cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Sam Road Side

rfporzio
Explorer
Explorer
I am researching road side assistance plans and was highly considering Good Sam.
UNTIL...I saw the catch phrase.. Unlimited to the NEAREST SERVICE CENTER...
SO the nearest center to my home is 8 miles but my mechanic is 13 miles away. I have to pay the milage charge for the additional 5 miles.
SO why would anyone use this plan when AARP and many others allow 100 miles at no cost regardless of where you bring it.
I'm also not finding any great reviews on Good Sam Road side assistance.
Since I'm new to this I would like some reccomendations from others.

Thanks in advance.
2012 Tacoma 4WD
2012 Camplite 5.7
20 REPLIES 20

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
rfporzio wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Reviews: ALL ERS contract to tow operators in the area where you are located (in nedd of service).

The good bad and/or ugly review belongs to the tow operator, NOT the ERS company.

Reccomendations (recommendations):

US Rider. (You don't need to own or have a "hay burner").

You're welcome.

๐Ÿ™‚

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We have GS and used it once.We were very satisfied with the service. I would not buy aanything from AARP either.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used Good Sam three times in ten years , all calls were professional and fast enough . I am pleased !

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I think the "nearest service center" is pretty standard. I have tow coverage on my auto/mcyl/MH policies. When my daughter broke down on the way home for the holidays she was within 10 miles of several service centers. But, I wanted the car towed home 30 miles to my guy. Insurance only paid a portion. My local agent cut me a check himself for the difference.

When my motorhome broke down I was only 15 miles from a service center, but the nearest tow company that would touch it was 50 miles away. My insurance picked up the whole $750 tab to the nearest service center, including the extra mileage for the tow company to get to it.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
OP, since you are in the research mode, surely you have checked with your parent company.

My assistance is with USAA. Have only used it once in eons, but was definitely pleased.

I have USAA and Progressive is the one that they refer RV and Bike insurance up in my neck of the woods. I did get the Roadside since it was only a few bucks a year more
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
OP, since you are in the research mode, surely you have checked with your parent company.

My assistance is with USAA. Have only used it once in eons, but was definitely pleased.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Is the shop that's closer than your mechanic, capable and always willing to repair your RV?

From the latest Good Sam Platinum Members Benefits Brochure.....

"TOWING SERVICE
Our 24-hour, 365-days-a-year dispatch center is available with one toll-free call. There are no pre-set mileage or dollar limits. When you call for service, Good Sam Platinum Roadside Assistance pays 100% of the towing fees for the delivery of your vehicle to the nearest professional service center capable and willing to repair your vehicle. However, you must request disablement assistance through
our telephone dispatch center within 24 hours of the disablement. If you make any request for your vehicle to be taken to a location other than the nearest professional service center, including your home, the mileage fee (for the distance in excess of the nearest licensed repair center) will be at your expense.
If you request to be towed to a location other than the nearest professional service center, as described above, you will not be entitled to any additional towing services for the same disablement. A request for a tow to your home would also require additional payment if that distance exceeds the distance to the nearest
professional service center."

The service center must be "professional, capable, and willing".
I would think that if your Ford chassis breaks down, they'll take you to a Ford shop (or dealership) as long as they can fix the problem and agree to do try to do it. If it turns out they can't fix it, that's not your fault, and you can probably call Good Sam and request a new disablement response, since the repair facility wasn't qualified based on their selection criteria.
Should be the same for GM, Mercedes, Cummins, Freightliner, whatever, and so on.
I find that if you can access the internet before you call GSRA, and can find a shop near where you've broken down that can fix your problem, the dispatchers will usually listen to, and approve your suggested destination. Particularly if you call the repair shop first yourself and arrange for the service.
As others have said, it can sometimes depend on the dispatcher, and how well you deal with them. I always try to assess the situation before I call, and try to have the answers ready before the questions are asked. Makes the process go more smoothly. I've never had a problem with a GSRA dispatcher. They always ask if we're in a safe environment and out of harms way, before they begin to discuss the actual disablement.
It can also depend on the tow truck operator. If they know a nearby shop that specializes in your type of RV, they can discuss that with the GSRA dispatcher, and probably take you there if approved.
Good Sam isn't going to stay in business very long if they provide poor service, and cause people problems. There's just too much competition out there now with all the roadside assistance options available to us.
I have been with Good Sam for a long time, and have always been treated well, and had my problems handled efficiently and professionally.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
X2 there all about the same, the person you talk too can really screw things up.

X1!!!! If the person sounds like they are not sure and gives you vague answers, STOP! ask to speak the supervisor.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
rfporzio wrote:
I am researching road side assistance plans and was highly considering Good Sam.
UNTIL...I saw the catch phrase.. Unlimited to the NEAREST SERVICE CENTER...

" that has the capability to fix/repair the issue with your RV" as opposed to the nearest service center that can't fix your RV"
I have had GS RSA for over 20 years and am satisfied with no major issues other than having to wait for a tow truck that is not located close to my location. At the most 45 min.

SO the nearest center to my home is 8 miles but my mechanic is 13 miles away. I have to pay the milage charge for the additional 5 miles.
SO why would anyone use this plan when AARP and many others allow 100 miles at no cost regardless of where you bring it.

Thanks in advance.

wouldn't belong to AARP if you paid me so that's out. we've been GS members for 32-years now and have used their roadside service maybe half-a-dozen times over the years none of which were anywhere near home. response times have been acceptable and provided services good. we're happy.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 there all about the same, the person you talk too can really screw things up.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
All roadside assistance companies have more than one level of assistance. Buy the highest level assistance. GS Platinum has never โ€˜limitedโ€™ me to the nearest service location.

The lowest/ cheapest of every company Iโ€™ve researched including all the companies mentioned above have similar limits.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
I don't know much about the AARP plan but my question would be if they will tow the RV, or I in my case the boat behind the RV, to an acceptable place. I know GS will.

to the OP: if they do handle RVs be sure to ask AARP if you have to find your own service/tow, pay them and then seek reimbursement.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coach-net towed our motorhome an extra 120 miles further than the "nearest" repair facility just to accommodate OUR vacation schedule, at no charge to me.
I really doubt that Good Sam would have done that!
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't know much about the AARP plan but my question would be if they will tow the RV, or I in my case the boat behind the RV, to an acceptable place. I know GS will.