cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four major cities outside U.S. ban diesel by 2025

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Here it comes. I'm going to miss my cummins. Meh it'll be 22 years old by then.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38170794

It will be nice to walk around paris without all the noise and coughing though.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.
29 REPLIES 29

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
It is also a big problem in some cities in the USA that the public transportation is abismal if not down right non existent, Los Angeles or San Diego for example.

When I lived in Los Angeles I decided to take a trip from my inlaws home in the Hollywood, Los Feliz area to Marina del Rey North of the LA airport, I started at 07:00 had to go down town to change bus arrived at Marina del Rey just before 12:00 gulped a slice of pitza a few gulps of a beer and had to take the bus, same one inbound back to down town to transfer to the bus back to Los Felis, got home at 19:30.

Twelve hours on public transport, from Los Feliz to Marina del Rey, by personal car 10 to 20 minutes by freeway, today it is more like 00:45 to one hour or more on the public system it probably takes 2 days, as long as the public transport system in the USA is in bad shape Diesel will still be with us.

In San Diego it would take me one and a half hours from home to work an incredible distance of 25 miles by public transport, so yes the car was handier longer in the afternoon no coorddination between trolley and bus.

In Europe many taxis are Diesel powered, so they have more to gain from changing to a diferent system, Diesel engines produce soot another source of this soot are jet engines, I lived under the path of the Navy's jets landing at north island and we had black greasy dust outside and inside the house, it stoped inside when I built a filter system and positive pressure in the house, the out side is still gresy and sooty, GO NAVY!

Some cities are now using natural gas to power the buses and trash trucks so there is hope for cleaner air, specially for persons with breathing problems.

navegator

One time I plotted out what it would be for me to take public transportation to work. That didn't work out so well. It was going to take 8 hr to get to work and 9 to get home
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I do not think such a ban will ever occur here, and I have no intention of going to any of those cities in my truck, so I'm not too concerned about it.
If diesels are ever banned in Montana cities, I will probably be long dead before it happens, so I'm not very concerned about that, either.

X2
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
Not the correct forum for that conversation, Google is your friend.
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Adam H wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
I was following a natural gas bus in Palm Springs today.

The california high speed rail project shows promise though. They are building it as we speak but don't expect to see actual high speed trains on it till 2029. 330 KMH. LA to San franciso n 2 hours 40 minutes.

Hahaha. That's some funny stuff there. More like 2129 and it will cost so Much people will fly or drive. Brown's choo choo to nowhere

Yah, I am foreigner so don't know the local politics on the subject. So you don't think it will happen? Would be interested in hearing more on your take of the subject. The "choo choo" to nowhere comment implies that people maybe think it is not going to the right location??

Cheers
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Adam_H
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
I was following a natural gas bus in Palm Springs today.

The california high speed rail project shows promise though. They are building it as we speak but don't expect to see actual high speed trains on it till 2029. 330 KMH. LA to San franciso n 2 hours 40 minutes.

Hahaha. That's some funny stuff there. More like 2129 and it will cost so Much people will fly or drive. Brown's choo choo to nowhere
2007 Fleetwood Avalon HW PUP
2001 Excursion 6.8L V10 3.73
2005 F150 5.4L
Gone but not Forgotten: 1971 Trailstar PUP, 2002 Fleetwood Wilderness Northwest Edition, 2002 Keystone Bobcat 280-EB

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
The rest of the world is going to move ahead, regardless of what we in North America do.

I agree but I think three years can change a lot of attitudes. Once the new crop of EV's is out there more people will take test drives and that is the true seller. Once you drive something without a tail pipe its pretty much over. There will be a need for gas and diesel vehicles for a while yet, trucks, pickups etc. But commuting, hard to compare an electric to the gas burners.

You haven't been paying attention to national news!..:S

Fossil fuel is now *IN*!

Oil Companies are in the driver's seat (no pun)!

The temperature of the earth is *NOT* rising!

Polar ice is *NOT* melting, etc., etc..!

"WE" (the US) doesn't give a hoot what Europe does, or is doing.

Like it or not - - get used to it..:W

~

Not understanding your post. The driving experience of an electric vehicles has nothing to do with oil. IT has to do with the motive force, quiteness and smoothness of ride etc . Not sure how you made that connection. Fossil fuels are part of our economy and manufacturing process. Using that resource wisely only makes common sense and is everybodies concern.

I am not convinced on the global warming by man thing. IIt could be but there are lots of things in play there. What has that got to do with wanting to reduce pollution. Pollution in cities is mostly caused by automobile exhaust. I can't see how anyone would be against reducing pollution unless they didn't have lungs or didn't drink water. We all pollute but less is better.

I don't ,know much about polar ice so don't know how that entered into the discussion.

I doubt you speak for everyone in the US. There are many intelligent, well educated people in the US who care about the quality of peoples lives in general. Others not so much, but that is the way of the world. We are a small planet and everything we do affects us as a people in general.

Not sure what 'get used to it" means. All countries everywhere are making strides to a better planet for future generations. I am getting used to that. Countries that don't, suffer the consequences of their own actions, lower quality of life, shortening life spans, isolationism from other countries and cultures. Maybe I misunderstood your statement. I suspect it was made satirically. Forums are bad for reading peoples real feelings. They are very good for discussing important issues though. Everybody has an opinion.

I read the news in four newspapers in four languages from Europe, Latin America, North America and Africa every day. I confess I don't spend much time on American news sources as they rarely report on things that happen outside of the USA but usually real newsworthy USA headlines are available in German and French news sources.

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
The rest of the world is going to move ahead, regardless of what we in North America do.

I agree but I think three years can change a lot of attitudes. Once the new crop of EV's is out there more people will take test drives and that is the true seller. Once you drive something without a tail pipe its pretty much over. There will be a need for gas and diesel vehicles for a while yet, trucks, pickups etc. But commuting, hard to compare an electric to the gas burners.

You haven't been paying attention to national news!..:S

Fossil fuel is now *IN*!

Oil Companies are in the driver's seat (no pun)!

The temperature of the earth is *NOT* rising!

Polar ice is *NOT* melting, etc., etc..!

"WE" (the US) doesn't give a hoot what Europe does, or is doing.

Like it or not - - get used to it..:W

~

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
tdst51 wrote:
Thank God I never have to leave this country. Okay, maybe Canada when I go to Alaska, but that's it. Could care less about Europe and their crappy cities that don't want diesels. Pretty much comes down to this: Who cares?!?

Good morning. Well, certainly to each his own, but I'm curious, which cities in Europe you didn't like. Obviously something turned you off from European cities and culture. Just curious.

tdsxt51
Explorer
Explorer
Thank God I never have to leave this country. Okay, maybe Canada when I go to Alaska, but that's it. Could care less about Europe and their crappy cities that don't want diesels. Pretty much comes down to this: Who cares?!?
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
dodge guy wrote:
This is why I bought my V-10 instead of a diesel!

Lol. You'll be safe if it ever happens in Bartlett!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
I may be wrong but I thought the pollution from our diesels was lower than theirs and aren't the emissions less from the new diesels than from a gasser?

I believe it is a particulate thing. Also part of the problem is how any are modified after for more power etc.

Another thing you see mentioned is noise. Diesels are still fairly noisy. Gassers less and electric dead quiet. From what I hear even busy Norwegian cities are becoming very quiet places. I know both our electric vehicles have "noise makers" so they generate at least a gentle humming sound to warm pedestrians.

from the results of the VW diesel scandal, at least currently U.S. standards for passenger diesels are more stringent than europe.

For new U.S. passenger diesels particulates are virtually non existant. And as far as noise, I'd say the latest diesels are just as quite as a gas engine.

Comercial U.S. vehicle diesels are currently higher emissions than passenger cars or light trucks. And they tend to be driven for decades so it is hard to get older ones off the road.

California enacted rules on use of older diesels in certain areas, and the non compliant trucks ended up being moved out of state, Oregon being one state that is now seeing many of them registered in.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer

The sky is falling!..:R.:R

:S