cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fastening items to RV walls

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have a suggestion about how to install upgrades to the inside of the exterior, or the interior walls of an RV? Any links would be appreciated.

I have a Rockwood Mini Lite, and it has very few structural members that would hold a screw well, even if I could find them, so I've been using Velcro.

The hook-and-pile part is very strong, but the glue that's on the backs seems to be vulnerable to heat. Even a lightweight roll of paper towels came unglued. I tried super glue and epoxy to hold even this light of an object, but it didn't last.

Just screwing in a wood screw or something would most likely not work very well. What's probably needed is some kind of expansion bolt. It would have to be very short so as to not compromise the outer hull, and have some way of expanding to affix to the back of the thin paneling that is on all of my walls, I would suppose.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Ray and Carol, Boxers Duke and Duchess
2013 Forrest River Rockwood Mini-Lite 22' trailer, with the Murphy bed.
43 REPLIES 43

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
I just put small wood screws in the wall panels. No problems yet - just don't screw them real tight so they don't strip the wall panel.

If a screw did rip out, I would just put a small toggle bolt in it.

Real easy and everything I've put on the wall is still there. No need for toggle bolts yet.

Ed

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Don't count of velcro. I found the glue part that sticks to the wall is no guarantee. Every time I have tried it they came right off the wall.

I had luck with only 'one' command strip and that was hanging something that hardly weighed anything. I basically gave up and have nice clean empty of anything walls in my MH. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your Mini Lite has aluminum wall studs...locate them then drill/screw into them for heavy items.
3M Command Strips for other items-------they 'stick' on----just have to properly clean area before attaching.

We have several pictures hanging in hallway of 5'vr and on walls in living area.
Large pictures with heavy frames. 6 1/2 Yrs of FT travel and they have never even budged
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

travisc
Explorer
Explorer
My solar panels are held on the roof by 3M VHB double sided tape- very high bond. They haven't blown off yet.
Winnebago Access 24V

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
look for 3m dual lock rated for outdoor use.

Is '3m dual lock rated' a type of glue?

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Rockwood Mini Lite, exterior walls are likely 1" foam behind 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" luan. Interior walls will be about 1" empty space behind luan.

Through luan into the foam, I've had moderate success with light loads using plastic expansion screw anchors. You have to use a short (3/4" or less) screw and shorten the anchor to match. I drill only through the luan, drive the anchor into the foam. You do not want to drill far, won't take but a couple seconds to make it through to the outside of the RV.

Manufacturers embed anchor plates, heavier plywood or metal, into these laminated walls where ever they want to mount something. What you want to mount, you are on your own.

Hollow walls, if it is too heavy for a stick-on (i.e. will pull off the wall paper) it is probably too heavy for an anchor. Without the foam to dig into, the anchor doesn't help much, and 1/8" of luan won't hold much by itself.

Like some of the other posters, I like Command Strip, but they will be limited to the strength of what they are fastened to, and in a RV the weak point might be the wallpaper or fake wood plastic covering.

Yeah, I hear you.

So, there is no hope? I don't believe it.

BTW, I'm assuming the 'luan' is the thin paneling on the inside of my RV.

There must be a solution. We just haven't thought of it yet.

Rmack1
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
I've had good success with Command Hooks in my camper and in the house. I've had the same Command Hooks up for years in my previous camper.

Now, I did have one Command Hook in my home bathroom wall, and after a year, the clock it was holding fell. The glue was still holding, but the paint gave way. So the paint was still stuck to the tape and I now had a white spot on my wall. I ended up a nail.

The other option is to use a hook - one of those Command style hooks, and put a drop of Liquid Nails behind it. But, it will never come off the wall then, unless you rip off the finish.

I think I've been down that road.

I used epoxy to secure my Velcro to the wall, And it ripped off the wall paper, or the finish, or whatever. Or, the metal device I was trying to secure came apart from the Velcro backing glue.

How do the Command Hooks secure to the wall? I've Googled them, and it doesn't seem to say.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
look for 3m dual lock rated for outdoor use.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Command strips are my best friend. Also use Velcro heavy for some things.

I found that by looking at the outside of our rig on a cool morning I can see where the condensation has collected on the outside of the rig everywhere except where there is a structural member... So I did some measurements and started to build a map of those structural members in case I need that in the future.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rockwood Mini Lite, exterior walls are likely 1" foam behind 1/8" or maybe even 1/16" luan. Interior walls will be about 1" empty space behind luan.

Through luan into the foam, I've had moderate success with light loads using plastic expansion screw anchors. You have to use a short (3/4" or less) screw and shorten the anchor to match. I drill only through the luan, drive the anchor into the foam. You do not want to drill far, won't take but a couple seconds to make it through to the outside of the RV.

Manufacturers embed anchor plates, heavier plywood or metal, into these laminated walls where ever they want to mount something. What you want to mount, you are on your own.

Hollow walls, if it is too heavy for a stick-on (i.e. will pull off the wall paper) it is probably too heavy for an anchor. Without the foam to dig into, the anchor doesn't help much, and 1/8" of luan won't hold much by itself.

Like some of the other posters, I like Command Strip, but they will be limited to the strength of what they are fastened to, and in a RV the weak point might be the wallpaper or fake wood plastic covering.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Command strip hooks are the RVer's friend!
2 large sized ones close together can hold the wife's massive handbags up.

For things in the 10 pound and higher range those short collapsing wall toggles work well. Be advised they need a 1\4 inch hole for insertion.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I use Command strips and hooks for most everything I want to attach. Only exception is a shelf I placed near the bed. Light items are no problem; for heavier items i use more strips. Never had anything fall off, and they can be removed. No holes.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've had good success with Command Hooks in my camper and in the house. I've had the same Command Hooks up for years in my previous camper.

Now, I did have one Command Hook in my home bathroom wall, and after a year, the clock it was holding fell. The glue was still holding, but the paint gave way. So the paint was still stuck to the tape and I now had a white spot on my wall. I ended up a nail.

The other option is to use a hook - one of those Command style hooks, and put a drop of Liquid Nails behind it. But, it will never come off the wall then, unless you rip off the finish.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
There are some 3M tape products that are rated for different weights that are supposed to work quite well. I understand that if the tape needs to be removed it doesn't leave any marks or scars on the wall also. Check with a good hardware store like Ace for the product.