cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-350 Towing Spec

TheOutdoorJohn
Explorer
Explorer
This question is plaguing me. Ford's literature for their F-350 SRW Diesels states "Fifth-wheel tow rating limited to fifth-wheel hitch rating of 18,000 lbs.". Does this mean that since their OEM fifth wheel hitch is rated at 18k this is the limit? Gooseneck rating is 20700 seeming to mean they can tow more. B&W makes a hitch meant for the OEM puck system that is rated at 20k. If I use that am I legal to tow a 20k trailer?
18 REPLIES 18

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
TheOutdoorJohn wrote:
You must have very forgiving insurance. My brother had a call stolen and they accused him and stealing it.

Thats nothing Someone stole the keys to my van years ago and insurance company would cover the cost of changing looks because they said my kids were drug addicts. I didnt have kids at that point
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Upon further review: the weight ratings have come up quite a bit since our 2012. In the 2019 tow guides a F-350 SRW can be configured to pull 18K off the bumper or over 20K from a fifth wheel or gooseneck hitch. So, the OP's question makes more sence. If the hitch is only rated 18K then that is the limiting factor. But the solution is an after market hitch. Personally, I would not tow that much without dual rear wheels, but each gets to choose.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Buy a Ram! Problem solved, lol......
You can thank me later, but please mail the consultant fee directly to _______.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Ford system is identical to Reese stuff, so that's probably who makes it. Reese fifth wheel hitches that fit the under mount (Elite series) come in 18K and 24K ratings. That 18K spec likely comes from the Reese rating of the lighter hitch although I believe the under bed mount is rated for 24K. So, the answer to the OP's question IMHO is that the 18K spec refers only to the fifth wheel hitch. Ford will have a lower tow rating that includes the entire truck: frame, wheels, tires, engine, transmission, axle, etc. The tow rating will be lower for an SRW. In my experience I have exceeded GVWR or axle rating well before exceeding the tow rating. In fact our 12,500 lb. RV Fifth wheel puts us right at GVWR with our 2012 F-350 SRW, yet we are under the tow rating by 2,000 lb. Note: I believe Ford had not yet subscribed to the standards for determining tow ratings in 2012. If the OP is concerned about exceeding ratings then there are several such as Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combined Weight Rating, Rear Axle Weight Rating. Even with a well balanced trailer, 20K is going to exceed the Combined Weight Rating.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
TheOutdoorJohn wrote:
This question is plaguing me. Ford's literature for their F-350 SRW Diesels states "Fifth-wheel tow rating limited to fifth-wheel hitch rating of 18,000 lbs.". Does this mean that since their OEM fifth wheel hitch is rated at 18k this is the limit? Gooseneck rating is 20700 seeming to mean they can tow more. B&W makes a hitch meant for the OEM puck system that is rated at 20k. If I use that am I legal to tow a 20k trailer?

B&W also makes a FW hitch for OEM pucks rated to 25K, but without serious modification, your SRW could not handle much more than a 16K actual wt FW, due to RAWR.

Jerry

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some people worry about being overloaded but being over your gvwr can only be discerned using a scale. A truck towing a fiver that puts it a few hundred pounds over its gvwr will generally handle just fine. Too light on the other hand is dangerous. A light pin can cause serious handling and braking issues.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
In BC Canada if your truck is obviously overloaded, such as when the headlights are pointed at the moon, an officer can have you weighed and ticket you for being over your gvwr. I'm not aware of any other jurisdiction that uses gvwr as a legal number. In Alberta Canada if an officer thought you were grossly overloaded he would likely ticket you based on axle or tire rating. I've never heard of an RVer being ticketed for being overloaded.

As others have pointed out a 20,000 lb 5ver will most likely require a dually to carry its pin weight.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Does this mean that since their OEM fifth wheel hitch is rated at 18k this is the limit?

The limit is on the hitch rating and yes it can be a legal issue.
Gooseneck rating is 20700 seeming to mean they can tow more. B&W makes a hitch meant for the OEM puck system that is rated at 20k. If I use that am I legal to tow a 20k trailer?

Its not illegal to tow over the mfg suggested tow rating. However other legal issues are at play on a one ton SRW truck towing a 20k 5th wheel trailer.
First off a 20k 5th wheel rv trailer may have 4000-4500 lb of hitch weight. These trucks rear axle has a 7000-7230 RAWR and can weigh in the 3200-3400 lb range. Now add 4000 lb hitch load....200 lb hitch.....more lbs for people and gear in the truck. You've severally over loaded the trucks 7000-7230 rawr. RAWR is the lessor of the OEM wheels....tires....rear spring pack.
The truck will need some heavy duty mods to carry a load from a 20000 lb 5th wheel rv trailer.

Tow rating aren't just for rv trailers but all types. A 20k tri axle GN flat deck trailer or a stock trailer can be loaded so as not to overload the trucks RAWR.

Short answer is a one ton SRW won't be legal to tow a 20000 lb rv trailer.

Insurance ?? As others say they will pay just like drunk drivers....speeders....crack users....dumb azz pot smokers or old folks or dumb blonds. But may drop you after you receive that payment.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Stealing your own car and reporting it as stolen is Fraud, Fraud is a crime. Driving a truck above its payload rating is not a crime. Nothing illegal about it.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
TheOutdoorJohn wrote:
You must have very forgiving insurance. My brother had a call stolen and they accused him and stealing it.

A stolen call? Wish someone would steal some of mine. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
TheOutdoorJohn wrote:

Lol!
You mean a car stolen and the ins company said he stole his own car?
Now that's funny right there...What profession is your brother in?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I checked with a close acquaintance who owns a towing business. To his knowledge in 30 plus years no one has ever shovelled up the wreckage of a RV and weighed it to see if it was one that got by the RV.net weight police.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
In some states the insurance company may not "cover" YOUR losses but in all states they will pay to the max covered amount other people's losses.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

TheOutdoorJohn
Explorer
Explorer