cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Garmin Basecamp

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I have just bought a Garmin RV 760LMT an having a learning curve for me goes straight up. The tutorial online is not that easy to fallow. I have tried to fallow the youtube videos how to use BaseCamp. All with little luck. I have used Garmin handheld GPS for boats that I have set up trips on with no problem. Is there a place that shows you how to program and set up routes and import POIs?

Buster
25 REPLIES 25

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
I, too, struggle with BaseCamp, but I have not given up.

While searching for some Basecamp answers this morning, I stumbled across this Harley-Davidson mapping program (don't need to be a motorcycle person to use it). Based on loading my first trip from the Harley site to my Garmin Nuvi, I like it.

Might work for others, too...

Harley-Davidson Ride Planner
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
If you are interest this is a link to 11,000 truck stops, government and private campgrounds. It is in Garmin file sharing format so you can open it directly with BaseCamp after you download it to your computer. . Link to POIs

The names of the Waypoints may not be very descriptive. I use BaseCamp to plan my route and then focus in a area that I want to either get fuel or spend the night to find what is in the area. This file saves me time and effort trying to find the exact GPS location of a truck stop or campground.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
Over the last 12 years I have used MS Streets and Trips, Delorme Street Atlas, Mapsource (Basecamp predecessor), and Basecamp. When Basecamp came out I too fought with it as it doesn't work like the other mapping programs. But having map updates a few times a year made me figure it out. Now I have libraries of Campgrounds and POI's that I can pick from as needed. I can do anything in Basecamp that I did in any of the other programs.
One of the really nice features in Basecamp is the interaction with Google Earth. With three keystrokes I can toggle from an object in Basecamp and show it in Google Earth. Great tool for verifying locations and routes.
Basecamp is a great tool (if you are the owner of a Garmin GPS with Lifetime maps) but the learning curve is high. Like all mapping programs Basecamp has operations I do not like so I have to work around them. Once you master it you will not go back.

P.S. Save time and frustration, don't mess with the Trip Planner.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buster52 wrote:
Laughing. You panned to the right (east) and that's where Asia is relative to the UK. Try panning left (west) and you'll find the New World.

Bob, I said I panned both ways and it didn't show the US. I typed in my address on the where to start and then it showed me the US. Once you put in the start and finished point it doesn't allow you to add a new point in the trip. How do you do that?

I pulled up the web site, panned over the ocean to the left (as Columbus discovered, it's a long ways) and landed in the US. Zoomed in on a couple of locations to see the details and it all worked. I didn't try anything beyond that though. I was impressed with how fast the app seemed to render the maps, far faster than Google or Mapquest.

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
Laughing. You panned to the right (east) and that's where Asia is relative to the UK. Try panning left (west) and you'll find the New World.

Bob, I said I panned both ways and it didn't show the US. I typed in my address on the where to start and then it showed me the US. Once you put in the start and finished point it doesn't allow you to add a new point in the trip. How do you do that?

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
type in local city "coma" state, USA.

Cleveland, Ohio, USA

I can NOT get it to log onto host site to get file to send to my Garmin.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buster52 wrote:
I did pan over in both directions and it didn't show the US. Instead it showed my Asia. I did find the US when I put in a address from the US.

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I did pan over in both directions and it didn't show the US. Instead it showed my Asia. I did find the US when I put in a address from the US.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Zoom out, pan over to the US, and zoom back in.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
Buster52 wrote:
http://gpx.cgtk.co.uk

I did get it to show the US. It is not a easy as MS Streets and Trips or Delorme Street Atlas.

How did you get it to show the USA?
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you connect the GPS to Garmin to update and download the maps, you'll be asked if you want to download to your computer too. Do that and direct Basecamp to where the map was installed. It will now use that map. Using the GPS map makes Basecamp run slowly since it has to access the GPS map.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
http://gpx.cgtk.co.uk

I did get it to show the US. It is not a easy as MS Streets and Trips or Delorme Street Atlas.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
You don't have to have the GPS plugged into your PC for Basecamp to work. But you do have to have an up-to-date map loaded on the computer for Basecamp to work.

What kind of map do you load on the computer?
My understanding of Basecamp is that the Garmin GPS stores the map database on it.
That's why it has to be connected to the laptop to do any planning.

I used Streets & Trips to do the planning - it's far better than Basecamp. I create waypoints on S&T and number them - then export them to a GPX file which can be imported into Basecamp.
S&T cannot export the Route Planner ๐Ÿ˜ž to gpx - so the work around it to use waypoints which can be exported to gpx file.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
MikeInOregon wrote:
I also hate Basecamp. I use this web site http://gpx.cgtk.co.uk/ to create a route in the Google Maps interface.

What a neat route planning tool. Thanks for posting. I'll be using this one for my next trip.

Fred

Agreed, I will try it out for my trip, the end of this month...700 miles