cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog friendly beautiful landscapes to visit in southern Utah?

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
We’re currently in Gallup New Mexico & heading to Colorado tomorrow to see the four Corners attraction & from there heading into southern Utah & plan to check out the beautiful landscapes that cover that state.
Seems Zion only allows dogs on one trail & so looking for options?
We will be traveling from Colorado after visiting the 4 corners monument.

In our 30 foot travel trailer.

Thanks in advance.
1997 Dodge 4x4, 5 spd manual trans & HotRod 5.9 cummins.
With '85 Lance.
27 REPLIES 27

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
Blanco!
My response on the other post of yours was NOT aimed at you, but rather a very large number of inconsiderate pet owners like what you came across .

That feeling you had when that dog came at you , that's what my DW feels whenever she sees a dog period !
Whether its chained up , locked up, on a leash or not.

There can be signs posted every 5 ft on a trail, beach, boardwalk etc. No dogs allowed or if so on leash only and still people let their dogs runs off leash un-controlled.

Safe travels...

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
While still in Co. Another camper just headed out to see Mesa Verde & I hope he looked it up?

& I just googled it & it seems like , dogs are only allowed in parking lots & paved roads & the campground.

Sucks being he just headed there with 2 dogs.
But he seems the type to leave his dogs in the Camper she’ll of his truck?
Not sure how people well act about that.

I know in Ca. That’s a huge Nono!
& people will call the cops on you & try to free the dogs.
With '85 Lance.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
morphrider wrote:
Lol, I think you are just assuming that's what others assume.

No, it’s just on the comments posted.
With '85 Lance.

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, I think you are just assuming that's what others assume.

Blanco1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people assume when I say dog friendly it means off leash?!?!
I am always in full control of my dog & he is always with me on leash unless in our trailer!
With '85 Lance.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
There's SO MUCH to see in any part of Utah, your dog doesn't care if it's in a national park to enjoy it. with the various animal and vegetation dangers, Utah is not what i'd consider an off-leash State. Protect your animal and yourself, always use a leash.

Just pull off one of the many many trails that lead off into the desert from the highway (don't use the interstate at all imho) and exercise the dogs if they're high energy. then give them some water, turn on the radio, park it and check out the national park if so inclined.

my dog was plain happy to walk the road on a leash in the campground, and say high to everyone that came out to greet him. then he'd sleep in the back seat of the truck for hours, while I went to someplace not dog friendly.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Flapper
Explorer
Explorer
As noted, the National Parks (at least Zion, Bryce, Arches) dogs on leash and only on pavement. State Parks (Kodachrome, Dead Horse) dogs on leash, but can go on trails. Grand Escalante is the most friendly, but there are some specific places they have a few restrictions. Other places have varying rules, so each has to be checked specifically.
2012 F150 Eco, 4x4, SCrew, Max Tow, HD Payload
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing you're doing in Colorado is the Four Corners Monument? That would be a very bottom of our list.

Each national park has an awesome web site which will give information on pets in the park and other helpful things.

Grand Canyon NP does allow pets on the Rim Trail.

Zion has a very nice paved trail for dog walking and biking.

Here is Bryce's take on pets:

https://www.nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Look up the other parks you'll be going.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
ncrowley wrote:
National Parks are not dog friendly in any state. The State parks in Utah are mostly dog friendly.
Not true. Some National Parks are very dog friendly and allow dogs everywhere on leash except in buildings. It depends on the individual park.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
National Parks are not dog friendly in any state. The State parks in Utah are mostly dog friendly.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
We just came back from Moab area with our pupper. State parks you can traverse with the animals, not in any National park as mentioned above. We did not realize this until we were out there. I had Utah mail me their brochure packet and it did not state that if I recall. Dead Horse State Park had the utmost best outlook by far in our opinion. Happy travels.

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
We have a picture of our Pug at 4 corners with 1 foot in each state.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Utah's Mighty 5 aren't dog friendly, according to this site.
https://www.visitutah.com/articles/traveling-with-dogs-the-mighty-5/

I'm guessing the main reasons are safety of other visitors and fouling.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)