Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

E350 MH with potential Ford C-Max Energi Toad

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:
I am trying to get my Kodiak VXL 2000, E350 2001 Ford coupled to my 2014 Ford C-Max Energi. The estimate that I have of almost $2500 seems a bit high. The estimate is from an RV dealer. Is there another place that I might try? I had an offer to convert an HHR of $1500 just a couple of years ago. I don't have a clue about Blue Ox or Roadmaster and there are so many models. Need advice.
Bob
10 REPLIES 10

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Saint Augustine wrote:
Does anyone have any negative comments about:
a Roadmaster with the Invisibrake? CW has a good sale on complete installation now. I wonder about the Invisibrake.

I bet, no matter what sale Camping World has on this, you could get a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and their included Readybrake braking system, for a fraction of what you'd pay for that Roadmaster and Invisibrake.

My vote is for the Readybrute. You just can't beat it, IMO.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any negative comments about:
a Roadmaster with the Invisibrake? CW has a good sale on complete installation now. I wonder about the Invisibrake.

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to find a local installer. The Ready Brute looks good.

OldBlackWater
Explorer
Explorer
Saint Augustine wrote:
j-d wrote:
I'd see if I could build my towing plan around Ready Brute Elite which has an integrated braking system. Then find a baseplate that offers quick disconnect WITHOUT the Cross Bar that's typical in most Roadmaster applications. Popular baseplates are Blue Ox, Roadmaster and DEMCO. Ready Brute can connect to any of them. Pick the most convenient. Roadmaster is very rugged stuff but heavy and time consuming to totally remove from the toad. That's why so many toads run around looking like they have a snow plow frame on them.

Does the brute mean you don't need a brake buddy?

That's correct. The Ready Brake part of the Ready Brute tow bar is a cable system that pulls on your brake pedal from behind the pedal and requires a small hole in the firewall. I installed the Ready Brake system on my 2013 C-Max Energi and it seems to work just fine. I also installed the Blue Ox base plate and am using a Blue Ox tow bar that I already had from a previous toad. If I didn't already have it I would have been all about that Ready Brute Elite tow bar.
Steve -- Murphy, TX

2011 Fleetwood Storm 32BH (2011 Ford F-53 V10)
2013 Ford C-Max Energi with ReadyBrake
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar, cute decorative lights in the shapes of peppers and RVs, one lovely wife, and three kids

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
j-d wrote:
I'd see if I could build my towing plan around Ready Brute Elite which has an integrated braking system. Then find a baseplate that offers quick disconnect WITHOUT the Cross Bar that's typical in most Roadmaster applications. Popular baseplates are Blue Ox, Roadmaster and DEMCO. Ready Brute can connect to any of them. Pick the most convenient. Roadmaster is very rugged stuff but heavy and time consuming to totally remove from the toad. That's why so many toads run around looking like they have a snow plow frame on them.

Does the brute mean you don't need a brake buddy?

FC
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an update:
The separate braking systems are " NOT" required in all of Canada. In Ontario the toad is not considered as a trailer and therefore there are no requirements for separate braking devices.
Be very suspicious of the maps showing the braking requirements that are supplied by the companies who make and sell the brake systems.
I am NOT saying they are not a good idea, only that the stated laws are not necessarily true.
2003 Georgetown 346DS Ford F-53
2008 Pontiac G6 Toad, Blue Ox Aventa LX
Vice President Operations Family Campers & RVers
www.fcrv.org

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, necessary. In 47 of the lower 48 states and Canada, it's required by law.
If you have an accident and it's found that you don't have a brake system that might have prevented it, you'd be libel.
It's also the only safe way to go.
Grumpy

Saint_Augustine
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the E350 has the towing capacity. My quote did not have a brake box in it. Necessary?

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Can your RV tow a 3,500 lb. car?

It cost us $3,200 to get our towing setup. We have a 2013 C-Max. The cost of a Blue Ox tow package included the installed base plate, tow bar and Patriot brake box. I shopped extensively at the time and all the quotes were within $100.