cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought I'd start this because of a conversation with a friend. Their main complaint is when tourists and visitors come up to them and start asking nosy questions about how they dress, etc. They live near a tourist town. They have a farm so they wear overalls or other non-trendy clothing.

So two I want to share.
1. Don't go up to people and ask them about their clothing or their religion.
2. Don't park the RV in spaces in small towns. Parking is limited enough for many of those towns. Find out where you can park your rig without taking up 2 or more parking spots.

Are there any guidelines you would like to share about how to behave as a tourist or visitor?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
34 REPLIES 34

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
It's not the questions, it's the judgmental way in which they are asked. Things like "you realize this isn't a real Pizza,the only real pizza is Chicago deep dish pizza?", "you know real barbeque is beef brisket, not pork?" "how can you people live without a Starbucks on the block?" "why would anyone live here when you have to drive 75 miles to the nearest Walmart?" "I can't believe you people voted for X don't you realize Y was a better choice?" all have an undertone that the questioner is right and you are somehow wrong.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
one more thing about the Amish.
When I see all the TV ads to buy stuff I often think about the Amish who don't worry about whether they have the latest and greatest electronic gadget, cell phones, video games, largest and best TV, newest car, etc.

Electronic stuff? No - they have little interest. But they still put on a show, in subtle ways. My sister lived among them in LaGrange, IN and would point out signs of her neighbors' "status" like a high-stepping carriage horse, or a fancy harness; she said the women cherished having high-dollar cookware....LOL! None of this was ever flaunted - but still was on display. And none ever turned down the offer of a ride in a car or truck when offered.

My sis always said they were the best neighbors ever!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
one more thing about the Amish.
When I see all the TV ads to buy stuff I often think about the Amish who don't worry about whether they have the latest and greatest electronic gadget, cell phones, video games, largest and best TV, newest car, etc.
Having trouble limiting your childs electronic time? What if they didn't have ANY such devices. I know, in our world, that's far fetched but maybe.......
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
My guidelines about how to behave as a tourist or visitor:

Talk to the locals! Ask where are the good places to eat.

Go places that are not tourist attractions - ask about local history.

Have fun!

Do no damage.

Spend your money - locals - well most locals, want you there to do the very things this latest RV.net etiquette lesson wants to tell you are taboo (based on the opinion of one person and no mention of exact places in the U.S. and Canada where this type of behavior is unwelcome).
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
and don't ever take a photo showing an Amish person's face because
`The Amish hold humility as a highly-cherished value and view pride as a threat to community harmony. Because items such as personal photographs can accentuate individuality and call attention to one's self, they are prohibited from the home. Moreover, the Amish believe that photographs in which they can be recognized violate the Biblical commandment, "Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image." They want to be remembered by the lives they lived and the examples they left, not by physical appearance.'
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Honestly, I suspect it's more about how the questions are asked as opposed to the actual questions.

I agree - I'm absolutely a nosy tourist ๐Ÿ™‚ I love to learn about people/cultures/areas - it's why I travel the way I do (by RV). I guess I try to be respectfully curious? Haven't had anyone tell me to buzz off, yet ๐Ÿ˜‰
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I shared a campsite with a couple of young German women many years ago. We talked for hours around the campfire. The campground was full so I asked them to join me. They had many questions about what it was like to ride motorcycle all over the US. I had an equal number of questions about their experiences traveling around the US and life in Germany. It was a great evening.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, I suspect it's more about how the questions are asked as opposed to the actual questions.

I think that's a big part of it. If you feel you are a part of the Spanish Inquisition you are much more likely to be a little hostile rather than if someone politely asks "why do you wear that?".

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Walaby wrote:
It never dawned on me to ever ask someone about the clothes you wear. I can't even imagine a conversation where that would come up, or why I would even care.

"Hey man.. why do y'all wear those overalls? Is it to keep the spaghetti sauce from staining your new t-shirts?" (kidding of course).

That's just weird...

Mike

Monks in Thailand wearing orange robes.

Germans at Oktoberfest wearing Lederhosen.

Masai warriors in Kenya wearing a red sash.

Lots of reasons to inquire about clothing choices. Now just an average midwest joe wearing overalls...a little less logic.

Assuming the OP is referring to Amish and just trying to avoid actually saying it...there are specific clothing choices they make, so it's reasonable if put to them politely to ask. We camp a lot in an area with a lot of Amish and while they aren't particularly outgoing, particularly with the English, they are polite and don't seem to mind having a conversation.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Deleted
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
It never dawned on me to ever ask someone about the clothes you wear. I can't even imagine a conversation where that would come up, or why I would even care.

"Hey man.. why do y'all wear those overalls? Is it to keep the spaghetti sauce from staining your new t-shirts?" (kidding of course).

That's just weird...

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Man.....
If I hadn't been the nosey 'tourist' during our 7 yrs FTng I would not have gotten the 'inside scoop' that only the 'locals' know

Even when I was overseas I was that nosey tourist asking all kinds of questions, seeking information, gaining advice/knowledge

Respect should be key.
Give it and get it back

But their are some folks that just don't want to engage...they should quietly disengage
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
If I didn't approach and engage in a conversation with the guy and his 2 girls in the horse drawn buggy I wouldn't have had a the great experience that occurred.
Learned a lot first hand about the Amish Culture and people.
even got invited to their farm which was a real blessing.

At CG right near Devils Tower, WY we came out one morning to find 6 Japanese girls sitting at our pic-nic table having their breakfast.
Instead of running them off we engaged with them. Found out they thought they were in a 'park' .....very apologetic about taking our space/table and were ready to pack up. We convinced them to stay, finish breakfast and enjoy their moment. Very interesting conversation.

Engaging with folks IS part of Life's Journey and can be beneficial to both.

I think the Amish are most likely accustomed to that. This friend and his neighbors feel as though tourists are treating them as objects or characters put on display instead of hard-working residents. Cultures differ. The picnic table incident happens often. I pretty sure my friend isn't addressing that.
Crowe wrote:
Please don't mistake curiosity for nosiness. If they are asking these questions it's quite possible they are trying to learn, possibly so they don't commit a faux pas. A polite "I'd rather not answer" should do the trick. That said...

1. Follow the rules. Period. This includes in RV parks. If the rule is no dogs then don't take your dogs, etc.
2. Agree about the parking issue. Have been too many places where rigs are just taking up too much space.
3. Behave. Don't exhibit bad behavior under the guise of "I'm a tourist".
4. Look up the word "respect" in the dictionary and practice it.

Crowe, good list of pointers.

There are places in the US and Canada where curiosity IS viewed as nosiness or rudeness. Asking personal questions about someone's clothing is considered rude in a number of places. Bringing up someone else's religion isn't considered polite either, in my friend's area or in a number of places. Very personal questions (clothing, religion, politics) are not a good way to interact in a community and with a people who are new to you.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Good stories Old-Biscuit! ๐Ÿ™‚

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If I didn't approach and engage in a conversation with the guy and his 2 girls in the horse drawn buggy I wouldn't have had a the great experience that occurred.
Learned a lot first hand about the Amish Culture and people.
even got invited to their farm which was a real blessing.

At CG right near Devils Tower, WY we came out one morning to find 6 Japanese girls sitting at our pic-nic table having their breakfast.
Instead of running them off we engaged with them. Found out they thought they were in a 'park' .....very apologetic about taking our space/table and were ready to pack up. We convinced them to stay, finish breakfast and enjoy their moment. Very interesting conversation.

Engaging with folks IS part of Life's Journey and can be beneficial to both.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31