cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flashlights for Camping

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
On 6/26/15 a member posted a question about which flashlight to use while camping.
Some members recommended a fairly expensive flashlight. Others felt it was too expensive for camping and were concerned about losing it.

Ivylog recommended This Flashlight. On a whim, I decided to try the lights.
I ordered two flashlights, they were shipped from New Jersey and I received them in two days.

I was impressed with the quality, especially for the price. I installed three AAA batteries (not included) and turned it on at night.
I was really impressed. They produce a lot of light.

My DW was also impressed. She ordered 10 more flashlights.
She thinks they will come in handy and, be nice gifts

Will I still be impressed in a year or five years from now?
Don't know, time will tell.
I do know that for now, I'm very impressed with the quality and performance of the 'cheap' flashlight.

I'm not endorsing this product. Just commenting on my observations.

Here's the Original Post
15 REPLIES 15

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
dave17352 wrote:
I really like the headlamp style. It is great to have both hands free and for some reason the light is always pointing in the direction I am looking!

Me too! I have them stashed everywhere. I have a 7-LED headlamp that's so bright it sunburns my nose (J/K) It IS invaluable for navigating down the unlit channel and docking our boat at night.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
USPS finally dropped off my light this weekend. Haven't had a lot of time to test, but at this point after putting batteries in it and mashing the button on the end it lights up ๐Ÿ™‚ I guess that would fall under the "so far so good" category. If I can get a year out if it I will be happy, especially at this price point.
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
oh you said FLASH lights.... never mind I thought something else
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also purchased 2 of the flashlights the OP mentioned after reading this thread. I'm also impressed with them. They shipped to me in 2 days as well.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp - I did exactly the same thing. Had two of those lights arrive in a couple days and also have been *very* impressed with them. Hope I still am in a year, but seems like small money very well spent to me.

ps - my wife did not order 10 more though ๐Ÿ™‚
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

quingus
Explorer
Explorer
For my likes, field of view to 50ft, durability, replacement parts, quality of material and workmanship. I use for work as a LEO, streamline rechargeable-exspensive and has good weight in case of emergencies or self defense. Maglite has been around for years. Same concept, but cheaper. I bought this mega flashlight from sports authority. This thing is beefy. LED, uses 6d batteries, about two ft long. Bought for my wife when her and my daughter go to church camp in the Redwoods. These lights are not for children or people who don't or can't appreciate a good tool. I bought several small Maglites for the kids and teens. Don't care if they drop, lose of whatever. I think when folks take family camping everyone should have one over the age of 7 +/-. All IMHO of course. Everyone has there own way of doing things.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
I really like the headlamp style. It is great to have both hands free and for some reason the light is always pointing in the direction I am looking!
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Helmsey wrote:
I don't NEED another light but I might as well try this one out ๐Ÿ™‚

I ordered one just now for fun
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Helmsey
Explorer
Explorer
I don't NEED another light but I might as well try this one out ๐Ÿ™‚
KK4PFX
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ Dually
2013 Sandpiper 365SAQ

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I've had really good luck with CREE lights.
I ordered a couple for my mountain bike for night riding and they
turn night into day.

Solidly built - I would highly recommend them

Gerry
Gerry

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

The only problem I've had with some is the on/off push button gives problems but that has been the free ones at Harbor Freight with the little round LEDs.

I've also had a couple small Harbor Freight flashlight On/Off buttons fail.
But, they were free so, no big loss.
I try not to buy anything from HF unless I have a 20% off coupon and get something free.

I assume the aluminum alloy casings on all these flashlights can be recycled?

Also, I'm not bashing the more expensive lights. Maybe they will last years without problems.
The lifespan of the cheaper lights, time will tell.
It just makes more sense to me to use a cheaper light for camping, especially when your grandsons are living with you.
Know what I mean? ๐Ÿ™‚

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have several of these CREE type of flashlights around here that uses the three AAA round battery holder. They small enough to carry in your pocket and do very well... Been using them for years...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gbopp, thanks for the followup report. Over the last six years I've bought a bunch of LED bulbs for my home and RV. The new CREE chip is amazing in how much light it puts out and it's the only type I try and buy now.

At Christmas HomeDepot had a pair of non focusing Cree flashlights with the six batteries for $10. The also had head lamps for the same deal making for great gifts. Granted I spent $100, but instead of one rechargeable flashlight I had 20 stocking stuffers.

The only problem I've had with some is the on/off push button gives problems but that has been the free ones at Harbor Freight with the little round LEDs.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one very similar to the one you have. Got mine at Amazon. What I like is that the on-off switch is in the end and the light beam focus is push-pull. Much easier than turning like on a Maglite, especially if your hands are wet.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board