cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatulence causing CO/Propane detector alarm?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for this graphic question, but this happened to me this last trip and I wanted to ask...

Twice during the night, my CO/Propane detector went off - just after I passed gas. The detector is 5 feet away from the foot of my bed. I recall passing gas twice, and each time the alarm sounded within 2 minutes.

Is this just too gross to discuss here? Is this something you've experienced?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
39 REPLIES 39

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
:EWhatever you do, for Lords sake do not light a match!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
What most people don't realize is aerosol cans use isobutane as a propellant which will set the detector off as well.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, those devices are adept at detecting gaseous anomalies. ๐Ÿ˜‰

My previous TT's smoke detector would go off any time I stepped out of the shower. Darn things are just too sensitive, if you ask me.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Skip CO for the moment the "Propane Detector" is really an "Explosive Gas" detector. NOt just propane but butane methans (Farts) alcohol gasoline and more will make it very annoying.

Suggest ventilation. Or BEAN-O (Any drug store)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Simple cure, a cork, and some super glue.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
LOL! Nope, not gross-we're all human. My bloodhound used to set the one off in our family room on a regular basis. My husband can clear a room (please don't tell him I said that!)-and he's done it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Yep - my dog nearly had a heart attack when it went off (his backside was rather close to the detector) - we still giggle about it ๐Ÿ™‚
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Reconsider your diet?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If the Green New Deal had been passed, you probably would have been eliminated along with all the cows.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
I canโ€™t stop laughing!! Thanks for posting!)
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
routeforty wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Yep. Farts definitely contain enough methane to be volatile. I have heard from unnamed sources back in my teen years :W that a fart, a tight pair of jeans and a cigarette lighter will create quite a flare. Not a good idea with shorts though. :E
Also back in my teens had a friend do this with a long one. After several days of sleeping on his stomach and a lot of burn cream he learned a hard lesson. Sure was quite funny at the time watching him scoot on the ground while yelling.

My dorm counselor did it but his sucked back in.

He was running for the showers

Funniest thing I ever saw!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Been posts here before about dogs settting them off.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
At least in my youth, I had enough sense not to try it, but I can confirm that farts ARE flammable. Sometimes with amazing results. It can cause severe burns, but I have not seen more than a slight scorching. In our RV, the detector is right outside the bathroom, and it does go off occasionally. IF your detector is going off often, you probably need to look at the manufacture and installation dates. They do need to be replaced occasionally.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
Yep. Farts definitely contain enough methane to be volatile. I have heard from unnamed sources back in my teen years :W that a fart, a tight pair of jeans and a cigarette lighter will create quite a flare. Not a good idea with shorts though. :E
Also back in my teens had a friend do this with a long one. After several days of sleeping on his stomach and a lot of burn cream he learned a hard lesson. Sure was quite funny at the time watching him scoot on the ground while yelling.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't you know some You Tuber has already tried it:R:B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C