cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got home from Hospital today

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Finally had the right total knee replacement done on Monday July 31, and now home on Wednesday. Basically, my doctor said I have no restrictions, except to use my head and logically, what I cannot do, well ... don't!

I can stand full weight on the leg, walk (with a walker for balance which they highly recommend for a few more days, but no problem if I want to tool around without it ... like in the house where I can kind of hold on to things for a steadier balance).

Therapy is extremely painful, but the affects of the actual surgery is 100% pain free. I have absolutely NO pain killers, not even Tylenol! The procedure they did blocked all the nerves in my knee by freezing them. (literally, it was pretty cool). So the knee is completely numb, even after 3 days.

But where the numbness stops is where is pain in therapy begins! And OMG! Some of those stretching exercises after a n hour or two of immobility feels like a rubberband stretch to the max right before it breaks! And everyone has assured me, the muscles will not tear!

Everyone says, by week 3, things will be back to normal. I certainly hope so. The knee and entire leg is swollen about twice it's normal size. That's what's really causing the stretching exercises to be so challenging at the moment.

I'm following Dr.s orders. I have all kinds of hospital follow up visits, rehab, Dr. Visits, blood tests coming up, and monitoring everything, watching progress, and keeping me on track.

Before leaving the hospital, I told my therapist I had a Travel Trailer and THE absolute most important thing I need to do was to be able to get up those steps! She worked with me, got a good system going how to do it (up and down), and the first thing I did when I got home was wobble over to the camper in the drive way, open the door, get up the steps, stepped inside, and said, "Hello good friend. I'm back."

We're planning on sleeping in the camper tonight, set up my Cryo/Cuff (Ice machine around my knee for swelling), and I'm off work for the next 11 weeks!

So, so far, everything has one well. The modern techniques for these surgeries is amazing! And I still have not had to use a single pain killer yet.

Just wanted to give everyone a report!
20 REPLIES 20

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
My Dad has had both hips replaced and took his PT very seriously - he has had awesome results. Take care of yourself.
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to post about medical things, but here goes. My Mom and my Mom in law got knee replacements about 3 months apart. My Mom didn't take the PT very serious. My Mom in law told her doc, I know you guys are afraid of getting sued. If you tell me to do 5 of something I'm going to do 10. Fast forward a year... My Mom in law has about twice the range of motion. Then fast forward couple years later...My Mom had to rely on a cane, then a walker, then wheel chair, then she didn't do much of anything to get around.

Just wanted to pass on personal story of how important exercising is.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
ICE 2 on the knee, one in a glass (with a lil bourbon)
2 on the knee, one in the glass

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Also, taking pain meds before therapy can make it less painful. Even OTC meds (if permitted by your doctor - ASK FIRST). If you don't have other health issues, an NSAID (ibuprofen or naproxen) is best, as it can reduce both inflammation and pain, but acetaminophen is a good pain reliever. Take 1-2 about an hour before your therapy starts (so it will have reached maximum effectiveness).

Your progress is amazing. When I had a total hip replacement 2-1/2 years ago, I had to use a cane for months afterward before my hip would take my total weight. I still keep one handy for situations where I am worried about my balance or there is uneven ground.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
That's awesome! I have not heard of the cryotherapy. I had a total TKR last summer, and did have to take substantial pain meds, especially before and after PT. Sounds like you are doing better than that!

My physical therapist recommended coming into PT with a full load of pain meds onboard. It really does help. I forgot one day and PT was MUCH harder without.

Keep that entire leg/foot elevated above your head as much as possible to help with the swelling. I would lie on the sofa on my back and kind of prop my leg up on the back of the sofa, and the swelling went down fast.

In about a year that scar will be a tiny white line and you will be SO glad you did this!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This is good news! Physical therapy hurts, yes, but you will heal best if you keep doing it both with the therapist and at home on your own. Ice is your friend.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed