cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Friends on RV.net

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Recently stranded out of town 4 hrs from home with a major issue, as in a failed transmission. Fortunately I was able to connect with a fellow RV.net member that lived in the area that could steer me to a reputable shop in town.

What I value about this forum, and what has kept me a member all these years, notwithstanding all of the blowhard, uninformed, and opinionated posts, are the true RVers that go out of their way to help their fellow RVer.

In fact this guy came out to the CG where I have been stranded for the past week to say hello and see if I needed anything. So for those of you that can only post about inconsiderate campers with outside speakers, barking dogs, and cigarette butts in the fire rings, I say look at why we are here.

We had never met nor known each other personally, but yet this RV.net member went out of his way to help me. That, my friends, is why you should be on this forum,
16 REPLIES 16

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
We were boondocking in the mountains of Arizona and met an elderly couple camped nearby who offered some help backing into a rather tight spot. I had been camping in the region for decades as a kid. Had wondered about many things I found in the area while hiking that were far remote from any road. An old Cabin with a note attached to the door reading "Feel free to use this cabin". It was dated 1952 and I had stumbled upon it in the 1980's. A few miles away there was a campsite with a large firepit made from huge rocks and a steel griddle. Far to heavy to have hand carried it there. Had always wondered who built this cabin and the campsite. The elderly man explained it was was him and his father who ran cattle in the area in the 1950's. They had built the cabin, the campsite and developed the campground area where we were currently at for their ranch hands. Throughout our stay this couple came by to say hi and helped with anything we needed. Also handed me a book he had published about the history of the area. So helpful and learned so much that I had wondered about since a kid.

What a wonderful experience and post. Thanks for sharing.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We were boondocking in the mountains of Arizona and met an elderly couple camped nearby who offered some help backing into a rather tight spot. I had been camping in the region for decades as a kid. Had wondered about many things I found in the area while hiking that were far remote from any road. An old Cabin with a note attached to the door reading "Feel free to use this cabin". It was dated 1952 and I had stumbled upon it in the 1980's. A few miles away there was a campsite with a large firepit made from huge rocks and a steel griddle. Far to heavy to have hand carried it there. Had always wondered who built this cabin and the campsite. The elderly man explained it was was him and his father who ran cattle in the area in the 1950's. They had built the cabin, the campsite and developed the campground area where we were currently at for their ranch hands. Throughout our stay this couple came by to say hi and helped with anything we needed. Also handed me a book he had published about the history of the area. So helpful and learned so much that I had wondered about since a kid.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the babble on the forum is just fine. It is the reason we are all here. Then occasionally you agree with some one on a particular subject and a friendship is formed. aka: "birds of a feather". I have met many RV.Net members over the years, some as far back as 2000 are still friends.

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We had a transmission malfunction crossing Hoover dam back in the 80's and it would not shift out of 2nd gear. I was able to get to the Lake Mead campground then the next day went into a supermarket and asked 3 different stock boys where they would take their vehicle for service. They all gave me the same answer. I took my truck there and was pleasantly surprised at how fast they repaired it and how happy I was at the cost. The locals know where to stay away from.....

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks , good post. Nice to hear people thinking of others rather than themselves..

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am always helping someone in need. Just seems like the thing to do. My 2KW generator sitting secured in the tailgate corner of my truck has helped out many of fellow campers fixing to leave their camp site and run down their truck batteries leaving the doors open to long for loading etc... The same goes for my 12VDC portable air compressor...

Always run into someone in the various parking lots standing by their vehicle with that unmistakeable "help me" look.

I have rescued myself many times running down my own truck start battery yapping too long on my Ham radio setup.

Its all about having PLAN Bs....

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
sorry about the failed transmission. Ouch ๐Ÿ™‚

great post! good people are out there to help!!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We, too, have met several members...all have been the best..in fact, we are supposed to meet a couple tomorrow..looking forward to some great times and story sharing......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Burbman -

Awesome! Thats really great to have that experience to post.

Excellent post. And I hope the 'burb is back to normal again.

I have met a few RV.Net members over the years and 100% of the experiences have been very positive.

I think my all time favorite and best meeting experience was in Calgary Alberta quite a few years ago now where I shared dinner with SWD and got to know him a bit.

This forum is like your extended family! ๐Ÿ™‚
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Great post BurbMan.

Good to hear the positive side!

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear that you got some help, hope the Burb is behaving itself now.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I have met a few RV.net members over the years and all were great folks.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

pkunk
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yes! We met many friends from this forum and had some great experiences meeting with them. No names needed, you know who you are.
1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

jkmcmom
Explorer
Explorer
It's great to know that besides "meeting" here on the keyboards that there are times we can meet in person. We learn from each other on the forums and now we read about being able to help our fellow rv.net buddy. So, so good! Thank you for sharing!
2014 Georgetown 378TS & 2014 Jeep Patriot // Traveling with DH along with Katrina, Pas & Missi (our 3 cats)