioned it to us. We keep our hybrid plugged in out in our driveway and use our fridge for extra food storage. He said that this can really affect the life of long term life of the fridge. We had no idea, been doing this for 3 years now from April-early Nov. Anyone have any knowledge of this, appreciate your input! Thanks, Sue
31 REPLIES 31

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
The rust I was making reference to is on the outside of the cooling unit, not from inside.

The reference to rust in my post was addressed to 'lc0338' mention of rust clogging cooling unit.....INSIDE

NOTHING to do with rust forming on outside of tubing
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

pianotuna wrote:
325 watts x 2 /3 x 24 = 5.2 kwh per day

365 x 5.2 = 1898 Kwh per year

1898 x 0.12 =~ $227.00 per year

Don, I thought mine was only 175 watts. Seems I pulled it apart once to look. It's been a while, maybe I'm mistaken. Wouldn't be the first time - LOL!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The rust I was making reference to is on the outside of the cooling unit, not from inside.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
lc0338 wrote:
Yes, as others have mentioned, best to leave running. I read somewhere that the ammonia is somewhat of a rust inhibitor. when you shut it off condensate can cause rust and when turned back on it breaks loose the rust and can clog up the works.

What is most detrimental and already mentioned is if the rv frig is left running but not in a level position. This can cause overheating and crystallization of the rust inhibitor which is not reversable and will require replacement of the unit. while moving there is no off level issues.

Absorption fridge coolant......Ammonia, Hydrogen gas, sodium chromate (rust inhibitor) and WATER

Sodium chromate will crystallize and plate out on tubing if coolant flow is disrupted and overheating occurs.
Sodium chromate prevents rust from the water in coolant.
Rust doesn't break loose and clog ......sodium chromate crystals forming cause the clogging.

And YES ....it is permanent plus accumulative

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I turn mine off when not in use. I fire it up for parties when extra room is needed
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Leaving the refer on keeps moisture from attaching itself to the cooling unit coils causing rust and eventual failure(leaking) of the cooling unit.
I leave mine on!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Poppy-****! Does your friend own an RV of any type? Leave it turned on, especially if you are using it at home. How about those folks who full-time in their campers? Don't they have their refrigerators running 24x7x365?

I'm on my 3rd TT and, except for the coldest months of the year when it's just way to costly to heat the camper, ours runs non-stop, even on the road when traveling. It's off right now, and empty, only because I'm taking it in to my local dealer for a repair (awning arm bent). So we emptied it out, and turned it off, not knowing how long they may have the camper.

Nay! Especially if your camper is parked at home, and you're actually using it, keeping the Refer plugged in will not hurt anything.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Been doing the same for the last decade with our Dometic and no issues thus far. Our rig is plugged in all year in our side yard with fridge running and stocked 8 of those months. I would do what continues to work well for your situation and let them use their fridge as they see fit. Most issues with inadequate cooling from absorption fridges are directly related to poor installation (improper ventilation) at the factory level.

Why have a rv if it just sits in your side yard all year?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my first TT I had for 20 years before I could afford to buy another one. in that 20 years I don't think the frig was ever turned off other than traveling to and from camp grounds. never had a lick of problem with it. neither have the other TT's I've had since

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
325 watts x 2 /3 x 24 = 5.2 kwh per day

365 x 5.2 = 1898 Kwh per year

1898 x 0.12 =~ $227.00 per year
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

When I took on the project of rebuilding my TT from the frame up, I removed the fridge and put it in my garage and plugged it in to 110V. That was in the fall of 2003.

I left it plugged in for over ten years when I finally unplugged it and gave it to the guy I sold my rebuild project to in the fall of 2014.

With the exception of a couple defrost cycles where I unplugged it for a few hours, it ran solid 24/7 for the entire time. I guess thats 11 years straight it ran for.

It worked perfect the entire time and never failed and was still keeping my beverage of choice ice cold when I sold it.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, as others have mentioned, best to leave running. I read somewhere that the ammonia is somewhat of a rust inhibitor. when you shut it off condensate can cause rust and when turned back on it breaks loose the rust and can clog up the works.

What is most detrimental and already mentioned is if the rv frig is left running but not in a level position. This can cause overheating and crystallization of the rust inhibitor which is not reversable and will require replacement of the unit. while moving there is no off level issues.

Camper_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much, appreciate your responses! Happy camping ๐Ÿ™‚

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been doing the same for the last decade with our Dometic and no issues thus far. Our rig is plugged in all year in our side yard with fridge running and stocked 8 of those months. I would do what continues to work well for your situation and let them use their fridge as they see fit. Most issues with inadequate cooling from absorption fridges are directly related to poor installation (improper ventilation) at the factory level.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why would it " really affect the life of long term life of the fridge. " :H

There are NO moving parts
Absorption fridges have been in commercial use since the 1920s (Electrolux)
Started being used in RVs in the 1960

Only real problem is when stationary and not level.....

I turned my fridge ON in Nov 2006.....
Only time it has been OFF is the 3-4 times a year when we defrost it.

5th wheel is currently parked on MY FHU RV site on my property ready to go, be used as guest house and more importantly as my 'man cave' (when working in yard and it gets hot, monsoon lets loose or I just want a break---pop a cold one out of fridge and watch some TV)

What 'long term affect' does your friend 'think' will happen :H