cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do you use TV hookups at the parks you stay at?

lucky_expert
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of building a small RV park, and would like to know the general feeling towards Cable TV hookups. Is this something that you require?

I hear most campers now have built in TV options, whether it is cable or antenna. This is just a small park with 10 spots, so its not like an RV resort or anything. I am just trying to poll the average RVer decide if it is worth the time an expense to add that amenity. I probably won't add it if most people couldn't care less if it is there or not.

This forum seems like it would be a great place to get such info!
44 REPLIES 44

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If over the air TV is good via my antenna, not a deal breaker if you don't have cable. GOOD WiFi is far more important.

No for me I have written off Wifi as something that my fellow campers abuse by being data hogs and slowing it down,this makes it unfit for my use

I only stay where I can get cable
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess I'm the devils advocate, if there is free cable, we will certainly use it, I'm the opposite of most, I'd rather have cable than WIFI, if there is WIFI, that's nice, if not, no big deal.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

lucky_expert
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

The lack of cabled parks and weak OTA has driven me to Dish pay-as-you-go, so now I really don't care.

So it sounds like it is a pretty common occurrence for a park to not have cable? I looked around in our area, most of the nicer parks had cable and the not so nice ones didn't. Maybe that's the standard everywhere?

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I have the choice between a park with cable and a park without in the same area, I'll choose the cabled park, especially if at the edge of OTA over my Winegard.

The lack of cabled parks and weak OTA has driven me to Dish pay-as-you-go, so now I really don't care.

On the subject of "good WiFi", be aware that people expect to be able to stream TV shows over the WiFi in lieu of OTA or cable, so if you're providing cable, the WiFi bandwidth can be lower.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

lucky_expert
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thank you all so much for the input. I'd say it is both destination and pass through, since we are right by the interstate out in the middle of nowhere, but there is a popular state park close by, as well as a university so there could be some longer term folks too. There is good OTA reception there though. I was thinking about running cable and just hooking it up to an OTA antenna, and possibly upgrade to cable later on but sounds like most folks have OTA built right into their RV. Maybe I'll focus on good WIFI for now, since it sounds like that is what people really want.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you are laying wire anyway, I would include the cable at the same time.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
If this park is similar to what has happened all over - in that they slowly convert to a trailer park, I would say yes, the monthly tenants will want it.

At least run the conduit now, can always decide later.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Save the expense and hassle if there is decent OTA reception in your area. Use the money to provide good WiFi service throughout the park.

janstey58
Explorer
Explorer
Some parks I frequent provide CATV, but typically the channels are not HD, but SD with marginal picture quality. I user OTA HD and my SATV (which also provides local HD channels) for better reception. Thx.
Jeff and Kim
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E
Freightliner Chassis 380HP DP
2012 Ford Escape Limited Toad

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Like others said, if it is a destination park, then yes cable. If its a pass thru kind of park, not really necessary to have cable. BUT... If you plan on having FULL hookup sites, most folks that pay for those expect cable hookups
Proud father of a US Marine

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have seen some parks that have gone to cable boxes which are a pain to use - won't use them. Part of it depends on if there is decent OTA signal. If there is, I wouldn't bother installing cable.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
Is your park a destination or pass through? If one night stop we use park cable instead of setting up satellite. If destination spot, I set up satellite.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF the place has cable and it is NOT too high priced then we will use it.....just because we rarely have any cable

High priced...>$2 extra

Otherwise it is crankup the Winegard antenna OR host up the mast array antenna if reception s iffy
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If we are only staying a day or two and there is good OTA reception we will typically just use that. If no good OTA then we would use park cable if available. If staying longer we typically set up our Dish satellite.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If over the air TV is good via my antenna, not a deal breaker if you don't have cable. GOOD WiFi is far more important.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad