cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ever feel like we need some Japanese RV manufactures

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
In shopping for our first trailer, and reading the forums, it seems like quality control in RV manufacturing an oxymoron. Kinda like Detroit in the late 60's and early 70's, maybe we could get a Japanese RV manufacturer to enter the US market and shake things up. On the Service issue forum even though CW takes the hit for not being able to fix the stuff, it's the manufacturer that shipped it out that way, modern cars don't get much of a pdi anymore, yet they usually run just fine....
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson
78 REPLIES 78

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
To voice your opinion, as opposed to "guaranteeing" something,.......IMO it's very amusing.
Look, in my case, NEWMAR improved their Dutch Star the year following the year that I bought mine. But, they jacked the price up to where I could no longer afford it. So, in a way, I'm glad I bought when I did. Little by little I've fixed most of what was screwed up. It's easy for me to believe that if I insist on higher quality, and I don't have a fatter bank account,...... I'm out of luck.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

F450
Explorer
Explorer
I solved the problem myself. I made my motorhome! So now I can only blame myself if something goes wrong!

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer
Take off the rose colored glasses. The Japanese cars of the 70's were just as junky as their American counterparts. Same with the 80's and 90's. You were told they were "superior" so were more tolerant of problems.

About the only one that consistently makes clunkers is Chrysler, and that holds true even today. You don't get bailed out twice by building quality.

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
what the heck are you people buying?

I had 5 campers. A Elkhorn truck camper, 2 Jayco campers, 1 Forest River camper and my current Heartland toyhauler.

I never had problems with any of these. minor stuff on delivery under warranty...but what monster problems are you people having out there????

Japanese RVs---heck no. geez.

I've enjoyed the good quality of all my campers I owned.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quality could easily be improved with minor if any cost issues. Instead of assembly line piece work labor,they simply need to go to unit assembly teams with a base rate and a quarterly performance bonus based on quality and lack of warrantee issues.
I can guarantee you that if those workers knew they could pocket an extra 400 bucks a quarter,I could virtually promise you there would be no more unconnected plumbing!

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
No German

What? Like the VW campmobile???:B

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dtank wrote:
"Terryallan":
"....back to the dealer for a loose thread on a cushion and a loose bolt on the AC."

"As well as keeping the people who get stuck with poor quality rigs employed".

Right, "Escargot"! - Terryallan has it - That's how you keep 'em employed!

Hmmmmmm.....Q for Mod "Dick A", from his post:
Are the "Quality Amish Craftsmen"..:W.. employed by many mfgrs - *not* "Honorable Christian" men?
Could that be the problem..:?

Over the years - had new TT, slightly used TTs, slightly used slide-in camper, one new MH, one used MH, and a new 5th wheel (with a 2 year factory warranty).

The new RVs never needed any warranty work - although the mfgr of the 5th forgot to put the bottom door glide on the pocket door - guess I should have taken it back to the dealer......but it cost me a roaring $2. and about 5 minutes of my time.
(And my fault for not catching it on the PDI)

I guess All the used RVs must have had ALL the "fixits" done by previous owners, which kept lots of service folks gainfully employed! ROTFL...:W

BTW - way, WAY more (non "picky)) problems with new *vehicles* (cars & trucks) than any RV I've ever owned - which includes some of each of "the big three".
Usually the "under warranty" vehicles required two trips to get it right..:(

:?:?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Sprink-Fitter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Well.... let me add another thought, and I know this will blister some reaction: "Nothing runs like a Deere!" I have 2 of them, and they are the best riding mowers I've ever owned.

What does that have to do with this thread?

Because of i5Trucker's comment. You've gotta read the entire thread. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ok, I see now. Quoting i5 might have helped.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
"Terryallan":
"....back to the dealer for a loose thread on a cushion and a loose bolt on the AC."

"As well as keeping the people who get stuck with poor quality rigs employed".

Right, "Escargot"! - Terryallan has it - That's how you keep 'em employed!

Hmmmmmm.....Q for Mod "Dick A", from his post:
Are the "Quality Amish Craftsmen"..:W.. employed by many mfgrs - *not* "Honorable Christian" men?
Could that be the problem..:?

Over the years - had new TT, slightly used TTs, slightly used slide-in camper, one new MH, one used MH, and a new 5th wheel (with a 2 year factory warranty).

