cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gas stations

BrianAmaral
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ,I have never had to pull into a gas station while hooked up to my camper, and I will have to next month going on a long journey. it may sound stupid but is there a special way to pick a spot or a pump\with out taking out the place .lol
34 REPLIES 34

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
subscribed

mikegt4
Explorer
Explorer
Not only do you need to look at the "entrance" and "exit" possibilities BEFORE pulling in, you also need to look UP at the possible overhead obstructions (again, BEFORE pulling in).

The_Painting_Te
Explorer
Explorer
"The Next Exit" is a great travel book to carry with you. It carries info on what is available at each exit on all US interstates including gas, restaurants, hotels, rest areas, and tourist points of interest. The RV friendly gas stations are indicated in red print. They have longer bays and larger turning areas than other. Camp on!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just drove a mile or so through a small town east of Seattle with one gas station after another and none suitable to pull into.

Finally found one and pulled all the way up to a pump only to discover that it was out of service (little handwritten note taped to pump). No problem, I'll just back up and move over to the next one - but no can do because that was out too. Only thing we could do was a crazy 180 turn to get to the nearest working one. Grrrr.... :M

Lesson learned is, don't pull all the way forward until you are sure the pump is working so you have a decent escape route.

dalerussel
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled from Arizona to the east coast and back last summer with a 35 ft Class A gas motor home. Many of the gas stations were situated with the pumps angled towards the convenience store so without a lot of work, we couldn't use them. Pilot/Flying J has a brochure that lists all of their stations and identifies what services are available, such as an RV lanes. You can download this in PDF also. In general, I was disappointed with the TA station access. They seem to be set up for cars in front and diesel trucks in back but not for gas RVs. Some Walmarts had good pull through lanes. This summer we will be towing a vehicle so we will have to be more careful!

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
1) Use common sense- every situation is different.
2) I tend to pull up to the first pump I come to and an outside one if possible (leaving the camper hanging behind me (and being sure I don't block the cross traffic))- but more importantly- leaving the pump ahead available for someone else to use...this sometimes forces me to back out.
3) Repeating #1 this does not always work.
4) I have very few 'traumatic' fueling experiences (27 ft TT) and rarely worry.
5) No argument- there are some tight stations in existence, but plenty of roomy ones too.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We preffer the Flying J's as many of them have seperate RV pumps.Other than that,I look for stations that have the pumps parralel to the road.If they are perpendicular to the road,then I prefer then end pumps.
Don't get yourself stuck in a situation where it may be possible to pull in,but impossible to pull out forcing you to back out into the road.

northmeck0255
Explorer
Explorer
Use Google street view to scope out the potential fuel stops. That's how we do it if a truck stop isn't handy.
2010 Airstream 27FB Classic Limited
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4X4

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little OCD when it comes to this, but if I'm taking my trailer anywhere that I've never been to before, I look at the Google street view and plan my strategy. Never done this for a gas station before. I just look and see if there's enough room before I pull in.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't find a drive through pick a station on a corner so you can exit on the side street. Pick an outside pump and come in wide, 3-4 ft away from the pump so you have room to swing around on the way out.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gas or Diesel? Makes a difference. I have never towed with a gasser and have always used the truck lanes. Pull in; get diesel; pull up to pay; go down the road.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I would look into a Pacific Pride cardlock membership as well.

A cardlock is just a set of fuel pumps. No convenience store, no individual restrooms bigger than the new Austin apartments. It is no frills, pull up, swipe your card, fill the tank, get your receipt and leave. However, the advantage of this is the simplicity. While other people are either waiting for pumps to come available at the place across the highway (here in Austin, the diesel pumps are on the ends, and usually they are taken by someone eating lunch and yapping on their cellphone), you can get your vehicle fueled up and be on the road.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have some good camping out there Brian. I hang out with the gators down at Huntington Beach State Park.

My watering hole is the VFW just up the road.

Course I am older than dirt. I always say the the best thing about Myrtle is that it has a bypass. :W

Rick_Y
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget places like Costco fuel stops. The ones in my area have straight shots in and good room for exiting. Of course, you do have to have a membership.
Rick & Karen
2017 Hideout 177LHS travel trailer
2021 Ford Ranger w/tow package, named "Lil Toe"

Estu inteligenta, kaj parolu Esperanton