cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric heating options when on shore power?

ricks99
Explorer
Explorer
NOOB heating question...

What are the electric heating options when on shore power? Our HTT has propane heat, but when it is cold (as it was this past weekend), it can run A LOT. Seems like an easy way to burn through the tanks rather quickly. I did remember to switch to the electric water heater at least!

Do y'all use small electric space heaters? Is that preferable to running the onboard gas heater all the time? I assume that if I'm on full 30amp shore power, the draw from the heater(s) should be OK?

TIA
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 (aka Rusty)
2017 Kodiak 172e Hybrid (aka Roxy)
39 REPLIES 39

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had good luck with a Vornado fan-forced heater, preferably the cheap ones that don't have a digital display, because the ones with the "mode" button tend to go hinky after a couple years.

For my rig, it is great at supplemental heat, but not keeping things warm above freezing. Since I don't have animals, I don't have to worry about stuff getting torn apart.

For base heat when boondocking, I use a Buddy heater, with a propane hose going to a bottle outside the rig. Looks goofy, but works well, takes zero battery (other than the four D cell fan), and keeps things warm. Downside is that I have to clear a lot of space in front, and the heat is a wet heat, due to propane, so I have to leave two vents open, not just for ventilation, but to get the humid air out.

For heat in the morning, when on shore power, or when I am running the generator, the absolute best is the propane furnace.

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
We put an electric fireplace on the wall of our coach, it has a 750 or 1500 electric heater as well as the looks and flickering light of a fireplace
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe it was previously mentioned, but to me a tip over switch is a must for a ceramic heater.

The two guy cats always get to romping.

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We have one like this. Has worked well. Has a fan an is not quiet. But for the price.....
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I run 2 electric heaters. I put a heavy duty extension cord through the slide before opening it all the way which goes right to the pedestal and run that heater on high. The other is on low or med and the furnace on backup. I never had the furnace go on yet and by running a separate cord for the heater on high I dint have to worry about tripping breakers.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
I've replaced all the female outlets so I don't have to worry about overloading them. The OEM "stab" units may be a bad idea when using a full blown 1500 watt heater. Consider running the heaters on the lower wattage settings--or replacing the female outlets.

What size was the cable supporting that outlet? 14 gauge is only good for 15 amps, you need the cable to be 12 gauge and breaker to be 20 amps, to run a 1500 watt heater on high.

Huh? 1500 W works out to 12.5A at 120V and is okay to use for extended periods of time (albeit with nothing else simultaneously) on a 15A circuit.

Any appliance that has a plug with parallel blades (a 15A plug) is designed for use on a 15A circuit. If it actually requires a 20A circuit, it would have one blade perpendicular to the other. 20A plugs are very rare in practice, though combo 15A/20A sockets are not too uncommon. (The NEC does permit having multiple 15A receptacles on a 20A circuit, which is the most common situation when 20A circuits are used.)

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The oil filled "radiator" style heater provide nice, even heat.

Heated floor mats are nice also.

Finally, skip the electric blanket and get heated mattress pads.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
I've replaced all the female outlets so I don't have to worry about overloading them. The OEM "stab" units may be a bad idea when using a full blown 1500 watt heater. Consider running the heaters on the lower wattage settings--or replacing the female outlets.

What size was the cable supporting that outlet? 14 gauge is only good for 15 amps, you need the cable to be 12 gauge and breaker to be 20 amps, to run a 1500 watt heater on high.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best thing we ever bought was a Delonhi Thermostatically-controlled electric heater. I guess they're all "thermostatically controlled" - but ours lets you set a temp, like your thermostat at home, and it maintains that temperature. Ours kept our Class C and our 5er adequately warm just using electric (with added reflectix insulation over the windows)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

2012Oudoorsman
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 electric heaters for our 26' body TT. Usually only use one and the other is a spare. Depending on temperatures depends on if we open the bathroom door. Both heaters have hi and low settings so when we run both they are on low only. The biggest issue I've found with mine is that they don't hold a temperature well, I've actually opened the vent slightly so they stay on keeping temperature consistant. Both of mine arw cheapos and actually came from yard sales.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a couple el cheapo ceramics. Never used furnace last year & seldom used either of the built in electrics.

Need to be aware of which outlets are on which circuit & manage power accordingly.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a small space heater. If you use one with a fan make sure that you get one with a Tip Over Switch built in. That way if it tips over it automatically shuts off.

I like the oil filled ones myself but, to each their own.

I don't like the small Cube Type Ceramic heaters. I have one in my house bathroom and the area where the fan blows through has such small holes that every year I have to take it apart and blow the dust out of it or it plugs completely up and quits working. I think some of those have filters on them though mine does not.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a Delonghi micathermic heater.
It is flat, about the size of a Television, and it can be hung on the wall, as the back doesn't get hot. It is silent. It doesn't heat the RV up fast, but once it reaches temp, it keeps it there. It has a thermostat and 750 and 1500 watt settings, but we've never used the high wattage setting.