cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding camping spots

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
What other sites are you using other than RVPARKY.COM.
Dennis Hoppert
29 REPLIES 29

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
jacquesmm wrote:
All good replies and I use some of those apps BUT what do you do when you do not have internet access? If you are in a zone with no signal?
If you can't load the maps, how doou see the campgrounds, for example with AllStays?

Unless you planned ahead it sounds like you are on that famous river without a paddle
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Google maps zoom into area and search rv parks or campgrounds
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
jacquesmm wrote:
All good replies and I use some of those apps BUT what do you do when you do not have internet access? If you are in a zone with no signal?
If you can't load the maps, how do you see the campgrounds, for example with AllStays?

I do a lot of camping in those areas! I use 4 methods:

- Carry paper maps that have fine detail for spotting boondocking places and campgrounds. I like AAA maps.

- Download google maps on my phone before leaving the good cell area.

- Spend a lot of time looking at options when I have net access, and making notes.

- I also sometimes put maps on my laptop hard drive -- topo maps, agency maps of particular protected areas, etc.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

jacquesmm
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't load the maps, how do you see the campgrounds, for example with AllStays?

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you need to know, space size, amenities, discounts, from people that have been there.
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Another tip:

When I can't find a campground listed online for the location I want, I just turn google maps to satellite mode and fly over the area. Some RV parks and tent campground are not listed anywhere online. But they are easy to identify from the air. I look near lakes, or the outskirts of towns.

I also find boondocking spots from the air, all the time. Wide turnouts on forest roads, side branches that go nowhere, etc. Sometimes there is even a rig parked there :). If nothing else, I look for a tiny-town gas station with a vacant lot next door where semis are parked.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
I have USFS maps downloaded on my iPhone and iPad but am becoming a BLM fan...they show on the FS maps in detail. Uncle Sam is good! No internet needed.

Have you found a good app for those maps? Or do you purchase them individually from each national forest?

Let_s_Go_Explor
Explorer
Explorer
X2 for forestcamping.com. The guys have put a lot of effort into it and the information is up to date.
April & Tom (and son Brian when he is in town!)

2021 Jayco Eagle HT 28.5
2021 Ford F350 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab w/ 7.3L Engine and 4:30 Rear.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. Find ways to make it happen! :B

Hiking and Geocaching Rocks!

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
For just about every possible public camping location state by state including national and state parks, national and state forests and recreation areas, BLM campgrounds and boondocking locations, national and state wildlife areas, Bureau of Reclamation, US Army Corp of Engineers and more, you might try www.rv-camping.org
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
GOOGLE MAP of were you want to spend some time
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
I just google the town near where I want to go. the town / city always has a link to lodging. The good CGs are on there. You can also just google CG near where you want to go. Works great

Agreed.

After google the town you can also find the county that it is located in. The county websites sometimes have a list of local campgrounds too.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of my favorites is Uscampgrounds. Pretty complete and accurate info.
We prefer state & COE parks and this is pretty comprehensive.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer State and Federal Campgrounds. I will go to a state park's website to locate them. A good resource is Trip Advisor for campground reviews.I also use campgroundphotos.com to see pictures of the sites.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I use the free app, RV Parks (park advisor) and pretty much nothing else. I never look at our big Directory any more. Almost all campgrounds pop on a map including national sites, county and city parks if you zoom in close. We've found campgrounds along routes we've traveled for years and never knew they were there.
Jayco-noslide