cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling water tank in cold weather

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
I'm leaving this Sat. for Fla in my MH. I want to fill the fresh water tank before I go. Friday night the low is forecasted to be 27. Is there a problem filling the tank on Friday afternoon for a sat. am departure? Is a low of 27 really a problem for a 50 gal. tank? My plumbing is all winterized and it won't be used until at least Charlotte,NC.
15 REPLIES 15

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We returned from Florida last Saturday for our annual Christmas week vacation. When we left Indiana, the trailer was winterized. We stayed at a KOA campground near Cartersville, GA where I completely unwinterized as we were well out of the freeze belt there. We carried a 6 gallon jug of fresh water (from the house, filtered, good for drinking and coffee) in the trailer.

The first day of travel, if we stopped for bathroom breaks, we simply flushed the toilet with the stored water as the tanks were all empty.

Little did I know the weather would stay so warm. I winterized at the end of October, but really, could have waited .... well ... it's still not been cold enough yet that it was needed, (in central Indiana).

Why not keep your fresh water tank empty, your system winterized, and just take along a couple extra containers of fresh water. Once out of the snow belt, the first campground you come to, make sure it's full hook-up and de-winterize, and next day keep heading South.

You have no worries, no concerns, and you know your camper is still 100% safe from freezing! It's peace of mind.

You will have to de-winterize somewhere anyway? If you are taking the water for showers, you'll still have to unwinterize from your on-board fresh water tank. So why not just keep it winterized until you make it out of the snow belt?

This is what we do. We put a gallon of pink in the bathroom, and use that to "flush" the toilet when needed. Keeps the black tank from freezing up. De winterize when we get south, usually by 2nd or 3rd day.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
I also travel with my water tank full, I like my water better. But I also purchased quality so l don't worry about my water tank falling out.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Yes, a smaller amount may freeze easier then a full tank, however a full tank starting to freeze will burst.
Main thing is the extra weight!

What's this "weight" thing people worry about? I always travel with a full tank, but then I have enough truck.

There are several posts over the years where fresh water tanks and black/grey tank have fallen and failed when they were full. Lot' of discussion developed on all these failures. The bottom line is, no one REALLY knows how stout their tanks are, or how well they are supported, unless you tank is exposed with no covering on the underbelly, or if you have a system where the water tanks actually rests on the floor of the camper and not suspended by thin aluminum straps.

So, some of us just simply do not want to run the risk of a repair and the inconvenience of having our campers out-of-commission for repairs in the event a tank (would happen) to fall. So we run with tanks empty, or mostly empty. It's peace of mind; especially if it's really not necessary to have water on board because our next destination has full hook-ups.

It's not the extra weight and the tow vehicle, it's the ability of the devices to keep the tanks from falling out! Not all campers are created (manufactured) equal you know!

Boy different schools of thought here! If I were worried about well the tanks were secured I would fix that with extra supports. Myself I have traveled several times with all tanks full. Either no dump facility near by, or I didn't want to stand out in the wind and rain to drain them. I always try to travel with a full fresh water tank as the 5er rides better.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be boondocking on the trip down. I learned the hard way to start with a full tank. Not many places to fill your water tank along the road. I was trying to save weight but then had to shower in a truck stop. I think I'll just fill it up in the am that I leave.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Yes, a smaller amount may freeze easier then a full tank, however a full tank starting to freeze will burst.

What's this "weight" thing people worry about? I always travel with a full tank, but then I have enough truck.

There are several posts over the years where fresh water tanks and black/grey tank have fallen and failed when they were full. Lot' of discussion developed on all these failures. The bottom line is, no one REALLY knows how stout their tanks are, or how well they are supported, unless you tank is exposed with no covering on the underbelly, or if you have a system where the water tanks actually rests on the floor of the camper and not suspended by thin aluminum straps.

So, some of us just simply do not want to run the risk of a repair and the inconvenience of having our campers out-of-commission for repairs in the event a tank (would happen) to fall. So we run with tanks empty, or mostly empty. It's peace of mind; especially if it's really not necessary to have water on board because our next destination has full hook-ups.

It's not the extra weight and the tow vehicle, it's the ability of the devices to keep the tanks from falling out! Not all campers are created (manufactured) equal you know!

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We returned from Florida last Saturday for our annual Christmas week vacation. When we left Indiana, the trailer was winterized. We stayed at a KOA campground near Cartersville, GA where I completely unwinterized as we were well out of the freeze belt there. We carried a 6 gallon jug of fresh water (from the house, filtered, good for drinking and coffee) in the trailer.

The first day of travel, if we stopped for bathroom breaks, we simply flushed the toilet with the stored water as the tanks were all empty.

Little did I know the weather would stay so warm. I winterized at the end of October, but really, could have waited .... well ... it's still not been cold enough yet that it was needed, (in central Indiana).

Why not keep your fresh water tank empty, your system winterized, and just take along a couple extra containers of fresh water. Once out of the snow belt, the first campground you come to, make sure it's full hook-up and de-winterize, and next day keep heading South.

You have no worries, no concerns, and you know your camper is still 100% safe from freezing! It's peace of mind.

You will have to de-winterize somewhere anyway? If you are taking the water for showers, you'll still have to unwinterize from your on-board fresh water tank. So why not just keep it winterized until you make it out of the snow belt?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bid_time wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Why not just put in a small amount of water then add when you get to warmer weather?
You should not have any problems with as planned.
Putting a small amount of water in the tank is worse than a full tank. A small amount of water will freeze quicker than a large amount of water.

X2!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I also think you will be OK. Just make sure to leave the pump off.

IS your water heater still drained? Do you remember how to change it from the bypass position? Make SURE it stays off until it is completely full of water. Once you have water in the heater, it needs to stay on while driving enough that the cold air going through the water heater exhaust will not cause it to freeze. Outside air will be going through it a lot while driving.

Some leave the drain plug loose when winterized, so you want the tool to tighten the plug now, not later. And do not overtighten it.

Have fun on your trip!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
enblethen wrote:
Why not just put in a small amount of water then add when you get to warmer weather?
Putting a small amount of water in the tank is worse than a full tank. A small amount of water will freeze quicker than a large amount of water.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'll have a problem either especially once the water begins to move around when you're underway. If it were me, I might run my furnace for an hour or so late Friday. If you do that, it's doubtful that your actual water temp would even approach freezing at those temps, let alone freezing solid, which is what you want to avoid. As mentioned and you've indicated, don't run the pump.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You shouldn't have a problem. Your water will be well above freezing when you fill, and the temps will only be below freezing for maybe 8 hours at the most. The most likely spot to freeze is the line between the water tank and the pump, so don't run the pump until temps are warmer.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board