cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

French Door Residential Refrigerator - secure for travel?

bobinraymoremo
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Samsung residential refrigerator on order, RF217ACPN to be exact, to replace our Norcold 1210. We were wondering if those that have this type of refrigerator had any suggestions on how to secure the door and freezer drawer for traveling. We have thought of child locks but were afraid that they would scratch the finish.
--
Bob & Jo (Full-time RV'ng since 09/10/2009 and loving it!)
Our travel blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/
Our RV-2010 Carriage Cameo F35SB3
Our Tow Vehicle-2010 Ford F-350 DRW
11 REPLIES 11

bobinraymoremo
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I can't help with the doors, I'm curious how you will get it in the RV? That is a big refrigerator.

We were told depending on the dimensions either remove the door frame or remove the big rear window, probably the rear window.
--

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a velcro strap on the top doors and a second one that goes down to the freezer. I saw a hook that you can put on the freezer to hold it shut.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with the doors, I'm curious how you will get it in the RV? That is a big refrigerator.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 Residential Refrigerators, on in our indoor kitchen and one in our outdoor kitchen. So far our longest trip has been about 4 hours and everything stayed cold, even our ice in the ice maker. I did buy a inverter, but thinking now why!!

MeanderMan
Explorer
Explorer
"Keeping your food safe at the correct temperature as you travel is going to be your biggest problem with a res fridge. Unless you are living in your RV in one place and have permanent electric hook-up."

This is a false statement. There's no reason a residential refrigerator can't maintain the same temperature hooked up, running on inverter, or running on generator. Ours has never varied, and we check it since it has an on-door display. In fact, it works better than our Norcold 1200 ever did. The only problem is that I sprained my wrist trying to scoop the rock-hard ice cream.
Happily Fulltiming Somewhere
2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
2013 Honda CRV
Our RV Blog

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
We toured one of the new DRV Suites a couple of months ago, with a side by side Whirlpool refrigerator. They used a Velcro strap and nothing more to keep doors closed in transit.

Don't know what they'll use for freezer drawer as the new 2014 1/2's will have the French Door and bottom freezer.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
No problem. Good luck and happy travels.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

bobinraymoremo
Explorer
Explorer
John & Angela wrote:
Depending on the door handle design just throw a piece of Velcro around the two handles. Having said that the times we have forgotten to do this the doors stay closed.

Re keeping it cool while driving. I am assuming your install will include a proper sized inverter. If so no worrys as the charge line from the truck will be more than adequate to keep the batteries powering the inverter charged up. Residential fridges don't use that much power.

Thanks for the velcro tip. As far as the inverter goes we decided since we travel 150-200 miles and do not boondock that we did not need one. We'll see how it goes, we can always add one later.
--

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Go to comment 140 for an elegant and simple device.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the door handle design just throw a piece of Velcro around the two handles. Having said that the times we have forgotten to do this the doors stay closed.

Re keeping it cool while driving. I am assuming your install will include a proper sized inverter. If so no worrys as the charge line from the truck will be more than adequate to keep the batteries powering the inverter charged up. Residential fridges don't use that much power.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping your food safe at the correct temperature as you travel is going to be your biggest problem with a res fridge. Unless you are living in your RV in one place and have permanent electric hook-up.

Double doors tend to open more than the single door while on the road. Do not put any heavy items, or don't put any food stuffs in the 'door shelves' to help prevent this.

It's usually the weight of items placed IN the door that can make them open from the extra weight.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.