cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out that the 3250 watt generator from a big box store that came with a RV 30 amp plug in adapter, will not run the A/C on my Trailer. It will only make 13.5 amps or 1625 watts on each of the 110 volt sides. The generator makes 3250 watts at 220 volt. So when you buy a generator at the big box stores and if it makes 220 volt buy twice the size generator. Now I am looking for a new generator. Any ideas?
17 REPLIES 17

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does the generator have a 120/240 volt switch? Some do, some do not, some it's done right, some it's not.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Also I would like to note.. My gen has a floating neutral.

When I use the gen for the RV I use an Edison plug to bond the neutral and ground...

RV's have floating ground/nuetral and this is a must have with them..

If your gen is bonded then you are OK..

I have a coleman gen by the way..

Read here for edison plug RV issues...

edison plug... RV ground bond issues..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Buster52 wrote:
I bought a Generac GP3250. It has a 220 volt L14 plug and it has a adapter from the L14 to a TT30 110 volt.

You can get an electrician to mod that gen and make it 120 volt.

I did that to mine. during hurricane sandy.. I have no 240 loads im my home.

So I made the mod myself. You need to flip one winding basically// But its all done in the wiring//

AS long as the wire molex coming from the windings has 4 wires. If not it cant be done.

Colman was nice enought to give me that..

4 wires from winding's and center is ground

Im a plumber 30 years and know the trades... electrical and what not...

So please dont flame me as this is dangerous. This is what all manufacturers do when they have a 240 gen with a 120 volt option.. Some us a switch, some have it hard wired...

You need to get the schematic from generac. The electrician can put a TT 30 in the 240 's place...

Here are my schematics before and after from my gen...

Note mine shows the original 4 prong outlet in the drawing but it is a 3 prong twist lock.

I use an adapter from that with a TT adapter...

Before

After

Rewire in the panel is simple if you know what you are doing...

Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

Buster52
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Generac GP3250. It has a 220 volt L14 plug and it has a adapter from the L14 to a TT30 110 volt.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
that came with a RV 30 amp plug in adapter,

sry just re read this.. So you bought a 240 gen and it came with an RV adapter....

OK.. Buy a 120v only gen.. You dont want a 240 volt gen unless,

...... many 240 gens also have a 30 amp 120v twist lock. That is the outlet you want to use..

Let use know if you have this
Mike L ... N.J.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Buster52 wrote:
I just found out that the 3250 watt generator from a big box store that came with a RV 30 amp plug in adapter, will not run the A/C on my Trailer. It will only make 13.5 amps or 1625 watts on each of the 110 volt sides. The generator makes 3250 watts at 220 volt. So when you buy a generator at the big box stores and if it makes 220 volt buy twice the size generator. Now I am looking for a new generator. Any ideas?

This is kind of misleading as the 3250 watt gen I assume is a champion is a 120v only gen.

When you state that 13.5 amps and 1625 watts from each leg is false if its a 120v gen. Both legs power the 120v outlet and you should get the full 30 amp rating..

If it is indead a 240 volt gen and has an rv plug then its still running both legs off the 120v TT30 outlet.

No if you hooked an adapter to the 240 outlet ( if it has one) And tried to run your RV from there, then it will only run from one leg of the gen...

With that said these are onsale at our local BJ,s for 249$$

This should start the A/C

champion generator BJ's

So again can you post what you actually bought?
Mike L ... N.J.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
He obviously means btu, not kilowatts.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
pawpaw47 wrote:
I bought this generator. It runs my 15KW A/C without a problem, it's extremely quiet and the big selling feature in my opinion is that it's FUEL INJECTED! No more carb issues to deal with. It's a little pricey but worth it to me.

http://www.powerhouse-products.com/powerhouse_product/ph4000rie/

Hope this helps

Pawpaw

15KW air conditioner ? How big is your rig?
I need some wild

pawpaw47
Explorer
Explorer
I bought this generator. It runs my 15KW A/C without a problem, it's extremely quiet and the big selling feature in my opinion is that it's FUEL INJECTED! No more carb issues to deal with. It's a little pricey but worth it to me.

http://www.powerhouse-products.com/powerhouse_product/ph4000rie/

Hope this helps

Pawpaw
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 GMC w/6.2L & max tow pkge.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Ed_Gee wrote:
Buster52 wrote:

I am curious -- what did you actually plug into that "220V" generator? Anything normal for an RV runs on 110VAC and you would have damaged the appliances, etc. had you actually plugged into a 220V generator. I don't think you have given us a clear picture of what you actually bought. Make and model would help for starters.

Yes, and that 30 amp, 220 volt socket would have 4 terminals, which the 30 amp 110 volt "adapter" would connect to only 3 of those terminals, thus only 110 volts.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ed_Gee wrote:
Buster52 wrote:

I am curious -- what did you actually plug into that "220V" generator? Anything normal for an RV runs on 110VAC and you would have damaged the appliances, etc. had you actually plugged into a 220V generator. I don't think you have given us a clear picture of what you actually bought. Make and model would help for starters.

The description given appears to be of a typical Chinese made gen set equipped with a 110/220 twist lock outlet and usually a duplex 110 outlet. The somewhat misleading wattage rating is also typical.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
buy a honda
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
it would probably help if you posted make and model of generator.
i'm assuming it's an open-frame contractor generator, right?
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buster52 wrote:

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad