cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ever had a Bad trip?

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
The kind where everything goes wrong? We've been at the camping thing 4-5 years now, and have never really had a sour trip.

So i spend Wed. evening last week prepping for a 3 night stay a few hours south of home, a place we've never been. Indian Cave State Park, in Neb.

We set off like usual, and my first stop at a truck stop, i hop into the camper to use the bathroom, to find water everywhere, and pools in the carpet. I forgot to plug the cooler, and my 20 lb bag of ice melted and leaked right out.

So we arrive, and drive right past the campground, and end up almost having to back out 1/4 a single lane road, luckily someone came up behind us and notified, since the gate was open it wasn't yet underwater from the flooding Missouri river, and there was a turn around point if we kept driving.

It was stormed before our arrival, so the roads were wet, i had to back our TT into our spot uphill on wet blacktop, my tires spun trying to get situated in very tight quarters.

Since the storm, our site was covered, and surrounded by mud.

It was terrible humid.

It was Hot.

The bugs were crazy bad.

The next day, things dried out, so i re-parked the TT in effort to get better situated, and more level, things dried out around us and it was fine.

However, that night, thunderstorm, everything soaked, and again with the mud, and the biting bugs.

We left a day early, and came home.

Time to go out and wipe this trip off the books.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
32 REPLIES 32

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We drove thru heavy, heavy rain for 200 miles....got to cg, still raining, road was narrow muddy with 2 foot ditch on both sides. While trying to back 5vr into site (perpendicular to road) left front tire of truck dropped off into ditch, tried pulling out and then 5vr dropped off into ditch.

Had to ask a fellow camper to help pull us out......got truck/5vr out of ditch and finally got 5vr backed into site......soaked thru & thru, mud everywhere still raining and GF & I are just laughing our rear ends off.

Camp Host stopped by early next morning with a large bag of freshly got perch.
Said "you guys took yesterday in stride regardless of what was happening....here is some fish I just caught this am. Hope you enjoy it"
We did!

Anytime we are out in our 5vr...life is good!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not any bad trips, but I stayed away from the red acid at Woodstock.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t recall having any bad trips, but whatโ€™s the old saying, the worst day camping/fishing/hunting is better than the best day at work. I had my solenoid go out in a cg in Mesa Verde many years ago and thought Iโ€™d have some real heartburn. I worked for a utility and it turned out a fellow working for the competing utility was a mechanic and was on vacation and moonlighting in the area. He came up and replaced it for $40.00.

Then I lost a generator late Saturday night in Raton, NM and spent the night in a K-Mart parking lot. Of course the auto parts store across the street was closed on Sunday. I talked to the manager at K-Mart and he said the owner of the auto parts would come down and open the store and he gave me his name and number. I called and he was in the shower, but he said he would come down. He did and I changed the alternator in the parking lot. What are the chances of that in any city anywhere? So Iโ€™ve had problems on trips, been through some ferocious storms and had things fail I had to repair. But I canโ€™t say Iโ€™ve had any โ€œbadโ€ trips.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
When my kids were young (5 of them) we took a trip to California from Topeka in our 1968 Pontiac station wagon. During the trip, we had problems as listed below:
1. Oil sender failed and dumped engine oil out in Western New Mexico
2. Engine swallowed a valve (right through the top of the piston) just as we entered the Grand Canyon Park
3. The emergency rebuild caused a blown head gasket on right bank as we were leaving Arizona
4. Stopped at a public beach in Oceanside California and spent the day on the beach. Returned to find a short in a wiring harness had melted everything into one huge glob of copper under the dash.
5. The roadside 're-wire" job left numerous shorts still un found which means power windows no longer worked and the horn honked when I signaled for a turn. I installed a 120 volt light switch in the ignition line to prevent battery melt down when stopped.
6. Blown tire while returning through Nevada (there was a 100 mile stretch of Interstate highway still not finished and no service3s
7. Shorts got into the headlights coming through Colorado causing lights to intermittently dim and go bright. Night travel out of the question now.
8. The Alternator went belly up in Colorado also.
9. Engine running on about 6 cylinders as we pulled back into town.

All of that and we STILL thought the good outweighed the bad ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
we went out and it rain for three days straight.. camper was shaking from the wind. we watched red box movies and ate like Pigs.. we slept and played wii games.

Any day camping is a great day!!
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Never a bad trip camping. Always happy even with ups and downs..Funny though. This weekend my daughter does a break torque on her bike and burns right through the tire and tube. 30 min drive to Canadian Tire..
Get back replace it, for for a family bike ride and half hour later my son goes for a ride and his tire is flat....we havent had a flat tire on the kids bikes in the 3 years they have been riding...
So, back to Canadian tire again and came back with 4 spare tubes this time...
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years we have been rained out, been injured, sick, had break downs and every time I am in a campground, someone just has to remind me why I don't like them. That said, we have never had a bad trip. Looking back it seems that the bad things that happen and how we handled them made for some of the most memorable moments of all.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer
First year of RVing...Planned week-long trip to the NE and Niagara.

Realized four hours after leaving home that I forgot my passport. OK, no problem. Improvise and overcome.

Went to Plymouth Mass CG on first leg of trip. HWH levelers decide to go on an extended break.

Pull into CG in PA that was "plan B" instead of Niagara. Levelers still MIA. Go to leave CG...motorhome won't start.

That was my worst trip. I learned from it and have not had anything near that since.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Never have had a bad trip in 40 years.

Some have just been better than others. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a problem with every big trip for us. I almost look for it just to get it out of the way.

Going from southern LP Michigan to the UP on Lake Superior 4 years ago, our truck died....completely. We were 3 hours from home and had to pull over on the side of the expressway. Ended up taking 5 days to fix the truck at a local shop, we stayed in a local cabin and completely missed our UP trip. We still had a nice time with plan B, however and finally made it to the UP the following year.

Going from Michigan to Kentucky 2 years ago, our truck (different truck from the attempted UP trip) started overheating when we were 7 hours from home. We managed to nurse it to the campsite. Found out it was a clamp that came off of a hose. Luckily fixed it for under $100.

This spring, at 11pm at night, when we planned to leave for the Smokies at 6am the next morning, I found water all of the bunkhouse. Apparently our outside kitchen hose was broken from the winter. We had to fix it before we left and got a late start, didn't leave until 9am. Got to our campsite at 10pm that night. 5am the next morning, our LP/Carbon monoxide alarm started going off. We didn't have the LP or furnace on at all. The detector was bad. We replaced it that day, but we were up for the day by 5, when we'd had a late start the day before from other issues.

Could be much, much worse, but I think I will be suspicious of any trip that just seems to go too right.
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

rmasonschneider
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I had one this past weekend.
I arrive at my site to find my neighbors are 20+ year olds all 6 of them staying with a 20ft trailer and tents. That's one pickup, two sedans and two tents all on one rv spot. They had blasted their gangster rap all day and night with a loudspeaker hanging from the awning. They kept this music on even when they went for a stroll on the beach. Then they flew some kites overhead which of course crashed few yards out beyond my rig, getting the string tangled on my bathroom vent cover which I had to climb the ladder onto the roof to undo. Then, they proceeded to play a game of horseshoes facing my unit drunk. Left early morning and was tempted to wake them but I just couldn't wait to get home.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Other than getting sicker then a dog and going home way early. Bulges on two fiver tires the size of baseballs, damaged fiver hitch, backed dually into left open storage door, forgot to drop tailgate, fridge door not shut ( tomatoes and food everywhere), electrical problems, got locked inside fiver, etc.

Nope never had a bad trip!

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Once in awhile a bad trip will happen. But the good trips far outweigh the bad trips.

There is also a cycle... you'll go for many trips without any problem and then there will be several trips with small problems and then a trip with at least one big problem.

The cycle starts over and you have good trips for awhile. Knock on wood we are heading toward the good trips for awhile

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Never had a bad trip, but I don't visit places where people sell or imbibe the stuff that comes on small pieces of blotter paper, in sugar cubes, or in a vial.

ottor
Explorer
Explorer
Last bad trip I had was in the Army - 69' ... Other than that, life's been a breeze.
There's NOTHING more exciting than to be shot at ..... and missed.