cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

firearm question

hummingbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Will begin traveling this summer, finally retired, and healthy!!
This is a GENERAL question.....
I prefer to travel weapon free, but feel it wise to ask the experienced rv'ers and campers......have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? Some yes or no, might help us with this decision.
53 REPLIES 53

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Only 8 short years for me (4 of which have been fulltiming) and never have needed or even wished I had a weapon.

Additionally, I've thought quite a bit about it- other than protecting the lives of my family, I can't think of another situation where I'd be willing to take someone's life. For instance, if someone wants to steal from me- I'd rather help hitch my rig to their truck than take a life (even a low-life scumbag). I have insurance for that.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Been camping since 1950, I have never really needed protection nor have I felt I needed protection. In the motorhome, I have a very loud horn and an ignition key. If things seemed to be getting dicey out in the boonies, I would raise the levelers and prepare to leave. There are a lot of areas where there is no cell but more where there is, I'd have the DW ready to push the send button and hope the GPS locator is working at the call center, then drive off.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Past experience is not predictive. I am sure that a week ago, the folks in that New Zealand mosque would have said they had never had the need for a firearm.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
In all your seasons of travel, have you ever had the need to use your seat belts?
Does that change your choice of buckling up every time?
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
In a over a couple of decades of RVing I have never needed to brandish a firearm to protect our livelihood. That being said, in the event of such an occurrence while RVing I believe we can handle our own. Enjoy your retirement and all your RVing travels, it is paramount, regardless of the answers to this online query, that you alone makes the final call.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
hummingbirds wrote:
Will begin traveling this summer, finally retired, and healthy!!
This is a GENERAL question.....
I prefer to travel weapon free, but feel it wise to ask the experienced rv'ers and campers......have you ever had a situation when traveling that caused you to need or potentially need your weapon to protect yourself?? Some yes or no, might help us with this decision.

entering season 33. short answer...no.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I have not (and I pray it stays that way) but I went thru the training and jumped thru the hoops to get a CCW so my weapon goes with me. In fact, when I leave home, ALL my weapons come with me because if my home was burglarized while away Calif. would not let me replace them with the same ones.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
76 years of camping/RV'ing and I have never been in a situation where I wished I had a weapon at hand other than a can of bear spray for potential furry four-legged threats.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not; but since you husband is a lifelong trucker he has spent 100's times more hours on the road than I have. What are his experiences?