2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980
27 REPLIES 27

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
KopsKamper2 wrote:
This also happened to our 2007 trailer this year. We are thinking of replacing it with Allure flooring that floats. Any suggestions on that?
I've heard of it being used many times. Seems to work just fine. Not much different in concept than a laminate floor except it's vinyl..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

KopsKamper2
Explorer
Explorer
This also happened to our 2007 trailer this year. We are thinking of replacing it with Allure flooring that floats. Any suggestions on that?
2007 Jayco JayFlight 25RKS
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
1 Pug With Attitude

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gee, how I sure do love the carpet we have in all our RV's and homes! Never wrinkles, splits, or looks any different even in 20+ years no matter the temp or humidity and so warm and soft to walk on. In heavy soilable areas like below the frig, range, or kitchen sink we simply have a matching or accenting 3-4 foot throw rug or bound carpet piece. We can't stand linoleum on floors as it's either nice appropriate carpet or real teakwood. Never had a single problem in over 52 years so far! Glad we learned from our parents in the 1940's and had never forgotten what really works!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a similar issue although not as bad. A small tear by the door, but mostly the waviness along the walls. The vinyl contracted so much it pulled out from under the walls and now that its warming up is not expanding back into place but buckling up from the floor. We were planning on updating anyway, so I will likely cut out the existing rather than go over it. ironic we never had a problem until we moved "south"....

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same thing happens every year. You will see reports of this every spring. Floor coverings are loose laid before cabinets go in, not glued down. Caused by expansion/contraction. There is no glue I know that will stick when it's below zero. Those self sticking tiles will pop up once they get real cold. Cut the old flooring out around the edges. Lay the old pieces over a new sheet of flooring and use it for a pattern. Lay the new sheet in place and put quarter round around the edges to hold it in place. Open beer and admire new floor. A couple of hours and it will save you the hundreds or even thousands dealers want to charge. I've done this with laminate also with good results.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

David_R
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did the same this winter following a few days of -15 F lows and single digit highs.
2007 BT Cruiser 5231
2002 Heritage Softail Classic

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suspect some linoleum is "stretchier" than others?? Ours survived 20-below just fine. (Knocking on wood)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:
Shot-N-Az wrote:
How cold does it have to get to see this kind of thing? We saw temps in single digits here this past winter, but no damage.

We got to -30 this year

OMG! I would split and ripple, too!!!
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
Shot-N-Az wrote:
How cold does it have to get to see this kind of thing? We saw temps in single digits here this past winter, but no damage.

We got to -30 this year
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
hotbyte wrote:
That's crazy! So, the subfloor is OK on these, its just the vinyl?

I didn't rip up mine yet, but the ply seems to be fine
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
and
2009 Nomad 3980

hotbyte
Explorer
Explorer
That's crazy! So, the subfloor is OK on these, its just the vinyl?
2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Shot-N-Az
Explorer
Explorer

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
We have been camper shopping for the in-laws the last couple weeks. Every dealer we hit there were at least a 1/2 dozen just like this. One of them had 2 brand new units with the cracks in the floor.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Very common occurrence in rv's several years back. Lino is edge glued at the factory and expansion/contraction causes these huge splits on days when rig is cold then warms up too fast or vs/versa. Cut out old lino, and have replacement material glued down. This has nothing to do with anything you have done, and everything to do with a residential material being used in an outdoors setting. Ours happened in 09 along with hundreds of others at local rv dealerships.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)