cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ever feel like we need some Japanese RV manufactures

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
In shopping for our first trailer, and reading the forums, it seems like quality control in RV manufacturing an oxymoron. Kinda like Detroit in the late 60's and early 70's, maybe we could get a Japanese RV manufacturer to enter the US market and shake things up. On the Service issue forum even though CW takes the hit for not being able to fix the stuff, it's the manufacturer that shipped it out that way, modern cars don't get much of a pdi anymore, yet they usually run just fine....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson
78 REPLIES 78

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well.... let me add another thought, and I know this will blister some reaction: "Nothing runs like a Deere!" I have 2 of them, and they are the best riding mowers I've ever owned.

What does that have to do with this thread?

Because of i5Trucker's comment. You've gotta read the entire thread. 🙂

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well.... let me add another thought, and I know this will blister some reaction: "Nothing runs like a Deere!" I have 2 of them, and they are the best riding mowers I've ever owned.

What does that have to do with this thread?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

Edit correction: I guess I don't have 2 John Deeres, I have 3 of them:

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:

In shopping for our first trailer, and reading the forums, it seems like quality control in RV manufacturing an oxymoron.
Kinda like Detroit in the late 60's and early 70's,

maybe we could get a Japanese RV manufacturer to enter the US market and shake things up.

Hmmmmmm........well let's see -

Toyota - has recently reached a 1.2 BILLION dollar settlement to end the probe of accelerator problems....and

faces nearly 400 wrongful death lawsuits.

Then there's the Taakta airbag recalls (7.8 million vehicles and climbing) - along with lots of injury (& death) lawsuits in the works.

Japanese auto mfgrs knew of the problem - including secret "after hours" testing to verify the problem/s - then destroyed the results.

LOTS of sources to verify the above are easy to find - Google is your friend.

Yep - Japanese quality control is top notch!..:S..:R..:(

And, they sure *do* know how to "shake things up"!!..;)

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
My first RV was an upper end gas coach (Rexhall)that was well built and what few problems were rather easy to fix myself. I did add many options; Banks system, Kenwood Exlaron stereo system, Xantrex Pro2000 inverter and more batteries just to name a few. I was very happy with that unit and the construction; especially the solid hardwood cabinets and at accessing all plumbing and electrical.

The Tiffin coach we purchased just a few years ago was a totally different situation. This coach is very complex and came with every available option.

The first couple of years we experienced several problems including three that were what I would rather service. However, between the dealer, the western Tiffin service representative, and even Bob Tiffin all issues were taken care of very expediently.

Product quality is very much influenced by price level, dealer, and the manufacturer. I have sat in Mr. Tiffins office, visited by phone and also camped next to Bob and his wife before a Redmond Rally. I found Mr. Tiffin very friendly, very honest, and very concerned that hiss customers are happy. He is an honorable and Christian man.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

i5trucker
Explorer
Explorer
Colliehauler, the ones I am referring to are most certainly made in Japan, I pick them up from the docks in Seattle, fresh out of the shipping containers and they have Made in Japan labels on them. They are John Deere and Hitachi.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
dave54 wrote:
free radical wrote:
I'd like to know how many employers make sure their workers are drug free..

And how many are U.S. citizens in the country legally.

Well, if you have 12 million illegals in the U.S. they aren't all cutting grass and cleaning houses. They are hired by companies, large companies that know how to skirt around immigration.

And does anybody here actually know the quality of Japanese and Chinese rvs? Seen them first hand, have statistics on quality or failure rates?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
free radical wrote:

And how many are U.S. citizens in the country legally.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Japanese vehicles are generally German engineered.
Now they are facing the same crunch as everyone else.....make it cheaper... make more profit..
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
seaeagle2 wrote:
In shopping for our first trailer, and reading the forums, it seems like quality control in RV manufacturing an oxymoron. Kinda like Detroit in the late 60's and early 70's, maybe we could get a Japanese RV manufacturer to enter the US market and shake things up. On the Service issue forum even though CW takes the hit for not being able to fix the stuff, it's the manufacturer that shipped it out that way, modern cars don't get much of a pdi anymore, yet they usually run just fine....

We don't need japanese manufacturers to show us how's thing done,,all you need to do is hire responsible workers that are not spaced out on drugs when working..

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I guess the assumption is that because the Japanese car makers built a better vehicle in 1980 than most US mfg's we should now wish for Japanese made products. It's an interesting view about folk's perception of quality and how that can be tied to a Nation. It's also interesting that the memory of that automobile mfg. situation 35 years ago can hang on and to morph into a belief that Japanese mfg is superior to US or any other Nation.

When I was a kid, anything built in Japan had just the opposite quality connotation attached, it was perceived to be junk goods. Today, many perceive Chinese goods to be of inferior quality.

A sad truth about US shoppers is that we shop by price and not the durability or quality of the item. Our stores are filled with banners proclaiming "Sale" or "Clearance". Go to any other country and this isn't the case. Shoppers inspect very intently at what they're buying and price is a secondary consideration.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wonder how many people who complain about quality own a Newell or Prevost. Wanting high end quality and willing to pay for it are two different things.

If someone figured out a way to build them out of cardboard instead of sawdust and undercut the price by 30% there would be people that would buy them, and complain about the quality.

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I think of December 7th, 1941 I sure wish we had more Japanese stuff.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer

consumeratlarge
Explorer
Explorer
I laughed out loud when I read this topic title. No question that I've seen many examples of quality control issues. Then again, when I pack just a few dozen things for a trip, I often forget something that I should have put on the list. So, if a worker forgets to tighten the compression fitting on my shower and it floods the inside of the motorhome or something like that, (ask me how I know), it is just human.

Although, at aerospace facilities in the USA, they have inspections, checklists, control over where each part comes from, phase tests... But, price point wouldn't really allow that, I imagine, in the low end stuff I've owned. And I probably wouldn't have gotten my first motorhome if it wasn't so enticingly cheap to buy (used). But I do remember wondering if sawdust shaped and pressed into plywood sheets was a good thing to use in a vehicle that will likely have leaks inside and out.

The buses and semi's I've seen made here are pretty darn heavy duty and well made. And I'll probably never own one because of the price, so I guess it's supply and demand.
Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP 2013, 300w solar, 1200w sine inverter, In-motion Winegard Dome sat. ant., L.E.D. lights, P2 brake controller, Yamaha 250 on back carrier, or pulling Stehl dolly with Hyundai Santa Fe

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do remember. If they were made by the Japanese. there would be nothing but recalls, and in truth. Japanese quality is not what you think it is. It is in fact beginning to trail US quality.

So no I don't want a Japanese anything
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers