cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First Aid Kit Contents

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Unsure of where to start this topic, but can't seem to find anything elsewhere. We are planning to go full time in our Tiffin 33 and have previous experience off shore sailing where first aid is of the utmost importance. I understand these will not the same, requirements, but am trying to compile a comprehensive list of what a real first aid kit should contain in an RV. I have some Red Cross training, being a volunteer and am combining that training with lists from my sailing days. I expect to use a tool box to store the kit and believe being prepared for emergencies while on the road is something that can be done without too much effort, but should be done carefully. I am happy to share my list as I build it for others to share along with costs, but would appreciate input from others with more experience.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
28 REPLIES 28

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
A first aid kit would would not do me any good because I don't know any first aid ! I keep a few simple things on hand like: band aids, triple antibiotic ointment, ibuprofen,and things like that.

Some things you might want to add to your list though is some sunbrun cream of some kind. I try to be careful but, thee have been times when I got burnt. Something with aloevera (sp) is nice and also some sort of bug bite, anti itch cream is handy to have.

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
A couple of the small airline sized bottles of bourbon. For internal use only.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
bandages of your choice
tweezers
needle
benedryle
tylonal
alcohol
gauze
butterfly bandages
super glue
booze
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
Are first aid kits like tool kits? Many want to carry everything. Some even carry tools they don't know how to use.

First aid is just that. Stop the bleeding, start the breathing treat for shock.

If it needs a bandaid it ain't life-threatening. A human can bleed out in 5 seconds. Shock kills and well breathing is essential.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are first aid kits like tool kits? Many want to carry everything. Some even carry tools they don't know how to use.

Humpty
Explorer
Explorer
This site -->My Medic has a range of kits from basic to very comprehensive. I have the "Solo" version in my computer bag for work travel. I think it will serve me well.

Yes, the kits get expensive. If you are building you own, you could use the content list as a a guide for what you may need.
2007 Challenger 33DBB parked on the Coast

2016 GMC Canyon Diesel

Community Alumni
Not applicable
bigred1cav wrote:
Get or make a good kit. LOts of sterile dressings of various sizes 4x4, and larger, a box of multi-size bandaids. Forceps, scissors, Kotex box to be used as dressings. Gauze (Kling) to wrap bandages. Benedryl, Tylenol, wire splint (folded) Antiseptic soap and treatment. Ace bandage, sling.

I have to ditto on this.

One thing I have put on a wire splint on a woman with a broken forearm worked well. But the feedback I got was that it does not work well with xrays.

JimR

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
My Wife is a retired RN so we carry more than most. If you go beyond the basics consider breaking up your supplies into multiple kits. I think we have 4 in our B camper. We keep a small basic kit in the front of the van within reach quickly. There are two in the bathroom that have other items and a 4th we hope we will never need in an under bed storage area. Other that the basic one up front there is a list of what they contain so you only need to open the one that has what you need. So far as what is in each, my wife knows and I can read.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Throw in a handful of assorted Butterfly bandages.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
As a retired doc, I'll say BigRed has nailed it pretty well. Don't go overboard on fancy stuff. In an emergency use what you have. Duct tape, a Leatherman, and kotex pads will suffice till you are in a better place! These days I might go for one of those hemostatic packs, just in case -- REI and others have them.
Common things are more important. Pulling a sliver or stinger requires a nice sharp forcep of some sort. Antihistamines. Some OTC pain reliever. Cortisone skin cream.And whatever prescription meds you need.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Get or make a good kit. LOts of sterile dressings of various sizes 4x4, and larger, a box of multi-size bandaids. Forceps, scissors, a box of Kotex to be used as dressings. Gauze (Kling) to wrap bandages. Benedryl, Tylenol, wire splint (folded) Antiseptic soap and treatment. Ace bandage, sling. instant cold pack. The bigger question is what will you use it for what environment dictates how much to have. RV Park not so much. Backpacking in 400-year forests as much as you can carry plus a sat telephone.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived on a boat I always had a first rate Aid Kit, but to be honest, my tool bag was probably way more comprehensive.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I just buy the 12x12x5 first aid kit and call it good. I have no Red Cross training and I'm not a professional medical provider so it's good enough for me.

One thing I will not go without is Benadryl. It saved my bacon a few times with allergic reactions. It will also save dogs that get snake bit.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I always include a splint, tourniquet and blood clotting pads or Israeli bandage as well as extra large gauze and extra ace type bandages.