The new RVs never needed any warranty work - although the mfgr of the 5th forgot to put the bottom door glide on the pocket door - guess I should have taken it back to the dealer......but it cost me a roaring $2. and about 5 minutes of my time.
(And my fault for not catching it on the PDI)

I guess All the used RVs must have had ALL the "fixits" done by previous owners, which kept lots of service folks gainfully employed! ROTFL...:W

BTW - way, WAY more (non "picky)) problems with new *vehicles* (cars & trucks) than any RV I've ever owned - which includes some of each of "the big three".
Usually the "under warranty" vehicles required two trips to get it right..:(

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
I wonder how many people who complain about quality own a Newell or Prevost. Wanting high end quality and willing to pay for it are two different things.

If someone figured out a way to build them out of cardboard instead of sawdust and undercut the price by 30% there would be people that would buy them, and complain about the quality.

Ain't that the truth! We all want top quality but we don't wan't to pay for it. We walk into a dealership & expect a 30% discount off MSRP.

Well, who is fooling who here. The dealer & the builder know the game. The dealer knows what he is going to sell for & the builder makes the product so both can make a reasonable profit after they have inflated the price so that they can discount the price & make the customer feel like he has wrangled some special deal.

You are going to get what you pay for & most of them are pretty poor when it comes to quality of workmanship. The assemblers don't have time to make it absolutley right. The next piece is on its way down the line. Even a most revered builder like Mobile Suite has to churn them out. Did a plant tour there in 2008. They are obviously way better than most but nothing like the care & precision that goes into a semi custom upmarket boat. Seen that too. Hate to think what goes on building some of the entry level RVs.

So many people want new. New this. New that. They want to replace with new every couple years. Not me. Much rather spend the money on a lightly used up market unit than spend the same money on a brand new piece of junk.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Escargot wrote:
But do consider, these campers ARE made in America, keeping a work force employed.

As well as keeping the people who get stuck with poor quality rigs employed just to keep up with the repairs...

Wondering What repairs have you had to do to your RV? My first store bought camper was a pup. Only problem it had was A seam caught, and ripped on the slide. they repaired it very quickly. 5 years and that was the only problem.

Second Store bought camper was a TT. Kept it 10 years, and it went back to the dealer ONCE for recalled seals, and ONCE for the Dometic Refer recall.

Third store bought TT. Have had it 3 years, and it went back to the dealer for a loose thread on a cushion, and a loose bolt on the AC. All at the same time of course.

Now you can call having a TT worked on 2 times in ten yesrs, or a pup seam resewn in 5 years, and a TT cushion repaired, and bolt tightened in 3 years. Bad quality. then yeah they suck.

But to me. Knowing that the vehicle is running down the road at 60+ MPH in what would be a very serious earthquake for a house, and it holds together very well. Well that just ain't bad.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
But do consider, these campers ARE made in America, keeping a work force employed.

As well as keeping the people who get stuck with poor quality rigs employed just to keep up with the repairs...
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
No, I do not think we need overseas RV manufacturers selling in the US.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

consumeratlarge
Explorer
Explorer
My parents bought a new J.Deere riding mower. I changed the oil and saw it was an MTD, made in America, but not actually John Deere. I went to look at a 50hp JD tractor to buy, and it was a stripped down Mahindra, made in India. And I've seen some JD with Yanmar engines.

But the big ones that nobody could afford, that get sold to overseas governments, are made in the USA, and are said to be well designed and built.

So, a company with good quality control can use components from all over and still get reliability. But they're higher priced. I'm betting some of the high end RV's have good quality control, and I know some of those prices are eye watering, too.
Coachmen Pursuit 31BDP 2013, 300w solar, 1200w sine inverter, In-motion Winegard Dome sat. ant., L.E.D. lights, P2 brake controller, Yamaha 250 on back carrier, or pulling Stehl dolly with Hyundai Santa Fe

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I know and I understand certain "quality" lacks in our American industry. But do consider, these campers ARE made in America, keeping a work force employed. Parts may come from other countries, but they ARE assembled in America keeping a work force employed.

I do wish every one who complains about the "lack" of quality in today's RV's could spend a couple weeks working on the manufacturing line and see if they could do it better. If they could do it better, then everyone wins!

Of course the work force could do better, but the American public, generally, will not pay the increased price required for increased quality. There are a few exceptions of course.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006