Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Domicile advice for trucker

wilburleft
Explorer
Explorer
Hi forum,

I used to be on the forum. Discovered there are a lot of smart and helpful people on here. So now I'm back with a question, and know I'll get some good advice.

I'm relocating from Florida to Texas for a over-the-road truck driving job starting 1/12/15. The company requires me to have a Texas driver license (I may have implied that I was already a Texan when I applied...I would go wherever the job is but most companies wont look at you if you don't reside in their hiring area...folks may chastise me for being less than honest, and I understand that, but I also have to survive, so I can take it).

You may have heard of Escapees RV Club. They offer mail forwarding service and provide you with an address that they say you can use to register your car and get a license. Would that be true even if I don't have an RV, just my car? I would ask them but they are closed now and I am leaving before sunrise, so I thought I'd check with you guys.

I've researched all the requirements for license and registration and if the Escapees address will work then I should be good to go. The thing is. I'll be living in the truck and don't need or want to pay for a place...at least not until I get some income and get more established in the great state of Texas! YEEEEE HAAAAAA!

Thanks for any feedback.
2002 Roadtrek 200 Versatile
11 REPLIES 11

wilburleft
Explorer
Explorer
Well I drove from Miami to Beaumont on Wednesday and arrived at Escapees on Thursday morning. Joined the club, got my address and they showed me where to get my car inspected, register my car. and get my CDL, all right there in Livingston. When these places see your address they know what's going on and they accept it.

So I have my Texas CDL and I'm redy for my new job on Monday.

The only flaw in my plan is that in Texas they don't fingerprint you for the Hazmat endorsement at the DMV. You have to make an appointment at another location for that. Had I known I would have scheduled the appointment in advance. My new company expected me to have the process started before arriving because it can take several weeks for the background check. But I spoke to them yesterday and they are willing to work with me on it.

Thanks for the replies and encouragement. Go Dolphins.
2002 Roadtrek 200 Versatile

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
If you go HERE you can download/read an Escapees article that has great info on establishing a TX domicle.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not for trucking, but executives here (and the corporate lawyers advising them) wanting Texas domicile for purpose of avoiding state income tax in the assorted places they will reside, will rent a low-cost apartment or a small office.

One key to establishing domicile is location choosing where you register to vote, then where you tag vehicles, what driver's license you hold (it is effectively our national ID card).

I'm pretty sure Escapees can help you.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
TucsonJim wrote:
I think you have to purchase a Dallas Cowboys hat and go to at least two games before you can become an official Texan.

OR, based on the Dallas game against the Lions,you could just wear a referee hat and be a Dallas Cowboy already.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
To my knowledge, SKPs is still offering half-price membership discount
so now's the time to join. You can also go to their website for the members forum. Hope your new job turns out to be exactly what you're looking for...Good luck.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^^^^^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Puma 30RKSS

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
And your NFL team gets to party with the head of officiating. So you will get the call made in your favor!
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
You will be a Texan so you also have to buy a Texas star to fasten on your truck. ๐Ÿ™‚ It's no different than those that go to SD.
I'm staying in Texas now and the star is EVERYWHERE. Great people down here.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I think you have to purchase a Dallas Cowboys hat and go to at least two games before you can become an official Texan.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, you have to be a resident in one of the 50 states. Since you've left FL and have to get a TX DL, and you said "when you get more established" in TX, I would argue you're a new TX resident. You're fortunate in that FL has no state income tax and doesn't seem to be aggressively looking for its recently departed residents, contrary to NY, MA, MI and a few others. Your stated intent is a big deal, along with getting a driver's license, paying whatever taxes you may owe to TX because of your job, and registering to vote. You don't have to spend x number of days in TX to claim residency there since your job requires you to drive out of state a lot. Again, I think you've become a resident of TX.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Escapees is a legit mail forwarding service that provides a 'physical address' as required to establish TX Residency for ANYONE that signs up/pays for their service.

Welcome to being a Texan....when you get legit that is!

Just hope the 'new company' doesn't have an issue with lying.
Company I retired from that was 'cause for termination'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31