cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator question.... (leaving in less than two weeks)

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize in advance if its in the wrong forum.

I'm going in earyly Oct to a state park not far away, that has no hook ups of any kind. I've been kicking around the idea of getting either a second battery or a generator so I'll have the 110 when/if I need it. A local retailer has a Champion 1400/1800 on sale right now for 179. VERY tempting as I'm a tapped out working slob. It seems like it would be perfect for charging the battery back up or being able to use some 110 stuff. I realize its not the best brand. Now, my question is about what it would run... My microwave is a 900W. I believe the air conditioner booklet said it was 536W. Obviously I know not to try to run more than one high powered device at a time. It even has an RV plug in (grin). I looked at inverter gennies but ka-ching. That brings me to the next thing. Is there something to put in between the generator and the rig to smooth out that rough electricity? Line conditioner etc? Or will the rigs inverter be able to handle it? Thanks for any help you can give me.
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
21 REPLIES 21

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Beebo wrote:
Not sure why the bad rap on Champions here.

Not sure why the exaggeration here. :h My comment was in reference to this particular open frame genset with a synchronous engine that is FAR too loud for use anywhere anyone else may be present, particularly state parks which is where the OP said in his original post he was intending to use this genset. Champion or not, $179 only buys so much, in this case not much at all. ๐Ÿ˜ž
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
get the second battery and save up for a Honda or Yamaha.

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm. I think if I do get one, I'll get something a little more robust. I may just do the extra battery thing and maybe simply pick up a switch to flip between the new and old (since you don't want to wire an old and new battery together)

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to comment on the generator.
I have the older version, the 1200/1500.It is my second champion.
I have had this one for over 5 yrs with no problems.
Yes it will run the micro and charge the batts,but maybe not at the same time.I had to turn off the converter at the breaker when I ran the micro. Rule of thumb is if micro rated 1000 w then you need at least 1500 w gen.
Also before you store it run it out of gas and store it dry
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
A champion 2000i inverter generator would do it all but the AC and do it as quiet as the other two options do it, just less expensive. Get lucky and you can find them on craigslist for $3-400 and supergen usually has refurbished for $499.

As far as Champion being junk, what about dependable, easy starting, quieter than other open frames makes them junk? I've had a 3500/4000 for years. it can run our AC 2000 ft higher than a Honda 3000is, starts in any weather with one pull, and be as quiet as a Honda Handi with a sound tent.

The best part is that by NOT wasting my money on a pretty generator that can't at altitude, I used it to buy the solar and batteries that allow us to leave the generator at home while still having all the comforts of hook ups.

The dirty little secret of all of this is that you can buy the quietest generator made or like us go solar and be silent only to have the neighbor pull out the loudest open frame or think that his Honda is SOOO quiet that it is ok to run it 24/7.

So with that thought in mind I can tell you that our Champion 3500/4000 has never been heard even when we did use it. We only boondock and we can barely hear it inside with the TV and AC going. Outside I'd want a good 100 feet or better to drop it to just annoying.

No generator is quiet enough for close quarters.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Mr_Beebo
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure why the bad rap on Champions here. They have been around for sometime now and have proven to be reliable. The $179 mini gen won't suit you for what you want, but that doesn't mean you must buy a Honda or be considered an idiot.
Look at the Champion inverters online and you should find some very reasonable prices along with some consistantly positive reviews.
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
to the question of modified sine wave.. to pure sine wave..

there is NO cheap way of doing it.. or even a good price way...

I run my Samsung 32 inch TV with a directv satellite box off a 400 inverter.
with power to spare. and need be a coffee pot.

but AC or microwave.. needs LOTS OF POWER.
but I run my stick House off of a 7,000 watt Generac. for power outages.

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I realize I won't be using the AC, I was referring to the possibility in summer. This trip will be 5 nights. I have already installed battery powered lights in the rig with wireless swithches for lighting. I ve dry camped before like I mentioned but it would just be nice to be able to use the microwave and charge the battery without using the truck.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
No help with the technical aspect of the OP's problem but can say that every state park I've ever camped at in the NE gives specific hours for running a generator. As long as that is adhered to he should be fine.

Now from a different perspective have you checked the weather forecast for the time you are going? You'll prolly be more in need of a heater over the A/C despite it being unseasonably warm and humid currently (GRR!). With no generator you won't be able to use microwave, wattage hog, that it is but you will be in the great outdoors;).

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
How far is "not far away"?

1 or 2 batteries will not run your AC long enough to help much. If you want the AC, only a generator will help.

If "not far away" is close enough to drive home, you could get a second battery, leave one at home on a charger and drive home when the battery you are using gets low and swap batteries.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
kamperdog wrote:
I'm going in earyly Oct to a state park not far away, that has no hook ups of any kind. I've been kicking around the idea of getting either a second battery or a generator so I'll have the 110 when/if I need it. A local retailer has a Champion 1400/1800 on sale right now for 179.

I personally wouldn't waste the $$$ on junk like this but instead invest in a second battery along with a good stand alone deep cycle battery charger which every RV owner (arguably) should own anyway. Even in parks with "no hook ups" there is often somewhere that does have power - the gate house, bath house, campground store, etc - and if not there's usually a nearby town where you could drop your depleted battery, the charger, and a few $$ to a store or gas station attendant to let you re-charge the battery for a few hours. I did this in Yellowstone NP, there's little reason it can't be done in most other situations other than camping in the desert 100 miles from the nearest signs of life. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Camp like you are in a tent and forget the generator. Maybe use some lights sparingly and the furnace 30 minutes in the morning only to warm up. Get the second battery. Bring your jump cables if needed in a pinch you can charge a bit from your vehicle.

eb145
Explorer
Explorer
kamperdog wrote:
Hmmmm. Ok I see, well I wouldn't be running it constantly thats for sure, just as needed or when the batt was low. They also had a 3000/3250 propane generator there too (also champion) They had some larger Generacs as well. Hmmmm... I wasn't planning on getting one and just running off the battery but last year I had to hook the truck back up to it and charge the battery some after a few days of boondocking. I thought about getting a 2cnd battery and switch to flip it to the other one when it got low. Decisions, decisions...

I was able to hook my truck up to the trailer batteries with jumper cables and let the truck idle for an hour or two to charge them up when they got low . I only had to do this once or twice a year so it made sense for me to not buy and maintain a generator for the very little run time I would need it for.

A 140W solar panel can also solve your problem if you will not be in heavy shade. A portable solar panel that you can move around to follow the sun can be very effective.

Switching to at least some LED lights in the RV can dramatically reduce electricity use.

Ed

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rent a generator. I'd go for a 3000 watt inverter genny.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.